Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ginelle
Beginner May 2018 Manitoba

Silent auction at wedding reception?

Ginelle, on May 22, 2017 at 20:33 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

So we don't plan on having a wedding social. Planning for one day is enough! With that said, I was thinking of bringing some of the typical wedding social activities and games to our wedding reception to keep it lively, a silent auction being one of them. Does this seem like a money grab if we are not asking for an attendance ticket and providing food and a open bar?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 10:49
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As a guest invited to a wedding and see silent auction. I would turn away from the table. It seems your hosting a fundraiser instead.

Wedding is allowing your guests to enjoy themselves and party. They are giving gifts to you in return. If your hosting a stag and doe, do the silent auction then. That money can be used to the wedding funds.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeah I agree with Sonja. I don't know if many guests would be impressed, they may leave if you decided to go that route.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not sure if a wedding is the right time to have a silent auction. I wouldn't do it and as a guest I wouldn't be too impressed.

• Momofbride(Kim)
    Alberta
    Momofbride(Kim) ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Many families pass the bride's shoe for the money, or a cash dance where they pin money on the bride to dance with her as a way to help newlyweds start out together. I even received an invitation that stated "as much as crystal and gifts are sweet, cash will help us get on our feet." because they were buying a house. I think brides have become so non-traditional that you can pretty much do anything you like at your wedding. I have come to expect the unexpected at a wedding anymore and remember you can't make everyone happy at your wedding, just make YOU and your fiance happy. Smiley smile

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have a friend that did a wedding social and wedding reception in one night instead of holding two events. I'm not sure if you are comfortable with doing this. For us, we held a wedding social to separate the event and I think it's better considering it's a lot more work than the wedding. Plus, I would recommend enjoying the reception without having to add more onto your plate and for it not come off as a possible cash grab. Hope this helps.
  • Alexa
    Devoted July 2018 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I like silent auction idea just because it is a fun activity for guests to be excited to see if they were able to get a prize or not. Could get guests moving around instead of seating a lot during reception. I would not see it as a money grab just something fun to do Smiley smile

• Loni
    Devoted September 2018 Ontario
    Loni ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Lisa on this one! I think there's a reason people save things like this for a separate event. I would just be worried about it taking away from the purpose of your special day - raising money rather than celebrating you and your FH.

• Ginelle
    Beginner May 2018 Manitoba
    Ginelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I strongly doubt I'll come close to breaking even with my family in the mix.. and we are kind of doing things non-traditionally
  • Lisa
    VIP May 2018 Ontario
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In my opinion Yes! That would turn your wedding into a fundraiser and not what's it's really supposes to be about. Asking for money in any capacity to me is a no no! To me it's about your guests celebrating with you, and it's already an expensive venture for both the bride and groom, and the guests. Most guests are aware that monetary gifts are preferred and most couples hope to break even anyway. I think the open bar and meal are a minimum requirement at a reception, to celebrate and thank your guests. I'm sure there are other things you can do to keep it lively other than activities that ask for money. Again just my opinion, but that's how I feel. Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics