Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S.
Beginner October 2022 British Columbia

Single layer wedding cake and faux cake

S., on May 20, 2021 at 21:00 Posted in Wedding reception 0 12

I am hoping to save some money on the wedding cake from original estimate of ~$400.

We expect to have 80 guests at our wedding and we plan to serve other dessert platters (TBD, but thinking variety > quantity).

What do you think of:

1. Having faux cake for the cake-cutting moment but not serve the actual cake?

2. Serving a single-layer tall wedding cake - would it feed 80 guests if we cut it into smaller pieces?

Does either option actually save a lot of money?

Thanks!

12 Comments

Latest activity by Carmel, on May 25, 2021 at 18:22
  • C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We only had 50 😆😆 our wedding was between Ontario's most recent lockdowns, so yup more than enough!
  • S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very cute cake tower! The colour coordination looks nice with the donut & macarons

• S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

3-tier cake sure makes good cake-cutting photos! especially since it was your dream cake. And it sounds like it was more than enough dessert for your 100 guests.

• Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally! We’re also not so crazy about cake, so having a ton of cake isn’t really all that appealing, hahaha! I love that you’re considering including gluten-free as an extra option for those who wouldn’t normally be able to be included - very sweet!

This is kind of what we’re looking at doing - super simple and there’s still sweets, without having a ton of cake left over. Single layer wedding cake and faux cake 1

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did the full cake three tier cake (even for our covid 50 person wedding) because I bake on the side and it was my dream cake 😅. We did go home with a ton of leftovers but we were more than okay with that 🤣. That being said, our choice for 100 people originally had the option of a smaller cake and cupcakes which all was the same cost... As a baker (again on the side, not business), I charge based on the amount of work, costs, and number of people the cake/cupcakes serve - this is how most charge fairly. We did have the option to go down to a smaller version of the three-tier but we said no... So the ways to really save money is to have less desserts (or smaller cake - a taller single tier cake wouldn't really be cheaper than a two tier smaller cake) or find cheaper dessert alternatives. That being said, you do not need to have enough dessert for your number of guests. Many skip it. Also does your meal include desserts? Ours was a seated dinner and included dessert so we knew that would add to our leftovers. The baker you work with should be able to guide you on this too.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're going to have egg tarts and wintermelon "wife cakes."
  • S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That marble purple one is a beautiful design! Very generous of your mother to offer to make the cake for you guys.

I like that you are combining desserts with savory late night snacks. Thanks for your input!

• S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So true with the wastage seen from other weddings! A whole cake serving 50 people sounds like it should be more than enough. I'm starting to get a sense that the multi-tiered cakes are more for 1. photo ops and 2. the cultural expectation of always serving "abundant" amount of food at a wedding (lol) than for feeding all the guests?

Definitely considering serving non-conventional desserts in addition to a smaller cake, especially for those with dietary restrictions who can't enjoy the regular cake!

• S.
    S. ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a lovely cake tower alternative! Thanks for suggesting it.

You brought up a good point about dealing with / hoarding a frosted piece of cardboard after the wedding. I think I am leaning more towards having a smaller cake + other desserts at the bottom now, especially if we can offer something gluten-free or vegan (such a BC thing lol) for our non-cake friends. Maybe some Asian rice cakes?

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am doing the same 6" cutting cake for pictures and cupcakes for guests. My mom is going to make the cake for me which saves a lot. The cupcakes for guests we will most likely buy. The cake will be out with fresh fruit, poutine, pizza so I dont think we need a lots of cupcakes.Single layer wedding cake and faux cake 2

I like the marble look one. I bought the topper off Amazon and I may put some of my fake flowers on it. Keeping it really simple. Maybe a ribbon or sparkly ribbon around it....

• Jenelle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Jenelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with Hank here. Every wedding that I’ve ever been to always leaves with a ton of leftover cake - especially if desserts are also served with dinner. My sister went home with almost a whole cake and hers served 50 I believe? So our plan is also to do the multi-tiered dessert tray with a small topper cake for the cake cutting pictures.
    But that also very much comes down to personal preference as well. What do you want to have for desserts? If you like cake, then maybe having a little extra leftover cake isn’t so bad! But it’s also worth considering some of the non-conventional desserts if you want to save a little cash on the cake.

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't get a fake cake as it actually doesn't save you that much money and you end up having a frosted piece of cardboard at the end lol. Just do a dessert tower for the cake cutting moment with a basic 6" or 8" round cake on top, which can serve 10-24 people. The bottom layers can be the other desserts you're serving. Something like this.

Single layer wedding cake and faux cake 3

If you don't care about ensuring every single person needing to get a slice of cake, you don't actually need 80 servings of cake especially if you're serving other dessert. Every person whose wedding I've attended always warn me on over-buying cake because they all had a ton of cake leftover. Unless your servers are actively serving each guest a slice of cake during dinner, most people likely wouldn't touch it if they have to personally go to the dessert table to cut themselves a slice (especially when you have other potentially more enticing dessert options available). But if you want to have some available for guests, I think a standard sheet cake will do.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics