Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Brittney
Curious October 2018 Alberta

Small guest reception

Brittney, on October 11, 2017 at 14:15 Posted in Wedding reception 0 16

We are having a small/more intimate style wedding and I am wondering how others who did a small wedding did their reception.

Did you skip out on certain traditional things that you may have had with a bigger reception?

Did you do anything creative seeing as you had fewer guests?

How did you keep guests engaged and having fun?

Any suggestions or ideas are welcomed Smiley laugh !!

Thanks

16 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on December 22, 2017 at 19:09
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ourfay small wedding included most traditions. First dance, mother and sons dance, bollywood entrance and wedding party speeches. Bells gave our guests something for us to kiss about everytimethe ring.
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ya I definitely don't want to skip out on first dance. And awesome about the cameras! I may just have to do the camera 😁
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds perfect 😁. I can't think of anything else to.ask right now but I will be sure to if I think of anything! Thanks
  • Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sure! We are starting with hair at around 9:30 and makeup at 1 (only 3 of us are getting makeup done) and at 4:30 is the ceremony. We are aiming for the ceremony to end at 5 and from 5 to 6:30 is photos. Then 6:30 is dinner. We will have only a few people doing speeches when dessert is served. We are not doing any games or bouquet toss or garter toss so it will basically be dancing after dinner then cake cutting. Late night bar at 10:30.
    We are also doing drink tickets (about 3 per person).
    If you want any other specific info let me know Smiley smile
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are great ones. The first dance is one I wouldn't have wanted to skip out on, I know that for sure.

I was a little concerned about the camera handling as well, but it went surprisingly smoothly! Nothing broke and people loved it!

• Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The only traditions I really want to stick are the how the ceremony runs and at the reception the first dance, everything else is kind of in the air for priority.

I love the idea of the polaroid camera, our friends did it at their wedding but they had a few problems with drunk guests and had to control handling of the camera haha.

• Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the input, you kind of put it into perspective for me. I think I am more nervous than anything with overthinking what I will do to keep things going for so few guests. I think in my head I am imagining that it is easier to host more than guest than fewer.. I'm not sure why haha.

You day sounded fantastic, relaxed and really enjoyable! Ya I can't imagine having more than 100 guests, I am hoping to keep it around 50 max.

• Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What you have planned seems close to what I had in mind, with small and still doing music at the reception. Can you give me some incite into what your day is going to be like? If you dont mind sharing that is Smiley smile.

Thanks

Brittney

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My take is that you should incorporate whichever traditions you love and skip the ones you don't. Just because it's small doesn't mean you have to give up any of the traditions you love. We had about 85 people (small for our families) and one thing that we did that people loved was we had a Polaroid camera and a cork board and people loved taking pictures and posting them on the board and we loved looking at them the next day!

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had 32 guests. We had a brunch wedding, so a bit different than most evening weddings. We didn't do any traditional wedding things (garter, bouquet toss, speeches, first dance), but that's just because we never wanted those things. There's no reason why you can't do the same things with a small group that you could do with a large group. For entertainment during the reception, we put a crossword puzzle on each plate. It was questions about us and people really loved it! I wasn't sure how it would go over, but everyone really enjoyed it and it got people talking, which was good because many of our guests did not know each other beforehand. We didn't have a dance reception, we played lawn games and just socialized. It was exactly as we wanted. Even with only 32 guests, I still felt like I didn't have as much time to talk to each guest as I wanted. I can't imagine how people do it at weddings of over 100 people!

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are getting married in 3 days and we are having an intimate wedding with 38 guests. We are skipping the bouquet toss and garter toss. Since its such a small wedding most people will be involved in the photos after the ceremony so we didn't see a point in having any games or entertainment. We will have a DJ for the ceremony and reception though
  • Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nice Smiley heart . We would like to still have our first dance, we've had our song picked out forever Smiley tongue .

• Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a small intimate wedding and we did a nice 3 course dinner afterwards. So no reception, just a nice dinner.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No problem! You could do a photobooth to keep guests entertained? Even DIY it

• Brittney
    Brittney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the tip Smiley smile! I am hoping to have both small ceremony and reception

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One of my friends got married just last year and she had more people for the ceremony and a small intimate reception. They cut costs on cake, food, liquor, everything. It made for a very unique setting and I enjoyed it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics