Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaitlyn
Newbie August 2020 Alberta

Rental hall or venue?

Kaitlyn, on December 8, 2018 at 17:17 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
What's more affordable? Renting a hall and do everything DIY or a venue package?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Brittany, on December 12, 2018 at 13:29
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's not a cut and dry answer... it 100% depends on the individual venue, and what you want included in either your DIY projects, or your wedding package.

For example, I found a venue, it's the Alumni event building on a University campus.... So they have one price list for weddings, school functions, corporate rentals, etc... I'm paying $1500 to rent the entire building for the day (upstairs and downstairs, reception and ceremony). Their HIGHEST cost buffet option includes buffet basics (rolls, butter, veggies), 4 salads, 3 platters, 3 entrees, 2 sides, and a dessert bar.... For $47.99 a person! And it's 5-Star quality food. They have an in-house bar, as well as the basic event package including table/chair set up, linens, napkins, flatware, glassware, etc., as well as ALL the little extras (podium/microphone, easels for signs, cake table, signing table, gift table, coat racks, umbrellas for guests going outside, etc...)

I could not have found a bare bones venue where I would have to bring in my own rentals, catering, etc, and have it be even remotely as inexpensive as this package.

However, there are many, MANY venues that charge 3 to 5 times as much for the rental fee, their STARTING buffet option is $45, and you pay for ALL the little extras.

I would try and price out, as much as you can, your DIY option, and then use it as a base line when looking into turn-key venues. Keep in mind as well, unless you're going to book a wedding coordinator, or day of coordinator, doing it DIY means there's not venue manager to coordinate all of your 3rd party vendors, and you will need to have someone to be their go-to person on the big day, or you will be mega-stressed out. Sometimes even going with a slightly more expensive option to have the peace of mind of everything is there already and handled is a perk in itself.

I'm still DIY-ing a lot to save cost (centrepieces, decor, signs, etc), and went bargain hunting for my photographer, DJ, officiant, etc... But venue/food/bar, I wanted all in one.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Depends on where you are. and what vendors charge and what's included in a venue's package.

for example my hall will include tablecloths (short ones, not to the floor) at no extra cost. but when I had a quote by a decorator because I wanted them to do everything, they cut me a better deal overall. and shes even going to set up my memorial table/some signs i'm making, entrance table at no extra charge.

what I would recommend. is get quotes both ways and decide. we did that with choosing a reception hall. I had a questionnaire I created that asked whats included/meal/rental fee/gratuities/payment arrangements/set up fees etc etc. then once we narrowed it down to a 3 halls. I full on made a price/estimate chart. and that narrowed it down to 2. and then we picked the one we did because of their payment options.

• Kaitlyn
    Newbie August 2020 Alberta
    Kaitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you ladies !Smiley laugh
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It really depends on your budget/how much DIY/decor you really want to do.

For us, with long distance planning, having a venue package is way easier for us since it includes catering, table linens, all your tables and chairs, not to mention plates/cutlery/glasses bar tender service, etc.

So while venue packages might seem like more, just remember you have to factor all your rentals/DIY into the cost.

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us it was cheaper to get the reception package, Toronto caterers can be really expensive.

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends. We actually found it would cost us more once you factor in having to rent everything. And pay for people to work the wedding. Plus the extra time and stress it would be to set everything up and tear everything down. Most places need you to remove everything that night. So if you aren’t paying someone to do that (which costs more money) then you and your friends/family will be ending off you night taking everything down and packing up.

We actually found going with a package at a venue was a better deal. We weren’t charged a room rental fee, or for our choice of linens etc. And best part is we don’t have to worry about setting up or taking down anything but a few minor decor items we are bringing.

And none of the venues we looked at had any DJs or other vendors that they required us to use or pay an extra fee.

That said if you aren’t in Ontario and want to have an open bar, it may be cheaper to do it yourself. I would go look at different options. But make sure you are including all the extra costs for all the little things if you are doing it yourself. And think about hiring someone for set up and tear down.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

IMO it's cheaper to do the DIY more than the package but it's hard to find places that will rent you only the space and allow outside catering.

For me and my FH we had to go outside the city to find somewhere okay with that. Otherwise when you go with a package deal you are paying for the venue, their "executive chef" - aka $60-$80 a plate, their bar tenders - at $5-$8 a drink, and have to use their DJ hook-up or pay an additional cost.

Everywhere we went that would have forced us to use a package ended up around the $30,000 mark and we still needed to provide the DJ, wedding cake, outfits (including my dress), entertainment, favours, decorations, etc.

HOWEVER!!!! - If you can find a venue that offers a package in your price range - do it! Why not?? I would have if it was in our budget.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It really depends on what your budget is and how much planning you want to do.
    For me I didn’t want to be stressed out with any planning or decorating. We picked our venue based on what was included for the price. They also include all the booze, food, ceremony, centrepieces, any decorations they have we are welcome to use. I basically have to worry about booking the big things and showing up lol.
    Best piece of advice, make a chart of each venue, the price and what is included. If items such as chairs, plates, etc are not included make note of all the prices and add it all up to see which would work out better
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It depends on the type of venue, its location, the type of bar you’d like to have, as well as the type of dinner you’d like to have! (Of course there may be other factors as well such as the day of the week you decide to wed, your guest size, etc). It could go either way depending on those factors; keep in mind though that what seem like minor expenses (chairs, cutlery, etc. that a venue package typically includes add up quickly).

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics