Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jami
Curious July 2019 Ontario

Should money be a big factor while planing your Honeymoon?

Jami, on August 10, 2018 at 10:11 Posted in Honeymoon 0 22

I was having a conversation with my other half about a honeymoon.

He says it should be over the top best vacation to go on, money doesn't matter........

I do get the fact that memories are more important then money.......cant wait to create them!

My thoughts were, however, lets have lots of fantastic trips together and just spend an average amount so we can have more trips in less time in the future.

I also get we are spending quite a bit of money on the wedding, why not just add to what we have rolling anyways, go out with a blast! lol.......

Looking for some opinions Smiley smile

22 Comments

Latest activity by Natasha, on October 3, 2018 at 14:40
  • Natasha
    Devoted June 2019 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I feel it depend on the next steps after the wedding. For me I know I will probably start a family soon after so I want to splurge and take a big trip before I settle down.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your wedding will be over the top as thr cost is equal to what the honeymoon could cost for a fraction of the wedding.

Over the top honeymoon doesn't mean break the bank. Find deals that are half the price and same with inclusive resorts.
  • Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It just depends in what suits you both right now both with lifestyle and finances. There is no right or wrong answer. We figured a honeymoon was the perfect excuse to go on a once in a lifetime trip that we wouldnt be able to do once we have a mortgage and kids- so we are going all out with a trip backpacking Europe for 2 months Smiley smile

But we wouldnt be doing a big trip if we couldnt afford it. We are lucky enough to have recieved enough money from guests and parents to cover our entire trip once we add in my husbands vacation pay from the last 4 years. I would typically take a house down payment over an expensive honeymoon anyday.
  • Jennifer
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We definitely gave ourselves a budget for the honeymoon. The wedding has cost us a lot, we’re lucky we even can afford to take one lol
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sort of in the same boat as you where FH and I travel quite a bit, so why do we need such a big trip? But honestly, I sort of want a big trip. It's a reward for all the planning and stress for nearly 2 years of planning! As for budget, I think it should be within reason for the couple. Whether that's $1500 or $15000 is up to the couple lol.

• A
    Curious October 2020 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Travelling is one of the things we do together. As such, we would really like to go overboard for this occasion. We will probably not go until a few months after the Wedding, so that will help us save a bit (and pay off the wedding).
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't say money shouldn't be an option unless you have a lot to spare. We will be going "all out" for our honeymoon, we will be doing to Europe but we will still be budgeting, we will pick and choose what is best to spend money on and what we can skip.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In all honest it really just depends on the trip you want to do! I mean I would LOOOOOVE to go to Bora Bora and stay on one of those floating condos... but at $2,000.00 a night... nooooo way!

We are planning on putting any money we receive from the wedding towards our honeymoon! Have the wedding fully paid off before and then anything we get will be a real treat to ourselves! I doubt we would go over 4k for the both of us still though... we're getting a house soon and the extra money towards a nice fancy new sofa would be much more appreciated over time!

• Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you Erin Smiley shame

I hope you went on a fantastic honeymoon and got what you both wanted !

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We wanted to go on a really neat and once-in-a-lifetime type trip within a budget. Neither of us had any debt going into or coming out of the wedding and we didn't want any just for a vacation either. I think neither of you is wrong per say but I think you both need to decide together what is comfortable for you.

• Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree Emma, we don’t have debt now, other then mortgage... I don’t want to create any either... but I like the ideas coming in, really I guess there is time. If debt was like 2000 bucks I think I could justify paying it back if we went really over the top only because we don’t have debt already. We are a bit older too and have learned our lessons over the years and don’t want to return. You made very good points and I think it important that someone says it!
  • Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow Peggy!! That sounds amazing!!! Mini moon... going to have to look into that... never heard of it!
  • Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Neither of you is wrong, or right! But it's important that you decide together, and agree on what you decide to do, so neither of you resents it later!

My fiancé and I are having a mini moon after the wedding that is on the budget side, but then we are having our official honeymoon just over a year after the wedding - this gives us time to save up so we can splurge on the things that are important to us. We are going on a 2 (or 3, if he can get the time off!) week trip - we'll spend part of that time at Disney World, Universal Studios and then do a 8-10 day cruise.

For us, we decided we won't be in our room much so are keeping that basic. We will use credit card points to pay for our flights. But we are splurging on some things we normally wouldn't do - A dinner at Victoria & Alberts restaurant (will likely come with a 750$ price tag, give or take), a VIP tour of Universal Studios, etc. It's the compromise we decided on to keep my budget conscious self and his wild daydream self both happy.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    If you don’t have the money for it now I would just spend without any concern for budget. Yeah sure you are getting memories. But you can make mementoes in your budget as well. And is a bigger better trip worth sacrificing other things?

Starting off in debt is not a good way to start a marriage. I know nobody here wants to think of this but do you want to be still paying for your honeymoon when your also trying to pay for a divorce?

Spending money you don’t have is not a good habit to get into. If you start with this exception, next it will be the more expensive car, another trip, bigger house etc. They can all be justified if you want them to be.
  • Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wow I love this feed back!

Yes we have been together for a long time, best friends forever first prior to dating. We have a home.

Hearing different points makes it easier to swallow what he was saying!

Thanks ladies!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I have been together over 5.5 years, 6 by the wedding... and we have only been on 2 family vacas to Arizona together, where we stayed at my uncles house...
    Our honeymoon is our first trip alone together, my FH's first "real" vacation, plus our first 2 weeks as newlyweds (we go straight to the airport girl from the reception)...
    We splurged. Or splurging for us. We found an 11-night southern Caribbean cruise. For the 2 of us to have a balcony room, it would have been just over $5K, without anything else. So we compromised to an ocean view window and immediately saved $2K. My mom redeemed airmiles for our flights to and from Fort Lauderdale, and will be looking to do the same for our hotels we need.
    Our honeymoon is also our wedding registry, so we will be paying my dad back for his deposits. Its about what is comfortable for you two, and what will make you happy...
    For us, going overboard would have left us broke, stressed and guilty... but a budget honeymoon would have been underwhelming.
    I say have an amazing trip, but don't go into debt to do it!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    In all honesty, I say go big if you can. You only have one honeymoon, make it count lol. Although I wouldn’t want to go into debt for it if I didn’t have too. Or minimal amount of debt. We own a home, so my opinion might differ from people who are wanting to possibly buy a home after their wedding.
  • Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry I didn't realise there was a reply button, I am a newbie!

I answered your question, its up above.

Cheers!

• Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes we are also July and hoping for a winter vacation to get away from the snow!!!!!!

LOL man i hate winter!

We have lots of time i guess to choose. It will be somewhere warm and sunny Smiley smile

Thanks for your input!

• Jami
    Jami ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have some money for the Honeymoon. I am thinking he doesn't care if there is a budget or not, memories are more important and we could pay it off later he says. Which is true.

We both don't like debt but this could be one exception maybe? I am feeling tossed.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with both of you! hahah

we try and vacation every year. usually with our group of friends. and when we do those we usually go more affordable because we know we won't be in our room much etc.

but for our honeymoon...while we haven't booked anything yet. we are talking about splurging on certain things. like a balcony room/suite. or even a room with an infinity pool. something we wouldn't normally get for ourselves. but I also don't want to spend ridiculous to get that either.

I say find a nice mid-grade option. or wait the few months to go on your honeymoon (we are getting married in july. and we want to honeymoon in the winter)

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it all depends on your budget. Do you have cash to pay for the honeymoon? Or are you going into debt for it?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics