Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Julie
Featured May 2023 Ontario

Second time around, oh my!

Julie, on May 29, 2022 at 14:05 Posted in DIY 0 14

Recently engaged for the second time in my life. I never thought that would ever happen again. The best surprise is when you're not expecting it at all.

Starting to plan this wedding and I cannot believe how expensive things are now (19 years later and after Covid-19). Since this is both our second marriage, we don't want to break the bank. We want fun, beautiful but affordable. With that being said, looking to save on the little things as much as we can. DIY here I come LOL. Bravo to all you DIY Ladies out there. Seen quite a few good ideas - but any suggestions are welcome.

I've seen a 50/50 split on party favours - yay or nay? Flowers - real or artificial (for decorations only).

Congrats to you all.

14 Comments

Latest activity by Julie, on May 31, 2022 at 12:15
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Congrats to you as well!! I had hoped since this was our second time around, that we would keep it low key, frugal. Well....he is turning into a Groomzilla! First time I have ever heard/used that term....but it fits for him LOL. He is more involved than my X ever was LOL

I have noticed that venues are definitely trying to recoop the last 2 years and I do sympathize with them. With that said, I have opted to DIY, rent, omit a few things to keep the cost down.

• Dessa
    Frequent user September 2023 British Columbia
    Dessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats to you and welcome to wedding wire! This is my first marriage and my fiancé... we've been together for 20 years and he surprised me. As an older Bride I am planning a mire intimate affair so saving money to put it towards the important details we want. I'm thinking on party favors too... I don't want to leave them out but trying to come up with something on a small price scale. As for flowers... my sister owns her flower shop and is a florist so I'm all set there...very fortunate!

Have fun planning! This site is wonderful!
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awww super cute!!

• C
    Frequent user September 2022 Saskatchewan
    Cc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes it is very expensive now a days to say like 15 years ago inflation is crazy. The candy and cookies well that's our children's ideas. They wanna pick a few kinds and help bake them. 🤗🥰
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Christine! Appreciate the advice. Will def look into the local florists first. As for the favors, i was going to opt out of them for the same reason. It's definitely more expensive this time around HOLY!. The quotes for places, vendors, the little things....geeeze. I may steal your candy/cookie idea though Smiley smile

• C
    Frequent user September 2022 Saskatchewan
    Cc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Congrats!! This is my second marriage but first for my fiance. We did fake flowers and definitely a word of advice check your florist first for fake flowers because sometimes DIY isn't always the cheaper route. I was gonna do my own bouquet and Boutonnieres and doing it myself was gonna be more than what the florist is charging me. For favors well it's a bit of everything from candy to milk/cookies and bags of homemade caramel popcorn. I feel anything keepsake like candles etc for favors is a waste because half get left behind.
  • Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Congrats and thanks for the Marketplace tip. Never would have thought of it. Im gonna start looking into that.
    I wasnt sure about the thank you gifts but the idea of candy suits ne just fine.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It's second marriage for me and first for fiancee.....less than two weeks for us 😉
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Welcome to wedding wire! If you aren't looking for a specific colour or kind of flowers for your wedding maybe check out marketplace or any other second hand bride swaps...if you go with artificial. You can some times score a great deal on flowers already set up! I also got my mirror (for welcome sign), centerpieces and candy jars for candy bar (that is our favour) on marketplace... I am definitely doing fake flowers because real flowers would have me in agony from hayfever. We are doing the favours just because it's a fun one and if people don't eat it, it's candy 😅
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Smiley heart

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Those are stunning.

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're so welcome hun!

Yeah! for 10 centerpieces, 2 bouquets, 6 boutonnieres and 5 corsages it was just under 1000 and another 250 for labor to have our florist put them all together. If we were going with real, she said it would cost around 3000. and she's working with premium flowers.

This is what we chose

Second time around, oh my! 1

Second time around, oh my! 2

Second time around, oh my! 3

Second time around, oh my! 4

Second time around, oh my! 5

Second time around, oh my! 6

• Julie
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the welcome!! Wow 3x the cost ?? GEEEEZE. will definitely have to look into artificial

thank you!

• Amanda
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats on the engagement and welcome to WeddingWire! Smiley heart

For party favors, my fiance and I have decided against this because half the time favors get left behind and to us that's money wasted where you can use that money towards something else for your wedding!

For flowers, we've gone with artificial for a few reasons. They were 3 times less then what real flowers were going to cost. We were able to choose whatever flower we wanted and not was in season. They will last forever and will not wilt when it's 35 degrees on our wedding day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics