Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sarah
Curious May 2023 Quebec

Seating arrangements... are there rules?

Sarah, on February 20, 2023 at 16:13 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10
Hi Smiley smile

We're now at the point that we're starting to get some RSVPs in for the wedding and we're discussing table assignments.
We have to coordinate people from 2 families, speaking 3 different languages... so naturally it's been getting a little complicated.
I was wondering though, how do you view your own table assignments? Should the parents of the bride sit with the parents of the groom? Is it better to seat both families separately from each other completely? Are there any etiquette cues that we should be following when planning our seating?

Thanks a bunch for any and all advice! 😁

10 Comments

Latest activity by Chad, on August 3, 2024 at 17:20
  • Elizabeth
    Newbie August 2024 Illinois
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Doing the same here. I assume your side of the family sat on the same side and grooms side of family sat on his side correct?
  • Natasha
    Curious April 2023 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We have 10 tables, 5 for my side and 5 for his. He has one family table and 4 friends tables (many are mutual friends for both of us) and I have three family tables and two friends tables. I generally say people with folks they know it would have common interests and experiences. You can do it!
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 10 tables and have divided them by group. Each table will be half grooms side and other half mine- coworkers with coworkers, friends with friends etc

• C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have our families sitting at different tables, his side on the groom's side of the table and my side closer to my table. Then I have my dad sitting with my aunts and cousins and then my friends sitting at different tables, so they aren't sitting with strangers as we do not have plus ones.

My friends wedding she had the head table and then made a T shape and had the brides close family one side and the grooms family on the other side. around the T shaped table she had round tables and sat people that knew each other together.

There's no rules, follow the set up, start with your side and then start his side, it will eventually fall into place.

• Natasha
    Curious April 2023 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can do whatever, but I sat out families separately because I had full tables of each family.
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think its whatever works best for you! I only had my dad for my parents. My fiance had 4 parents at the wedding. I sat my dad with his mom, and siblings. His mom/step dad sat with my auntie (she's like a 2nd mother to me) then is dad/step mom sat with his grandparents. There was two seats at the table with his dad and it didn't make sense to sit any of the other guests sit there (all family at the wedding were in those 3 tables listed or the head table) we ended up using those 2 extra seats for our photographers. That table was pretty much in the middle of the room so we thought it would be a good place for them.

• Kate
    Featured August 2022 Ontario
    Kate ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey congratulations! So so exciting!!

I would say the only thing I would be conscious of is making sure my parents and my grooms parents had a good view of our table/sat close to us.

We had a small guest list and my husband chose not to have what little family he has there (other than his children of course) but I think depending on numbers, I would probably sit them separately but have the tables next to each other.

We decided to have all of my family (mom, dad, brother, sister in law, cousins and their wives, and aunt and uncle) at one table, we sat with my best friend and her husband, my husbands best friend and his fiance and my uncle (who did not have a plus one), and then we had a table of six children - his kids and my nieces - it worked out great.

Ultimately I wanted everyone to be comfortable and did not want to sit anyone next to each other who did not get along/I could not picture vibe-ing too well(my cousins wives I made sure to sit separately haha).

• Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Yes, it definitely makes things go fast!.

• Sarah
    Curious May 2023 Quebec
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi!!
    Congratulations on your own upcoming wedding!! Getting the RSVPs makes everything seem so close!!

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely take it into account when planning my tables 😁
  • Julie
    Featured May 2023 Ontario
    Julie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm at the same point you are - getting RSVP's - exciting!! Unfortunately, my FH doesn't have any family But from what I can remember from the past few weddings i've seen, the parents of the bride sat separately from the groom's family. But you can sit them anywhere you'd like. If both sets of parents get a long, and there's room, you can sit them together. I would have done that if my FH's parents were still here. One good tip my Venue mentioned to me when doing the seating chart for our table of 12 is - when sitting the parents at the table, think of it as a clock. make sure to sit them at at 6pm so they get a good view of the head table and for speeches.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics