Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lindsay
Newbie June 2023 Ontario

Spring 2021 Brides

Lindsay, on July 21, 2020 at 22:03 Posted in Ontario 0 14
Hello everyone!

My fiancé and I are getting married on May 15, 2021.
My heart is breaking for all the brides who had to postpone their wedding or change their wedding plans due to the COVID-19 pandemic (my sister is one of them). If you are one of those brides that has had this happen, I'm really sorry Smiley sad
Seeing all the stress and upset that my sister has had to go through, I'm worried about planning my own wedding.
Based on the Ontario Government stating that most regions are staying in Stage 3 for the foreseable future, it makes me nervous that we will still have these restrictions in place for May of next year.
Spring 2021 brides, are you proceeding to plan in the hopes that things will open up by next year, or should I be looking into a backup date for 2022? I'm not even sure if I should hold off on sending any form of save the dates or invitations in case plans have to change.
I'd love to hear your thoughts.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Alyssa, on August 28, 2020 at 12:46
  • Alyssa
    Curious December 2021 Alberta
    Alyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are April 3, 2021 but recently started the "what if talk" as, I connected with our wedding venue and learned some not so fun news. Currently if you were to have a wedding, social distancing or masks would be required on the dance floor and we can only have 45 guests and vendors - so actually 40 guests (as capacity is 50 and the venue will be providing 5 staff, me and my fiance are 2, and we have three vendors).

Originally we were fine with a smaller wedding but now thinking about 40 guests and masks/social distancing dance floor ... we need to think of other options.

• Ashley-Ann
    Newbie October 2021 Ontario
    Ashley-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It’s so hard to say, but I am feeling doubtful too which is so frustrating. I was supposed to get married June 6, 2020 then September 11,2020 and now April 30, 2021. I have groomsmen with suits, bridesmaids with dresses that already don’t fit and a dress I can’t wear yet. It’s a nightmare from hell! I would recommend holding off on any invitations cause we lost over 600 bucks on the first weddings invitations so lesson learned. We were making the invites ourselves so that helps with timing to some extents.
  • Melanie
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Lindsay,

I made the decision a couple of weeks after I commented to postpone! We’re okay with it as it gives us more time to save for a honeymoon we wouldn’t be able to have if we got married next year and house. We’ve been wanting to buy a house for quite some time and now the market is quite good. Smiley smile
    I’m still hopeful for spring 2021 weddings and look forward to seeing all this play out, hopefully for the best!
  • Lindsay
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Melanie,

I'm considering talking to my venue about a backup date for 2022 but I might wait until the new year to make that decision. Definitely hard when you want to plan everything out.
    Even though I'm not sure whether we'll have our wedding on our date next year, I'm still going to send out save the dates in September. I didn't spend much money to get them done so I think I'm okay to send them. What I might wait on is the actual invitations until we know more about what the situation will be.
    Fingers crossed we can still celebrate next year!
  • Kristen
    Devoted May 2021 British Columbia
    Kristen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We moved from August 22nd this year to May 23 2021. Safe to say the more days that pass the more nervous I get. Regardless we will not post pone again and we will have to tell some people that unfortunately we have to cut the guest list if they keep the limit at 50 (We sent invites out a while ago). I hate thinking that we possibly wont have the wedding we have been dreaming of but we cant keep putting the rest of our plans for our life on hold. Im trying to stay positive though! for everyone and their special days! Smiley heart Smiley ring

• Kaitlyn
    Frequent user August 2022 Ontario
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our wedding is scheduled for June 2021. We are planning for everything as we would have pre-covid but have also discussed what we want to do if covid does affect our big day. Honestly I think this is something all couples who are planning to get married in the near future should be discussing. We have decided regardless of what happens we will get married on "our day" and if we have to hold a giant reception some other time, so be it. We also made sure our vendors would not be holding us to a minimum number of guests in case we decide to go ahead with less people. So we are planning with covid in the back of our minds, likely knowing it will still cause restrictions but hoping it doesn't.

• Kelly
    Beginner July 2021 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm currently planning my wedding for May 1st, 2021. As of right now, I'm planning as if I would have pre-pandemic. However, I'm holding off on Save the Dates and invitations until I get a better idea of how Ontario will be. I've also decided to make a smaller version of my guest list to send out my invitations to close friends and family under the current regulations, just so I don't have to retract any invitations.

I would just try to make sure all of the vendors you're hiring has a clause regarding moving your date if you decide to go that route (fingers crossed it won't).

• Bethany
    Curious May 2021 Nova Scotia
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am planning for May 18 2021 here in NS. I am a little nervous for restrictions, considering the potential of a 'second wave' once school and flu season starts up.... However I am an anxious over-thinker, so I am trying to treat everything as though it is normal for now. We are hoping to stay around 90-100 guests for now, but if the restrictions change that plan, we will probably have an intimate family wedding, and then at a later date have the bigger celebration. I am not as worried about masks indoors. While maybe it's only funny to me, I could always have one mask for each person in my wedding colours and that is also the wedding favor, haha.

I would keep the possibility of a back-up 2022 date in mind, but there's still time to decide that I think.

• Melanie
    Curious May 2022 Alberta
    Melanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have nothing to add to this but I have the exact same fears 😞 (I’m May 2021). I’m terrified of a masked wedding because I’m hard of hearing and masks are impossible for me. I’m considering asking my venue for a backup date in 2022 but I’m not sure if they can/will accommodate that. I’m a planner so this is SO hard!

On another note, I feel major pressure to put out invitations earlier than usual because I know of 3 people getting married on my exact date. I’m afraid there’ll be a rush for dates next year. How are people handling this?
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem Darling!
    Always here to help! Smiley smile wishing you the best of luck on your planning!!! Enjoy every moment! Smiley heart

• Lindsay
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Amanda,

I 100% agree with you that i hope our Government restricts travel with the US until there is a vaccine. We have some guests who live in the US, but i am not comfortable having them attend until a vaccine is available.
    I'm so sorry you're going through this and have had to postpone twice, that must be so stressful. My sister is in the same boat and has gone from May 2020 to September 2020 to now September 2021. I feel bad that should things be better by May 2021 I'll be getting married before her now. It doesn't seem fair.
    I too hope things get better in the coming months. I agree with you that our Government is doing a good job containing the virus. I do worry about a second wave once the colder weather comes around, but hopefully we are better prepared for a second wave and can control it and open up quicker if it happens again.
    That's a great idea about the invites. Waiting until January is probably a good idea to make sure we have a better idea of what's going on before we spend money on invitations.
    Thank you and good luck on your wedding next year! 💒 👰
  • Lindsay
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your reply, Hank. You make some good points about being prepared to have your wedding look different due to COVID-19z regardless of when your wedding happens. I guess we will have to makr adjustments as we go and hope some of the restrictions are lifted.
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Reading this makes me sad - It is definitely a tough time for all brides having to postpone, no one would have ever imagined this!

Your comment about not really knowing if even 2021 will work out for a "normal" wedding also scares me because its the truth. We really don't know if these masks, distancing etc. Will still be in place, and in all honesty whenever the Government decides to open the boarder, (which I truly hope they don't until there is a Vaccine) there will be a possible MAJOR second wave.
    I am hoping our Government stands strong and says that the US can not travel into Canada until a Vaccine is found and you must be Vaccinated BEFORE travel - This way we can reduce this virus coming via countries.

I had my Original Wedding date July 18th 2020 Just last weekend, which we had postponed earlier this year to October 9th 2020. Due to the restrictions in place, we didn't want to take the chance so we have now postponed for June 18th 2021, hoping everything works out then.

I think you should continue planning. Ontario as a province is doing all the right things to help keep this virus contained, so I think we should be somewhat normal come next year. If anything wait until January to order your your invites and hold off on any save the dates as nice as they are, just so you don't have to spend the money on it IN the event you can't do it next year. You can always put together a website via WeddingWire and send it to guests so they can see updates, the save the date and stuff virtually.

If there is anything you need though - I am always here to help or just listen! Smiley heart Happy Planning!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My wedding is originally planned for Dec 2020 but we're prepared for it to be pushed to early 2021. And even then, we're prepared for it to not go down in a typical wedding fashion pre-covid. I think if you're planning for 2021, you need to be prepared that it won't be the wedding experience you could've had if you held it in 2019. Even if a certain number of guests are allowed, mandatory masking indoors could still very well be a thing or certain activities restricted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics