Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Marie
Beginner October 2018 Ontario

Should engaged women participate in the bouquet toss?

Marie, on May 22, 2017 at 18:27 Posted in Wedding reception 0 18
Hi ladies! Just wondering if anyone can confirm etiquette for engaged women when it comes to participating in the bouquet toss at weddings that will occur prior to our own? TIA!

18 Comments

Latest activity by Shelby, on August 16, 2017 at 22:24
  • Shelby
    Frequent user October 2017 British Columbia
    Shelby ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I say anyone not married can participate if they want to!

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is incredibly cute. Never thought of that idea before.

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If your engaged then I would say no. If you were only dating, then I would say so. Lots of my friends asked the same question. Even if they are dating they still should go try to catch it. It's only if they are engaged to be married, or married that the women should not try to catch the bouquet.

• Melissa
    Devoted November 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I did not participate in the toss while engaged. At our wedding, we will not be doing a garter toss or a bouquet toss. My FH is shy and doesn't want to peel anything off of me in a room full of people, so we are nixing the garter toss and the bouquet toss as they seem to go together.

• Daniela
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I was engaged at both my cousins' weddings this past year and I did not participate in the bouquet toss.

• Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think engaged women should participate in the bouquet toss because if you're engaged, you are promised to someone already. The bouquet toss was traditionally for women who were totally unattached.

• Marie
    Beginner October 2018 Ontario
    Marie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone! It looks like most of us feel the same when it comes to this tradition. I think the idea of giving the bouquet to the couple who has been together the longest is super sweet!
    Thank you all again!!
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing something different instead of the bouquet toss! We are still getting an extra bouquet but instead of doing the toss we are going to give the bouquet to the couple who have been married the longest at our wedding. It helps honour them and helps cut down on the awkward single people things at the wedding.

• Natalie
    Curious June 2017 Quebec
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I didn't have a bouquet toss at our wedding, mainly because I always remembered it being so awkward for the singletons who didn't really want to be up there lol!

I don't think there should be a hard set rule for who gets to participate. As long as your not married it's all good! Heck, why not include men and women? We live in modern times Smiley smile

• Marissa
    Curious August 2017 British Columbia
    Marissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

From what I've seen (in searches etc) it can be any unmarried women, or it can be unattached women. You can pretty much do whatever and just have your MC or DJ announce it?

• Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I always hated the bouquet toss and from the comments I see I'm not alone! So I'm personally not having one. If I was, it would be open to everyone men/women/single/married/engaged because that's the only way I'd ever do it.
  • Laura
    Frequent user October 2017 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have never been a fan of the bouquet toss and would go out of my way to disappear before this happened at weddings, so I let our DJ know that. He mentioned that nowadays he just tells all the ladies to get out on the floor, single or not, and makes it fun for everyone. I personally like the idea of this and we will do the same for our garter toss too.

• Donna
    Devoted August 2017 Quebec
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Marie I am with Simone here. But I think it depends of the couple too. Like if the bride who's throwing the bouquet wants just single persons than you can't partifcipate but if she doen't care if you are single or engaged than it depends on you. Like Simone said it more of a choice. Hope this help.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Marie, that's a good question. I'm not sure if there is a set rule for who participates in the bouquet toss in terms of someone being engaged. Personally, I would not take participate in it since I'm engaged, but I did take part when I was not engaged. I think it's more about choice than etiquette.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it is fine as well if you want to.

I personally hate them so I likely wouldn't...I tried to avoid them as a single person and always ended up out there anyway. It was fun when I was young and single...older and single not as much fun. As a result not having one at my wedding Smiley smile

• Jessica
    Frequent user July 2018 Nova Scotia
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I probably wouldn't, but that's just because I dislike the bouquet toss, I don't see any harm in it though, it's all in fun anyway!

• Tiffany
    Devoted September 2018 Quebec
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think it's fine for engaged people to participate. I was at a wedding where the DJ said if you aren't married you're considered single and can participate.
  • Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not too sure on the etiquette on this! Last August my friends got married and it was mostly couples and so I participated while engaged just to have some more people up there because there wasn't a whole lot! But I made it a point not to catch it Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics