Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Krystal
Newbie August 2017 Alberta

Registering

Krystal, on October 25, 2016 at 14:45 Posted in Before the wedding 0 16

Hello Everyone

To register or not to register that is the question.

My fiancie really wants to register somewhere but when we get married we would of been living with eachother for 2 years.

I dont know if we should register or not and if we do register what do we register for.

Thanks

16 Comments

Latest activity by Simone, on November 14, 2016 at 09:46
  • Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Tiffany, we registered for gifts as we have lived together for over a year. I would say there is no restrictions on gift registry and you share this information with anyone you choose. We registered with The Bay and Home Outfitters for things in our home. Smiley smile
  • Natasha
    VIP August 2017 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH and I by the time we get married have owned our house for 2.5 years we have almost everything we could ever need, but on the weekend we still went and regisitered .. we looked at items we would like to update in our home certain dishes and cookware that we would rather not spend our own money on but would be ultimately nice to have and update our old dishes. Plus my mother wanted me to register for my bridal shower more or less and then cash gifts more then likely will be given at the wedding which is routine for our family and friends anyways.

Its always nice to give people the option, even if its just a few tiny options for those who do not like to give cash as a wedding present, you can register for gift cards at your favourite stores to update some items around your homes. this is what we have done to facilitate for all our guests..... although i will not turn money away at all lol

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You bet! I'll let everyone know Smiley smile So far I have found out that we missed one in October....But I will check often now

• Amy-Lynn
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Amy-Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My fiance and I were just talking about this the other night, we both decided to register but only because I brought up that we don't hhave lot of decor making it really feel like a home. We have some new things but most is hand me downs as well, when married we will have been living together for over 2 years. My mom also made a good suggestion, we want to purchase a home soon and move out of our aaapartmen. So she suggested if we wanted to do a small registery, that we could ask our ffamiles for ccoupon, because both of our families are mostly tradesmen she said that if we got a fixer upper they could offer services instead to hhelp us save money that way instead.
  • Amy-Lynn
    Curious May 2022 Ontario
    Amy-Lynn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If you find it let me know as well please and thank you,
  • Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

i can't find any on the google!

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

UMMM HECK YA I DO!!!!!!!!! Text me the time and place and we'll make it happen! Just tell him there's booze and food... that's what got FH interested LOLSmiley laugh

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Wanna go??? We can just pick a couple things to register for....FH seems very medium-low interested, but I'm sure he would warm up to it

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

OMG I think they do!!! From a bridal show I went to it said the registry event they had had champagne and junk!

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like a great event! Wish there was a freaking Macy's around here!

Hudson's bay maybe?

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sounds like a pretty awesome event!!!

• Samtam
    VIP November 2016 British Columbia
    Samtam ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Valerie on the Honeymoon fund! We are doing one through Honeymoon Wishes and it allows us to be able to register for "experiences" such as a candlelit dinner or zip lining! We will be covering flights and accommodations and anything else is just a bonus! (One of my fiance's friends had sort of a Honeymoon fund but it was more just like "you can donate through PayPal towards our honeymoon" which I didn't think was as nice as having it go towards something specific.) We've already received some positive feedback from family members saying that they liked being able to help us create our first memories as newlyweds rather than giving us something that we might end up returning or upgrading down the line.

We did also do a traditional registry through Macy's because a lot of our stuff is left over from college as well. We went to a Macy's Sip and Scan event and it was a lot of fun! I would definitely recommend it if you end up doing a tradtional registry. They had drinks and hors d'oeuvres for the couples and a DJ playing music. There were representatives from the major brands there so you could ask them questions as you were registering.

• Valerie
    VIP April 2017 Ontario
    Valerie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I hear you... When we get married we'll have been living together for 2.5 years (and I had been living on my own for nearly 10 years before that!). So while we currently have everything we need we did decide to register for "upgrades". For example, my towels and sheets are pretty much the ones I had in college and they are looking WARN OUT! So I have all new MATCHING towels and some nice sheets. Also a few kitchen things that I've had as hand-me-downs or second hand that are on the fritz, and MATCHING silverware... not the half plastic super bent cutlery I'm currently using haha! We just kept the registry fairly small as there are many people that still really prefer to get people a traditional physical gift.

Also we have a small honeymoon fund. I thought it over A LOT (as the topic is very polarizing with people, they either love it or think it's incredibly tacky) and decided that asking for money for flights and accomodations felt rude, but we put some excurions and massages on the list, as I LOVE travelling and some family and friends loved the idea of getting us an experience over an item/money.

Hope that helps!

• Emilie
    Featured Quebec
    Emilie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Krystal Smiley heart Welcome to the community!!

I am so glad you're reaching out about this! Smiley smile I think it's an honest debate and you can definitely choose to for a wedding registry or not.

Once you made your decision you can tell your guests what you'd prefer through your wedding website or by mentionning it to your close family and friends so that if anyone asks them they know what you'll prefer.

And if you're planning to ask for money instead of making a registry, you can tell your guests what the money would contribute to, like honeymoon, buying a house, etc.

You could also make something like this for your wedding:

Honeymoon Fund Idea

How do you like the idea? Smiley smile

• Eartha
    Devoted April 2017 Ontario
    Eartha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have the same issue... By the time we are married; we will have been living together for 1 year...

And I totally agree with you Melissa, I also do not have any more space for more stuff Smiley atonished Smiley atonished Smiley atonished

Hopefully this will be clear enough to our guests that cash gift is preferred....

• Melissa
    VIP June 2017 Ontario
    Melissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had a similar debate- by the time we are married we will have been living together two years too!

We have decided not to register- we don't need anything for our apartment- and frankly don't have the space for more stuff! We are hoping this will convey to any gift givers that a cash gift is preferred- but we are also telling anyone who asks simply "no gifts please"!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics