Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gillian
Newbie October 2019 Ontario

Seating Plan

Gillian, on October 10, 2017 at 20:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
Having trouble coming up with a seating plan and I've been considering the idea of no seating plan at all. Wondering what the pros and cons of this would be??? My fiancé thinks it might be too chaotic. Has anyone done this or been to a wedding that has done it? Thoughts?

Seating Plan 1

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 9, 2018 at 08:25
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wedding is for your main family in the first row and others anywhere else they want to sit.
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would skip any sort of seating plan for the ceremony, signs like the one in your first post are usually used for ceremonies. However for the reception I strongly advise at least assigning tables to your guests. It cuts down on a lot of potential confusion and awkwardness, which is a great thing as a host to be able to do for your guests. There will be plenty of time for mingling during cocktail hour and after dinner. I went to a wedding without a seating plan and my (at the time) fiance and I ended up having to stand outside to eat. Table plans aren't too hard to put together, and WeddingWire even has a free Table Planner tool to help make it super quick and easy.

• Amyfanggg
    Frequent user April 2018 Ontario
    Amyfanggg ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If it's all family and everyone gets along, it shouldn't be a problem... If there are people who don't know each other, or worse if there are people who don't get along, then you might not want to go without seating plan.
  • Lesley
    Super September 2017 Manitoba
    Lesley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Please have a seating plan. I went to a wedding where i knew noone and no one sat with me and my husband which was so awkward. People just grabbed chairs from our table and added it to theirs. It was honestly the worst feeling.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think we will have a seating plan. People will figure it out Smiley smile we will just make sure there are a couple extra tables available.
  • Sydney
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Sydney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've personally never been to a wedding that didn't have a seating plan. I think that if you're going to go without, then you might want to have a few extra tables than what would normally be needed. With no seating plan, couples aren't going to separate, so you may end up with a lot of tables with one seat left open. It could still totally work though, and might give a bit of a laid-back vibe to the night!

• Amanda
    Super August 2018 Alberta
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We aren't having a seating plan. We are going with a sweetheart table for FH and myself, and "reserved" tables for our parents and immediate family. Even our bridal party will be able to sit wherever they'd like.
  • Daphne
    Super July 2017 British Columbia
    Daphne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    With no seating plan, you run the risk of having couples sitting at separate tables from each other. People will tend to gravitate to sit with those who they know and this can mean tables with one empty seat. Having assigned seating helps avoid having this separation of couples. It also allows you to save tables closer to the bathroom/buffet/etc for those who can’t get around easily, like grandparents and such.
  • Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I've thought of doing it but then again I'm thinking, I can only seat 8 per table, and I don't want to separate anyone. So my guests can seat themselves except for the reserved table.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics