Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Natalie
Beginner August 2022 British Columbia

Save the dates - too early?

Natalie, on July 1, 2021 at 16:04 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20
Hello!
I am a Canadian bride and where I live we don’t usually do Save the Dates. But because of the pandemic, I am a bit worried about all my family and friends who have to book flights and all the weddings being pushed to next year so I’m worried about people being double booked.
My wedding is August 2022, do you think it is too early to send Save the Dates if I send them this August? I know it’s “customary” to send them 6-8 months in advance usually.
Thanks!

20 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on July 5, 2021 at 12:04
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course hun anytime Smiley heart

• Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input, Amanda!
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think it's too early at all! Before covid, my fiance and I had our wedding date set for August 8 2020 and we had sent out our save the dates in August 2019. Just so that all of our guests know that we're getting married on this date and for everyone to start looking at accommodations since the city that we're getting married in fill up fast. As well as for our guests that are wanting to fly there instead of driving. Our entire guest list including my fiance and I are are traveling to BC for our wedding.

We have since postponed twice and our new date is August 7 2022 and instead of sending everyone a new save the date we just told everyone through facebook, text and phone calls that our first postponement date August 7 2021 date has been pushed to 2022

• Heidi
    Newbie January 2022 Ontario
    Heidi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hello!

we sent our save the dates out a good year in advance just because regardless of the pandemic it was a photo of us was a good keep shake, now that iam getting closer to the wedding we had to change our numbers from 100 to 50 so i sent out invitations to thoses we could have in person and then did a large invitation out to others on facebook to virtually attend live. its been quite the experience planning a wedding around covid BUT iam super hopeful by sept this year we will be in a much better place, i live in ontario so we have been locked down alot...heres fingers and toes crossed hoping for the best

! i hope your wedding is all you have inmagined and then some!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

For sure. I totally think sending them early to share excitement or to let those who need to know to make certain arrangements is valid.

• Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely worth sending early then!
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m not worried about claiming people from other events that are more important to them. I am thinking more along the lines of booking vacations and planning their own trips around that time. With travel opening up within Canada I am sure many will be fitting in as much as they can next summer.
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hank,

I am more thinking along the lines of planning vacations and taking time off work etc. With travel opening up within Canada I am sure many will be doing as much as they can next summer. I don’t expect anyone to come if they have something else that is more important to them going on, I don’t think that just because my invite got there first means that I will “win”
  • Stefanie-Ann
    Curious August 2022 Alberta
    Stefanie-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’re welcome 💖
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think a year is totally fine. But don’t expect to actually claim dibs on any of your guests. If I receive a STD from a friend a year before but then get an invite from a closer friend 6 months before the wedding I’m going to the closer friend’s wedding. People will go to whichever wedding they want to regardless of when they’re invited. It is helpful for making travel plans though.
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Send them. I sent mine over a month ago for our June 2022 wedding. So I think a year out is no big deal as long as you know who's on your guest list. Especially when I forsee an influx of weddings next year, it's good to get your save the date out and into people's calendars
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to send them out if you want to share some excitement about your plans without giving away anything concrete. It's been a crappy year and a half, and knowing that there is something to look forward to can brighten up someone's day. That being said, be prepared for a ton of questions about the wedding where you may not have answers for.

I will just add that you should not expect an early Save the Date to mean you can claim dibs on the person. I'm just throwing this out here because with the double cohort wedding season in 2022, there's been an increasing mentality that Save the Dates are a race to claim someone's attendance at their own wedding. As an invitee, if there are multiple events taking place on one day, I will choose to go to the one I want to go regardless of which one I found out about first.

• Stefanie-Ann
    Curious August 2022 Alberta
    Stefanie-Ann ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married August 20th, 2022, we’re already sending our our save the dates. It might be the excitement or whatever, but we are also doing so to let people know the wedding is going on no matter what! When we send our invitations we will be putting a little slip saying something like “can’t make it? Here’s the link to our Facebook group to watch the wedding live”
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your input!
  • Natalie
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I sent mine out in April 2021 for May 2022! I think with everything going on its worth sending save the dates early!
  • Caitlyn
    Frequent user September 2021 Alberta
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We sent out our save the dates in August of 2020 and our wedding isn't until September 2021. Our wedding is on a Friday of a long weekend and it's also about an hour outside of town, so our main motivation for sending them so early was that we wanted to give people time to plan accordingly/book accommodations/etc. I personally don't think sending your save the dates a year ahead would be too early, especially since your concerns of people being double booked is very valid.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics