Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Peggy
Ontario

socan fee - scope?

Peggy, on September 8, 2022 at 18:38 Posted in Ontario 0 11

Hi everyone!

My fiance and I are planning a wedding for as early as Sept. 2023, or for June - September 2024 at the latest.

We're currently looking at venues and was wondering about how widely does the SOCAN fee advertised in some venues cover copyrighted music. For example, what if we were to play music from outside of North America? Will the SOCAN fee cover this or do we have to pay anything extra on top of the SOCAN fee?
And also, some places charge higher SOCAN fees if you have dancing than if you don't. Would anyone know why this is the case? (BTW, we're planning to have dancing for our wedding).

Thank you so much in advance!

11 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on September 25, 2022 at 16:46
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Probably right. I did ask a couple of venues when we were looking, its about $60-$70.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, likely since it's an in-house DJ that the venue set a charge for the DJ and the DJ passed on the costs to you by whatever flat rate they set for you. But since it's so miniscule, they likely don't even bother mentioning it.

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wasn't showing up on the contract, in either venue all inclusive or DJ package. I did ask before signing. So unless included and they just don't nention it is possible
  • Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's likely covered in your DJ costs, just not spelled out as a separate line item.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's likely a line item in your venue rental costs.

• Hank
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SOCAN pretty much covers all music. If the copyrighted music is allowed to be played in Canada, the fee covers it.

As for dancing vs no dancing, SOCAN charges different fees for different uses of music. Similar to how a photo can have different rates for different uses (ie an editorial publication vs commercial advertising), SOCAN charges differently for how you use the copyright. Because the value of the music is worth more in a dance situation vs a background dinner music situation, the copyright holders want more for the dance.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue did have this charge regardless of the DJ being in house or outside of their venue. Do ask the venue when looking to make sure if they make part it part of the contract. How much the cost is to compare with other venues you visit.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

SOCAN (Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers of Canada) is an organization which, under the Copyright Act of Canada (R.S.C. 555.1), is authorized to collect fees for the public performance of music in Canada. SOCAN distributes the money collected to Copyright owners in the form of a royalty.

Make sure to check with your DJ & Venue BEFORE you book. The DJ we were going to use mentioned this to us. Our venue has an in house DJ so that fee does not apply to us.

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've never heard of this Smiley atonished We were planning on just using spotify.

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Peggy, you can't move it yourself. I just did for you 😊
  • Peggy
    Ontario
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmm, this is a little odd... I intended to post this in the Ontario community group, rather than Plan a wedding... would it be possible for me to move the post to the correct group, or will I need to ask the moderator to do so?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics