Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daniela
Frequent user September 2020 Ontario

Rehearsal dinner! Tell me your thoughts...

Daniela, on February 4, 2020 at 21:50 Posted in Before the wedding 0 28
Hi All,

Hope wedding planning is going well!! Can't believe how fast time flies. The day is fast approaching and have still so many things to think of/do...one of them...the rehearsal dinner. Sigh. I am really torn with this one, have no clue what kind of style/vibe I want to go for. I don't want to spend a ton of money, the wedding is already just soo much and I don't see the point of going all out for a rehearsal dinner. But I also don't want to have just pizza and wings at a house lol

The wedding is the Saturday and we are having the rehearsal at the Church at 7pm on the Thursday. I think it only lasts about 30-45mins so after that we need to have something for the attendees.

What did you do?! Ideas please Smiley smile

Also, did you invite the SO's of your wedding party?

Thank you!!! Smiley smile

28 Comments

Latest activity by Beatriz, on February 6, 2020 at 21:34
  • Beatriz
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't had ours but I did price out some options. We want it low key since the wedding day is kind of formal, so i even looked into some pubs around our area. We decided to get it catered in and are hosting it at our party room in our condo. We are extending the invitations to significant others. I think at the end it was the most cost effective option and is informal enough were people can mingle after the run through.

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went to Betty's in Chippawa. It was very nice, there are a couple rooms that you can have to yourself. I think we had about 20 people all together including the kids, and that was just immediate family (Siblings, parents) They did table wine as part of the meal, and then if anyone wanted something different they had to pay for it.

Not entirely sure of the cost or any of the logistics as my in laws set it all up. But its worth asking and inquiring. Their food is really good!

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing the same thing - our rehearsal will be the thursday before the wedding! we booked a local microbrewery and will be ordering pizza for all our guests! we will also likely buy a round of drinks for everyone as well! that way it’s casual, but still intentional!
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah adding the SOs def adds up so I will have to see how much we want to spend!
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh well compromise is good! Im sure everyone will love that Smiley smile
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah I was thinking that but ugh my parents have done basically everything I just didnt wanna add another thing on their plate but it may just be the easiest choice
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ob thats good! Which restaurant if you dont mind my asking I see youre from the area Smiley smile
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just did a sit down dinner at a restaurant that does a set menu so it was cheaper.

We invited the SO's of the bridal party, and if they had kids they were invited as well. It was only a small wedding party as it was our siblings, so it made it easier for us to keep the numbers low

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing our budget friendly as we dont want to spend a lot. were doing the rehearsal then having everyone over for pizza and drinks and a cake. we are only inviting immediate family and wedding party. if we start inviting SO and kids and other family members its gonna be too much. were also just coming to my house after. if you dont want pizza cater in your fav food but remember all this is added costs...

• Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We did have to compromise a little bit when they offered their help. We wanted to order off the restaurants platters menus and get charcuterie and finger foods and then shell out for some oysters which they bring someone out to shuck on the spot. But FHs parents preferred a sit down meal so guests are just ordering off the regular menu individually now, on one tab.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could your parents host at their home instead? That might make for some "neutral" territory.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No worries. Honestly I’ve found a few with a pre set menu from $30-60 depending on what you want included /Smiley smile good luck
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh thats soo wonderful! How nice. It’s great you could stay in one place and kinda have like a whole weekend celebration!
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah agreed with the whole not upscaling! I guess I should reach out to some restaurants and find out pricing thanks!
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sounds like a great time!! Glad you have that space Smiley smile
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahha youre right my FH would be thrilled with that. I am just biased bc I dont loove pizza. Its not my first thing to think about when ordeekng food. A bbq would be good I am just wondering if like around 8pm might be too late. I could have it before the rehearsal but then ppl might be tight on time coming from work and what not
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ugh this would be a great idea if my FHs were not divorced and not in the greatest terms... we are not sure how his mom would feel about it being at his dads house and her coming into his home. I feel like we need to go to a neutral place... it makes things so difficult! But maybe we can just ask her
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Loooove snake and lattes!!! I wish niagara falls had something like that. I was thinking a brewery that had some board games and like jumbo jenga and what not so that may be an option! Thank you Smiley smile and noted! I will extend the invite to them too.
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like a fun time!! Glad your FHs parents are helping out, I am hoping the same 😂 we shall see
  • Daniela
    Daniela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I agree! Our venue asked if we wanted to do it there but im like whats the point if everyone is gonna be back there 2 days later I definitely agree with the no spoiling! Yeah maybe I will just chill out and do something more casual Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our rehearsal at the venue the night before, and just had my MIL make the food as this was her contribution towards the wedding. (The day of food was then made by my Baba as part of her contribution.)

We invited the wedding party and yes, their S/O's, parents, grandparents, officiant, and then also our venue owners (but they are 1 in a million and amazing so don't feel like that is normal).

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wouldn’t go all out because you don’t want it to upscale your wedding lol... with that being said there are plenty of nice places around. If the weather is good for ours (our wedding is in August lol) then we’ll be doing it at my parents backyard ... if not I’ve found several restaurants. Depends on how much you want to pay... another option would be places like Mandarin or Frankies Tomatoes

Most of my wedding party’s significant other is already in the wedding but I’f they aren’t then yes. They are invited
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We'll just be doing a back yard BBQ since the rehearsal/ceremony is taking place in my future in law's back yard. Super laid-back and casual. We're not doing a wedding party, but if we were then yes we'd be inviting their partners.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I don't think there's anything wrong with pizza!
    You could do a BBQ if you want more upscale options. Instead of burgers and hot dogs you could do chicken or beef kabobs with a few salad options.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My in laws are likely just hosting a dinner at their house. Very very casual.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don’t need to go all out for the rehearsal dinner.

We had our rehearsal dinner at Snakes & Lattes which is a board game cafe. We got trays snacks like party mix, mini grilled cheese, pigs in a blanket and smore brownies and people split off into groups and played board games. It was fun.
    Etiquette wise you should invite the SOs of the wedding party as they are a social unit.
  • Natasha
    Devoted May 2021 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are going to a local upscale pub with our wedding party and their SOs (who aren’t in the party) plus our immediately family and out of country guests. About 25 of us. It’s about 15 minutes from the venue. They have a room on the 2nd floor that is free with a minimum food and beverage order. We are pitching in but my FHs parents are picking up most of the bill as all the out of country guests are from his side.
  • Veronica
    Super October 2021 Alberta
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree with not going all out for the rehearsal dinner. Someone suggested we have it at our venue (as it is a restaurant ) and I was like but then that would spoil the wedding dinner the next night! FH and I just want it laid back and chill so that we actually have rehearsal time and time to finish any odds and ends. I know myself and my personality, and I am NOT going to want to sit around socializing the night before. Anyway, so I think we are set on some form of take out but not pizza. Something maybe a step from that.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics