Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abbie
Devoted June 2022 Nova Scotia

Save the Dates - are they necessary?

Abbie, on October 20, 2020 at 20:13 Posted in Before the wedding 0 20
Just wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on the necessity of Save the Dates? I think they are beautiful (and a chance to show off engagement photos!) but I find myself wondering whether I should avoid the extra cost associated with them?

20 Comments

Latest activity by Abbie, on October 28, 2020 at 09:44
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like the idea of electronic save the dates - it’s a good compromise! Smiley smile I’ll just have to make a couple exceptions for the less digitally-inclined x)
  • Jamie
    Frequent user June 2022 British Columbia
    Jamie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We will be sending out electronic save the dates and then paper formal invites a couple of months before. It'll be in email format with a link to our wedding website made with minted

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wonderful - thank you for the tips!! Smiley smile

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Definitely something to factor in! Keep an eye out on Vista Print and Shutterfly usually have great Save the Date (and Invite) deals! We ordered from both (as we postponed and ordered “Change the Dates” and both are great quality and have very quick turn around times!
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have to say, I would love to have one to frame for myself Smiley laugh I'll have to look into costs! Thanks for your input!

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely not necessary, but a great option as you said to show off some of your engagement photos! If there’s room in your budget definitely look into them, another option as mentioned too is sending them digitally! 😊
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s great!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Costco! I was printing engagement photos for family and they were a cheap add on. I think we spent $25 for 50 of them.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Where did you order from? I’m definitely interested in cost-effective options!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't *need* them. We only ordered them because they were so cheap, and we hand delivered most of them to save on postage.

Ultimately I regretted sending them because of covid. If we hadn't sent them we could have quietly changed our plans but instead I needed to make time to talk to everyone. It added a lot of stress for me.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh of course! I think email is a good idea for those tech savvy guests, might have to invest in paper save the dates for some elderly guests Smiley smile
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great idea!!
  • Nicole
    Curious September 2020 Alberta
    Nicole ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We did a save the date video. It was a really short montage of pictures and at the end it showed our date. Our guests were spread across Canada and we wanted to save where we could!
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    The only reason why we did them was because I designed them myself and sent them through email, so it literally cost us nothing to do them. If I didn't have the skills then we most likely wouldn't have done them at all. But we still would've given the people that need to make travel arrangements a call to let them know so they could plan for it.
  • Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fair! Pretty much everyone is going to have to travel to us, but we are staying local haha Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I only sent out Save The Dates because we're getting married in a different province then where we are living currently. That way people know that they might need to make reservations to a hotel and such. If we were getting married in our current city that we're living in, I don't think we would've sent them out.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ah, that might be my answer then....almost all of my guests are out of province, if not international!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

They're helpful if your wedding is during a busy time of year (holidays) or if you have guests coming from at least two hours away. It's sent out early enough so that you don't need to give details of the wedding day but it's enough for people to book their travel and accommodation.

If your guests are all people within the city and your wedding is not held during any particular time when people tend to take off or be away, I don't see the need for them.

That being said, it's perfectly fine to go digital for those who need them.

• Abbie
    Abbie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a good compromise! Perhaps I’ll print one for each set of grandparents (and each set of parents since I’m sure they’ll want a copy!) and then do digital for everyone else. I have to send most of mine to England so I really don’t want to pay the postage twice 😅
  • Lee-Andréa
    Curious October 2021 Ontario
    Lee-Andréa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Personally, I'll be sending all mine digitally with the only exception of print-outs being for the Grandparents who have difficulty with computers and prefer paper notes on the fridge. Everyone else can deal with it IMO! LOL Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics