Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hank
Featured September 2021 Ontario

Soup or Salad

Hank, on May 25, 2021 at 17:40 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

If you're having a multi-course dinner reception, did you pick soup or salad as the starter? Why did you make that choice and what kind of soup/salad did you choose.

We have some awesome soup and salad choices and it's hard to choose lol

Soup or Salad 1

13 Comments

Latest activity by Alexis, on May 26, 2021 at 16:12
  • Alexis
    Devoted July 2021 Ontario
    Alexis ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The rocket salad sounds awesome 😋
    I’m a soup person, I’m really not into salad but we chose the salad for ours because it’s summer and we also are trying to be as allergen friendly as possible. We have a ridiculous amount of special food needs for a dinner of 50. 2 people anaphylactic to nuts, 3 people who are celiac, a vegan and a vegetarian.
    So we have a spring salad with no wheat/dairy/nuts and a main meal of a meat option or a nut free/vegan/gluten free option to cover all the basis.
  • Sara
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our sit down dinner is a four course meal so we actually get to choose a soup AND a salad. We went with Roasted Red Pepper soup and a classic Caesar for the salad. We tend to want to be crowd pleasers and figured you can't go wrong with a good caesar!

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love soup but I think the general rule is to not serve something hot like soup in the summer months when people are already warm
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh the struggle is real!!! That rocket salad sounds so good!!! So does the kale one!!! We wanted to go with a curry soup but not everyone likes curry (shocking, I know). Knowing your guests is something to consider (I'm sure you have)... We picked an option we knew the majority would be good with. For example, we couldn't serve that first salad or last soup if it was an option for us as my family is Jewish and shell fish isn't kosher. Then it depends on the rest of your meal; I saw some people saying that they would prefer salad as the meal would be carb heavy.... Our meals were protein packed, good portion of veggies, and light carbs so to us soup wasn't an issue. The soup went over very well for us!!! It wasn't a huge portion that you'd get filled up on; plus it was phenomenal as I said. Honestly, most people are hungry and over eat during cocktail hour haha (I sure did at our wedding as we took time alone then and our food was delicious). I don't think you can go wrong - personally, I'd say it's your wedding - what do you want to eat? Maybe pick that!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe for ours, we don't get the choice of a soup or salad. It's only a salad for our dinner package we picked.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    As someone who does not enjoy seafood (nope not even lobster) I would have that list cut down pretty quickly, that being said the rest sound so good....I dont think you can go wrong with any of them
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I just know that in my circle of friends/family salad is always the hands down winner....I would be the one that was torn. I love soup but I love homemade soup I feel like a salad is harder to mess up lol
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is there not a love for soup? I feel like with soup, it's usually a homogeneous thing so less worrisome whereas picky eaters would be nitpick on the type of leaf, the dressing type, or gag on dried fruits. On the other hand, people who like textures will enjoy salad more than bowl or homogeneous liquid lol

My fiancee thinks salad is more filling since we're biting it but I feel like a nice warm bowl of thick soup can do the job just as well.

So torn lol

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My dilemma is, our top three choices for both soup and salad sound absolutely delicious.

Thai curry carrot soup with sweet potato and maple bacon

Creamy Tuscan soup with tortellini

Lobster Bisque

Versus

Japanese cold yam noodle salad with octopus, surf clam, mussel and shrimp

Kale salad with hearts of palm, pear, and spicy candied pecans with citrus dressing

Rocket salad with goat cheese, bacon, apples, and mushrooms with herb dressing

• Kim
    Devoted June 2022 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would say salad for myself. Most likely the remainder of my dinner would be all carbs and barely any vegetables, so I try to be good and get them in before I run out of room.

As long as the salad doesn't have avocado, which is getting rare!

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We don't have the choice but I think even with us having a winter wedding I'd still go with the salad. I love soup but I know not everyone feels that way. Most of our meal is hot foods so I like the difference that a salad gives. It also just feels lighter when you are going to be having so many heavy foods.
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Winter wedding so we chose soup - the soups also sounded much more interesting than the salads. We had a maple butter nut squash cream soup. It was DELICIOUS.
  • Taylyn
    Curious April 2022 Ontario
    Taylyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think that depends on the time of year. If it’s summer/spring definitely a salad but winter or late fall would be soup for me

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics