Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner October 2023 Ontario

Same Sex wedding planning.

Aulora, on October 10, 2022 at 15:26 Posted in Ontario 1 10

I don't know why its been so hard to find things that work with same sex couples!! But in the time I've been slowly planning this wedding, I have realized that alot of people are still against it... Smiley sad

10 Comments

Latest activity by Joy, on November 25, 2022 at 13:37
  • Joy
    Frequent user August 2023 Nova Scotia
    Joy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Many people I know will get a justice of the peace as that's the easiest options with no strings attached. If you want the religious aspect, look for churches that have a rainbow on their sign (many United Church buildings I've seen do, as well as some others), and try contacting someone there.

I'm in a straight passing relationship, and one reason I don't usually correct people is because I know it would make planning harder unfortunately.

• Belle
    Curious July 2023 Alberta
    Belle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im so sorry people are being so ignorant... LOVE WINS!!! My friends had a lot of the same issues out here in Alberta, but they spoke to other same sex couples to find out whom they used and if it was a good experience. The community came together in a big way to help find the best of the best for my buddies and those men... well they looked great, and the night was perfect and everyone that showed up supported the heck out of them. It was beautiful because of the people that came together to make it perfect. Find your people and know no matter what you are saying yes to love and forever with your person... nothing else will matter at the end of the day!! Good luck may the less jerkish people come along and you lovelies get your perfect day!!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you must go with a minister instead of a secular/non-denominational officiant, there are a number of churches allies of the LGBTQ community, at least in the GTA. Hopefully you find someone closer to you.

As for other vendors, if they are refusing service to you because of your sexual orientation, that is an Ontario Human Rights Code violation and you can make a complaint to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario.

• A
    Aulora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much!! Im hoping we have great people around us on that day Smiley smile

• Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm so sorry this is happening. Wedding planning is stressful enough! I hope you find the perfect people to surround you on your day.
  • C
    VIP September 2023 Ontario
    Carine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry you are going through this, I understand having a parent who is gay it was hard for my dad. Have you looked into getting an officiant instead of a minister? I know decorations are becoming more and more popular for same sex marriages, it's nice to see, but at the same time we are going into 2023, and same sex marriages should no longer be a struggle. If venues are giving you issues as well, their loss as I would not support them, and I would leave a review. Word of mouth goes a long way. This site is great you will receive a lot of support.

• A
    Aulora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats good Smiley smile My family isn't as supportive but my fiancee's family is so supportive Smiley smile But yes I hope its not a ever growing issue... Smiley sad

• A
    Aulora ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Vendors and unfortunatly alot of the ministers are refusing Smiley sad I didn't realize this was still such a taboo thing in our current day and age Smiley sad but I think it just means who ever we find will be a perfect match for us Smiley smile

• R
    Curious July 2023 Ontario
    Rebecca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Aulora

I'm so sad that you're going through this. We are both so very lucky that our families are very accepting and supportive. We haven't talked to many vendors yet so don't know if that's going to make planning more difficult

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ugh, sorry to hear that. As someone from the Greater Toronto Area, I'm fortunate to be surrounded by people with acceptance but despite being constantly reminded of that, I know bigotry also lurks around the corner.

Is it vendors that are giving you trouble about this? I wonder how they'll feel about it if a public review states they are not willing to serve a same sex couple for their sexual orientation.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics