Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emily
Newbie May 2022 British Columbia

Should i invite my co-workers?

Emily, on January 3, 2022 at 04:45 Posted in Before the wedding 1 9

I have been working with this group of people in a small work environment for 5 years. In the last few years, I have really had to sit down and think: Are these really people who I consider friends? Or are they just people that I'm friendly with?

I had automatically put them on my guest list but the more I think about it, I'm wondering if I put them on there out of obligation because I've known them for 5 years and not because I actually want them there...

I worry that they would be upset and feel like they deserve to be at our wedding and I also worry if work might be awkward afterward but the way I look at it: It wouldn't be the end of the world in my eyes if they weren't there. Like there are just some people who you could not imagine not having at your wedding and I can honestly say that I can imagine not having these people at our wedding.

Should I feel bad if I don't invite them?

9 Comments

Latest activity by KELLY, on January 11, 2022 at 18:16
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I have both added some co-workers to our guest list. They are either good friends that became co workers or ones we spend time with outside of work...

• M
    Newbie May 2022 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am in a similar situation. I think if you need to invite them to reach a required minimum for your venue then sure, invite them. But at the end of the day if you don’t talk to them outside of work hours then it should be ok to not invite them.
  • Malyssa
    Expert October 2022 Alberta
    Malyssa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think you answered your own question. What I have been doing with my "maybes" is - "would my day be more fun with them there?" and when it comes to co-workers "do I want to spend quality time with them outside of the office?"

save yourself some head count/costs and cut them from the list! Smiley smile

• Maggnard-Smanta
    Devoted July 2022 Quebec
    Maggnard-Smanta ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You shouldn't feel bad. You aren't obligated to invite coworkers. At the end of the day, you want to be surrounded by people you actually wanted to invite. Don't feel pressured to invite someone because you feel bad for them. You're the one that is spending all that money too. Would you pay a meal at a restaurant for them? Are you that close? Do you girl!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my experience, it is extremely rare for coworkers to expect or feel entitled to a wedding invite for a fellow co-worker unless they're friends and hang out often outside of the office. I've only seen one instance of a person making a stink about not being invited to a co-workers wedding and it was pretty unanimous from the rest of the work force that this person was being overly dramatic and entitled. I think you'll be fine in terms of not hurting others' feelings.

There's always the option of sending them a link to a virtual broadcast of the ceremony.

• Angelique
    Beginner June 2022 British Columbia
    Angelique ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m not inviting co-workers too. If you want your wedding intimate and just family and close friends, don’t feel bad.

If you think their presence will add to the fun of that night, then go for it.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm only inviting 1 coworker and we were friends long before she started working for the same company. I think if don't regularly spend time with them outside of work, they don't need to be invited.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't feel bad. I have to jobs both of which i have been apart of for 10 years with one and 6 years with the other. I'm not inviting any of my co workers. If you don't see them outside of work, I wouldn't invite them. Just remember, it's your wedding day and your not obligated to invite every single person in your life.

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn't feel bad. If you don't see these people outside of work I wouldn't invite them. If they were to say something I would just say you are trying to keep numbers down in case of restrictions or you are just having family and few friends. (Not that you owe anyone a reason for not inviting them). If you were to get another job would you actually see any of them any more?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics