Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ashley
Expert March 2018 Ontario

Recieving line or no recieving line?

Ashley, on September 11, 2017 at 10:05 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12

Happy Monday Everyone!

Just wanted to know how many of you are having a receiving line and what exactly is a receiving line? I want to be able to see everyone at our wedding but I don't want to have to get up during dinner or throughout the reception to say hello. I want to be able to sit back and enjoy everything without feeling the pressure to see everyone.

Thank you!

Ashley

12 Comments

Latest activity by Becca, on September 20, 2017 at 12:41
  • Becca
    Curious October 2019 Ontario
    Becca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

IMO the receiving line makes it so that i can sit back and enjoy the wedding with no pressure. It gives everyone a chance to get a picture and say hi to me and the groom so that for the rest of the wedding i can eat and dance in peace lol

After some great advice from the ladies on wedding wire my FH and i decided were doing the receiving line with just the two of us (no family or wedding party) so that its fast and more efficient.

• Tavia
    Newbie October 2018 Ontario
    Tavia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I find that people will come to you no matter what you do and a line forms regardless. I have seen it done both ways. With the line if you include bride, groom, wedding party and parents it tends to get a little long and can slow down a lot depending on how long people stay and talk for, however it does give everyone a chance to see the bride and groom individually and meet all the other wedding party. If you don't do the line then while dinner is happening you get served first then go around to the tables to greet everyone which is more casual and relaxed.

• Ashley
    Expert March 2018 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your responses! We will be having between 85-110 people at our wedding but between ceremony and reception we are quickly doing family photos and then going offsite with our wedding party to take photos. How long does it usually take for a receiving line?

Thank you all!

• Ashley
    Super June 2018 Alberta
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not doing one as we have a fairly large guest list. We're just having our ceremony and getting the heck out of there for pictures to be taken.

• Vanessa
    Expert August 2018 Manitoba
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely will be having a receiving line just don't know how to do it either as our wedding guest list including our wedding party is 250 people.

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I want to have a receiving line - but was talking to my venue last week and they said they haven't had any weddings do a receiving line... so I still want to do one to avoid the table visits throughout the night so I can enjoy the celebrations on the dance floor!
    We're getting married and having the reception at one location at a golf course - so it's not a typical set up for a receiving line.. which might be why no one has done one there before.. .

• Ap2017
    Super September 2017 Ontario
    Ap2017 ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're having one after our cocktail hour so we have a chance to say hi to everyone. But it's just us standing in the line, no attendants or parents. We're hoping it makes it go by a bit faster!

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No receiving line for us. We will probably just talk to people throughout the evening.

• Maegan
    Super July 2018 British Columbia
    Maegan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No recieving line for us... We have arranged to do our photos before the ceremony so that we will have time during a happy hour before dinner to roam around and chat with everybody... We have a large guest list (140) so itll take a while!
  • Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You definitely want to greet and thank each of your guests individually at the wedding, but it's up to you how you do it Smiley smile

At my wedding we did table visits because we thought they would be faster, but it did end up taking a long time! We also got a lot of our individual greetings out of the way early at our rehearsal dinner and welcome reception the night before. You can absolutely tell who is a "professional wedding guest" - those people give a fast hello and hug and say "I know you have a lot of other people to talk to and I don't want to monopolize your time!" Smiley heart

You can have a traditional receiving line when guests enter your cocktail hour (or reception if you aren't having a cocktail hour), or I've also heard of couples who dismiss each row of guests from the ceremony and do a quick 'Hi! So good to see you, thanks for coming!' as they go row by row!

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We won't be having a receiving line as we only have 36 guests so we have the time to go see each person. It's totally up to you. You said you'd like to not feel pressure to run around to see everyone throughout the night so perhaps a receiving line would be best for you especially if you have a lot of guests
  • Sonja
    VIP September 2017 Ontario
    Sonja ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We won't be having a receiving line but if we did, it would consist of just my husband and I. Traditional receiving lines have the bride and groom, MOH and best man, bridesmaids and groomsmen, and parents of both the bride and groom.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics