Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittany
Devoted August 2019 Alberta

Specific Cocktail Hour Suggestions

Brittany, on April 2, 2019 at 13:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hey Wedding Wire Fam!

I need some specific Appetizer suggestions, I am really struggling on what the majority of people will like.

Our cocktail hour is going to be about 2 hours.

Our caterer is coming for dinner only, we can supply our own food for the pre reception snacks.

We are thinking soft pretzels, meat and cheese trays, pickles, crackers, popcorn or like chips maybe (tostitos and salsa), and veggie trays.

We were going to do fruit, but our caterer will have fruit trays with dinner.

I am not sure if that will be enough to satisfy everyone until dinner and I am freaking out that that is not enough haha.

We do not want anything that has to be served warm.

Does anyone have any specific appy/finger food suggestions that can be prepped ahead of time and served cold?

Preferably budget friendly, and that adds some more variety to our existing options.

Our dinner is a classic two meat option buffet, potatoes, salads, potato salad, desserts, fruit etc..

Our midnight lunch we are doing pizza and chips/popcorn. Just for an idea.

Thanks! Smiley smile

13 Comments

Latest activity by Donna Yeung, on April 20, 2019 at 02:34
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

How about some quiches? Costco actually sells them in boxes that you can just pop in the oven. Check out their selection, I was surprised to see them have a bunch of pre-made food/appys in nice trays.

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh those sound good thanks for the suggestion!

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can make pinwheel tortilla bites, taco seasoning with cream cheese spread on flour tortillas and then topped with diced peppers and grated cheese. Then you roll up the tortilla and cut it into bite size pieces. They can be made up the day before. Can you use slow cookers? You could do meatballs.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh yeah that's fair about the oven! Can you get maybe 1 or 2 heated trays that have a few candles under to keep a few items warm? If not I think cold or room temp finger foods is more than fine! It's just to stop peoples tummies from rumbling before dinner is served Haha!
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We do.. but we have no one to do it, and nothing to keep them warm. Our family and us will be off taking pictures. Plus our venue has no AC - so I would rather not be running the oven in there on an August afternoon. Smiley tongue

That's why I would prefer items that can be prepped ahead of time (like the day before) and served cold or at room temperature.

I suppose some of those items might be okay like mini quiche or something? If they were cooked to where they were supposed to be, and then just served cold?

Haha and I agree with the salsa comment. FH wanted taco in a bag for midnight lunch... I asked him if he's ever seen me eat and how clumsy I am. Lol

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would strongly suggest AGAINST salsa... dipping and eating just calls for a spill IMO. Will you have access to ovens or anything to cook with? Grocery stores have those appetizer packages that you toss in an oven and serve! They're amazing I think! And if you go to costco or something you can get those little Sausage pastries in bulk and they're always a hit!

• Alie
    Frequent user September 2019 Ontario
    Alie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Some ideas that keep popping to mind are carb heavier options like finger sandwiches and melba toasts with different jellys
  • Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly, anything that you can eat with one hand is a great idea. I went to a wedding where they had little finger sandwiches, sliders, some skewers and devilled eggs. The other one I went to had cookies, donuts and then a bunch of dips and things to dip in them (pitas, chips, crackers, etc with spinach dip, french onion dip, etc)

• Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love tori's suggestions! and the ice tray would be perfect for any dips to sit in

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I mean if it's just the two hours then I would assume that people will eat them right up asap - but I can't see it being a problem for me! If it is a high concern the only thing I can think of is to maybe buy a blow-up table thing and put some ice in it? But as a guest I wouldn't care, a couple hours wouldn't kill me.

Inflatable table coolerSpecific Cocktail Hour Suggestions 1

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought about the shrimp and deviled eggs.. I was just concerned about them sitting out for that long. Do you think they will be ok?

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That, plus Tori's suggestions sound like more than enough!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds good so far, here are a couple more:

shrimp + cocktail sauce

Spinach dip + pumpernickel bread

ribbon sandwiches

cucumber sandwiches

deviled eggs

chips + guac