Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Expert August 2021 British Columbia

Social distancing if we are allowed receptions

Sarah, on February 13, 2021 at 11:08 Posted in DIY 0 12
Hello brides and grooms I’m curious how everyone is planning to host socially distanced receptions if we get the go ahead for summer?I am planning on doing buffer tables (a table between guest tables) I feel that even if covid is more under control the idea of everyone touching the same items at a buffet table creeps me out!We have no caterers or decorators it’s a completely DIY wedding.By putting a table between each guest table and making sure each guest table has one of their own I can keep things a little cleaner.We will be putting enough plates,cutlery,napkins,sanitizer and a bottle of wine on them so each bubble can grab their gear and head to the food table.I was really struggling with the idea of adding mismatched plates to my beautiful centre pieces and making things look too busy so this was my go to fix and I think it will look much nicer this way.Our venue is massive capable of holding 185 guests plus a dance floor and with future restrictions I knew we would never see those numbers again.By using extra tables it will help fill the giant room and hopefully will keep everyone a tad safer.I would love to hear what you are planning.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Sarah, on April 1, 2021 at 16:24
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hopefully with people getting vaccinated we will be allowed 50 this august.
  • Darlene
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Our green zone in my area allows 50 indoors and 100 people outside. Everywhere is different.
  • Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow!Last I checked BC is only allowing 10 including the officiant and photographer.I am prepared for a small wedding but it would be nice to have at least 25.
  • Tracy
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Tracy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Spacing out the tables should be enough. Adding buffer tables between will make it look empty and be in the way so people have to get closer when walking around.

For the buffet just find someone you know with smartserve and ask them to do the actual serving. Call up people by table because that is their bubble and then they get the items you want to eat but not touching anything but their own plate. Set the tables with the place settings so people do not have grab, including extra napkins.

Good luck.

• Sarah
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you I will be sure to look into exact details closer to as the restrictions keep changing here.We are now allowed 10 person gatherings outdoors and the same for a wedding..Hoping things get lifted closer to the big day but worst case it will be an outdoor celebration and a ton of photos of just us and the kids at different locations.Regardless of what happens it’s going to be amazing.
  • Darlene
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I only know because I’m currently in the green zone and hoping that it stays that way until September. Sometimes the restriction outlines can be so vague. We have already postponed our wedding last year.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know I was reading the wrong part of the restrictions haha. I was reading under weddings at private locations (I.e. your backyard)
  • Darlene
    Darlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Green zone for weddings and funerals is 30% capacity inside and 100 people outside in Ontario.
  • Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had our wedding before things got really bad in Ontario and we were able to social distance. We ended up moving to a bigger room for our reception because our original one would have been too small for everyone to keep six feet apart. We also used eight foot tables for 4-6 guests to help them spread out and kept families/friends together so they were with people they were already around and would feel comfortable with. We also had rules and sanitizer as usual and people were pretty good about staying away from each other.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with hank I would just space the tables out but not have a physical table between. I also do not believe in Ontario you can have any self serve food. It all has to be served. I’m struggling because at this point even the regions in “green” can have Max 10 people inside/25 outdoors for weddings.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you need a physical table in between each guest table. Just make sure everyone is six feet/two meters apart. Make it wider since you have the space and can afford to spread folks out further.

As for food service, how is that being done if you don't have a caterer? Is someone serving the food? I'm fairly certain you absolutely cannot have anything self-serve, regardless of how spread out you make the space.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    One thing I recommend doing is look into the specific requirements places like restaurants or other event venues have to follow for social distancing in your province. There should be information like how many people per square foot, how many people per table, how much distance between tables, etc. That way you can be sure you’re following government guidelines re social distancing.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics