Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynne
Newbie October 2023 Alberta

Save-the-date, actual date?!

Lynne, on June 11, 2021 at 15:39 Posted in Before the wedding 0 14
Hi fellow brides/grooms-to-bes! Can we send save-the-date cards if we don't have our date set in stone or a venue booked? We have a date we would LIKE the wedding but things can change depending on venues etc.

Should I still send out cards?

14 Comments

Latest activity by Jasmine, on June 15, 2021 at 20:09
  • Jasmine
    Frequent user July 2022 Ontario
    Jasmine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you know your date you should send so that you can resurve peoples attendance becuz what if someone else has the same date and this way they can decline theirs since you sent yours first!

• Amanda
    Curious September 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would hold off for sure!

If you want to warn your loved ones of the year you're planning and the season and possibly what the destination may be thats a great start! But if you're in between possible locations like Jamaica/Florida for example I wouldn't even tell them what country at this point.

With my family members that were in a hurry to know what date I am getting married on, I told them September 2022. I plan on sending save the dates out in January/Feb next year.

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sorry I just saw that your date is October 2023, that's over 2 years out from today. You can definitely hold off on sending out save the dates until you get your details ironed out. Sending them out this early is really early

• Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I definitely wouldn't send out save the dates yet, especially if you don't have a date/venue. Wait until your date is set in stone. If things could still change, I wouldn't send them out yet. Like someone else suggested, you could send out like an engagement announcement, etc. Or even if you're going to have an engagement party you could send out invites for those instead. When is your possible date? Is it more than a year away? If so, no rush to send out save the dates, but also no point to send them out if you don't actually know for sure what date you're asking them to save. Pull the trigger and set the date, then send the save the dates out.

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would send out a cute social media blast about how you are just ironing out the major details and will be sending save the dates soon
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Lynne,

I would say to wait, confirm the date and venue then send out your save the date or invitation.
    Personally, we went through with thinking we had the great venue and date. Then now we’re here about to send out another invitation with the actual venue and date that we’re currently booking. It was very frustrating that I have to do this (even 4 months before my wedding date).
    Wishing you luck on finding the perfect venue for your destination wedding!
  • KELLY
    Super October 2023 Ontario
    KELLY ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Since you haven’t confirmed a venue yet, why not send out engagement cards to let friends and family know of the pending nuptials. Perhaps with a picture of you both with some sort of signage with the year you plan to marry?
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would wait until you have your venue booked and contract is signed. You have a date in mind but the venue you pick might have that date booked already
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should wait until you have the date settled. Otherwise you're going to confuse people and people might actually make other plans around that date, making them unavailable for your actual date. You also have more than 2 years until your wedding. I would wait for at least another year before sending anything at all.

• Lynne
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks hank!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In that case, you definitely shouldn't send anything until you've firmed up your plans. Plus, you're planning for a wedding that's 27+ months from now. There's literally no need to hurry. You can send those 12 months out.

• Lynne
    Lynne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I forgot to mention that we'll be doing a destination wedding. So we have to visit the venues first before finalizing anything. Hoping pandemic will slow down and we can travel again.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you have no date, there's no reason for others to save a date that may or may not be that date. Wait until you have your venue confirmed.

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would wait until you have something booked. Otherwise you may have to send out multiple save the dates. Right now id maybe just let the important guests know the season/year you are planning

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics