Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jessica
Newbie August 2021 Ontario

Smile! Wedding Photos

Jessica, on July 4, 2021 at 22:43 Posted in Before the wedding 0 3
I'm less than 60 days away from our wedding day and I am having a minor panic attack about picutures. This may seem odd but I dont know how to smile, I have had depression for the majority of my life and rarely smile, to top it off I hate getting my picture taken but obviously I want pictures for my wedding day. I also have extreamly bad anxiety and know I will be an anxious wreck that day. So basically im looking for suggestions so I dont look like a complete downer on our big day.

Ive tried youtubing videos on how to smile but essentially I get photographer guides on how to make subjects smile and they arnt that helpful.
Please any suggestions would be great.

3 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on July 5, 2021 at 12:59
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would talk to your photographer. They no a lot more. When my fiance and I got our engagement photos done, we had no idea what we were doing. We had never gotten professional photos done before. She taught us some ways to look at the camera as well as positioning in the right direction.

• Laura
    Beginner August 2022 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'd definitely reach out to your photographer about it! They're the professionals and have likely worked with people who have anxiety before. Speaking to them about your concerns can ease some of the stress, and as Hank mentioned, they can concentrate on getting candid shots that feel more natural as well. Concentrate on your partner and the fact that you two are celebrating this new chapter of your life, and the authentic happy shots you're looking for will come naturally Smiley smile
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I suggest letting your photographer know so that he or she can take more candids of you rather than too many posed photos. Candids are captured in the moment and hopefully with your husband-to-be by your side, you are more yourself, you're relaxed and the idea of a happily ever after will come through and be shown on your face throughout the day. This way, the photographer is not asking you to take a picture while you awkwardly pose for one but rather they are documenting the true moments throughout the day.

If you'll end up having some posed photos anyway and want to practice, I find this helps. Make a couple of exaggerated faces where your mouth is wide open in front of a mirror: pretend to scream, make a goofy face, go BLEEEERGGHHHH, do the biggest HA HA HA (point if you have to to get yourself into it), etc. It may feel silly but just keep at it and really go big. Pay attention to how you look as you close your lips. Do you notice any difference between how you look there and your neutral face? There's likely a bit of pep or positive energy that comes through. All it takes is a slightest curl upward at the corner or your lips and it would look closer to a happy face than a neutral face. And from there, you can try training your face's muscle memory to react that way when thinking of your own goofy faces.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics