Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashleigh
Devoted August 2018 Ontario

Signing the Marriage License

Ashleigh, on January 3, 2018 at 13:09 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 11
Hey everyone! I was just wondering if it necessary to sign the marriage licence as part of the ceremony? I always find that 10 minutes kind of deflates the excitement of the ceremony. I went to a wedding once where they signed it later at the reception, no one really noticed or missed it. Since our wedding is at 7:00 pm, we want to get sunset pictures, but the sunsets at 8:04 pm. We could really use the extra 10 minutes. What are your thoughts on this?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Sashanette, on January 15, 2018 at 22:13
  • Sashanette
    Curious April 2019 Ontario
    Sashanette ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We will have someone singing while we sign ours. But I don't think it really matters when you sign it. If anything it depends on the officiant.
  • Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Didn't even think of this. Definitely something to talk to our lady about.
  • Janelle
    Beginner July 2019 Ontario
    Janelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I get what you mean about it deflating the moment! I haven't really thought about this yet. I may just sign it after to keep the ceremony short and sweet. I kind of view it as one of those "traditional moments" like a garter toss that people may not care about as much any more. As someone already said, definitely sign it at some point that day to make it legal. But maybe we don't need 150 people watching us do it...
  • Kristine
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Kristine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our officiant had all the info already filled out, all we did was sign. Very quick and we got some lovely pictures!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on the Officiant, they may have the wedding party information ahead of time. We had to sign the marriage license during the ceremony. It honestly doesn't take long at all.
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hadn't thought about this either. I think we might just have it all filled out prior to the ceremony and will just have people sign quickly to make it faster. Or just sign it afterwards.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it took us all of 5 minutes to sign everything but I understand your dilemma. I think you need to discuss it with your officiant because they more than likely have experience with this type of thing. It does not have to be in the ceremony but it does need to happen to make the marriage legal.

• Karen
    Curious July 2018 Alberta
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With my wedding the officicant already has my MOH and the best man info so she will fill that part out so all we have to do is just sign it will make it quicker.
  • Brittany
    Curious September 2018 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I hadn’t even thought of this yet! But you’re totally right. When guests have to sit there after being all excited and clapping for you, and making your grand exit up the aisle it is totally deflating for them them to have to sit down and watch you sign a paper. I’m thinking we’ll just sign ours afterwards and people can watch if they so choose. Or maybe we’ll take it with us when we do our photos with our photographer on the property grounds.
  • Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I stood in a wedding where it started raining halfway thru so they got to their kiss and we all went inside for cocktail hour. We did the signing while guests were mingling. Some people stopped to watch, but most weren't bothered by missing it. That said, you could also ask your officiant to have the witnesses fill out their portion (in ON witnesses list their address which probably takes the longest) and that way all there is to do is for everyone to sign - may cut down on the amount of time it takes if you wanted to keep it in the ceremony. Maybe try asking your officiant what their thoughts are, they might also have some recommendations.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are probably going to sign the marriage licence either before or after the ceremony so we dont have to do it during.

I dont think its a big deal and its def not the party of the ceremony that people care about. Most people prob wont notice if it is missing!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics