Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Newbie April 2018 Alberta

Reception Venue Banff or Canmore?

Lindsay, on October 16, 2017 at 15:56 Posted in Wedding reception 0 10

Hi everyone,

I am recently engaged and trying to plan my rocky mountain wedding from afar. I am stuck between booking the Buffalo Mountain Lodge in Banff or Murrietta's in Canmore for our reception? Does anyone have experience with either? Our date is available at both and since we can't be there in person to check it out we are having a tough time deciding. Options and comments welcome!

10 Comments

Latest activity by Lindsay, on December 14, 2017 at 13:01
  • L
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I decided on BML because we wanted a place where our guests could all be together for the weekend, the fact that it's a hotel is what made our final decision.

• Bethany
    Super July 2018 Alberta
    Bethany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've heard really good things about weddings in Banff! Everyone that I talk to who had their wedding in the mountains had it in Banff! Super excited and happy for you! I hope everything turns out!!
  • Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hey Lindsay, that's great! What helped you reach your final decision that that was the place for you?

If you need help updating your wedding date on your profile just let me know Smiley smile

• L
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thank-you for all the helpful comments! We ended up booking with Buffalo Mountain Lodge in April, 2018. We really wanted all of our guests to stay on the same property to make it feel like a vacation weekend for the whole group. I am very excited!

• Alexa
    Frequent user December 2017 Alberta
    Alexa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I looked at sooo many venues in Banff and Canmore. We have a pretty popular date and we were budget conscious, so I had a lot to consider. I ended up going with the Banff Rocky Mountain Resort and I loooveee it. They do decor packages, they have 2 different rooms to choose from, it's kind of removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown, and it's beautiful. I would suggest taking a look!
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You could also try Cochrane Ranche House in Cochrane. Beautiful venue!

• L
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank-you for your comment! Someone told me the Wapiti room at Buffalo Mountain Lodge would require a lot more decor but from all of the pictures it doesn't really look like it. I like the idea of having all of our guests staying together at the lodge for the weekend though.

• Kayla
    Devoted September 2017 Alberta
    Kayla ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm from Canmore and i'd go Buffalo Mountain Lodge.

That's where i first started looking when planning my wedding. It's SO cute and fits the mountain theme.

Murrietta's is nice and food is pretty good! It's right downtown so if you need anything, it's all right there.

• Lynnie
    WeddingWire Admin October 2016 North Carolina
    Lynnie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congrats and welcome to WeddingWire Lindsay!

Both of those venues look gorgeous Smiley heart

Buffalo Mountain Lodge is on WeddingWire, so make sure to check out their reviews and pictures!

Buffalo Mountain Lodge Reviews

Real Weddings at Buffalo Mountain Lodge

I was also able to find some great pictures of weddings at Murrietta's (pro tip - always try googling "real wedding + {venue name}"):

Pictures from Red Bloom Photography:

http://www.redbloomphotography.com/canmore-wedding-photographers-3/

Pictures from Paisley Photography :

http://paisleyphotos.ca/murrietas-restaurant-canmore-wedding-paul-jennifers-mountain-wedding/

Pictures from Winter Lotus Photography :

http://www.winterlotusphotography.com/wedding-canmore-murrietas-bar-grill/

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Congratulations! Smiley smile

We originally thought of getting hitched in the mountains, but decided to forgo with that idea since 95% of our family/friends live in Ottawa. It would've been an expensive destination wedding for them.

We love Buffalo Mountain Lodge but like most of the places in Banff, their price point was a bit our of range for most of our guests. We ended up deciding on getting married back in Ottawa.

On a personal note though, we live in Calgary and prefer Canmore, as it is less touristy, less expensive than Banff and since you're outside the National Park, you don't have to pay a fee for the duration of your stay (it's free until the end of the 2017).

When our parents and friends visit, we usually stay in Canmore, as it has more options for accommodations (AirBnB, Condos, Hotels, Motels, etc.), if you want to offer different price ranges for your guests.

If you're having a smaller wedding, you should look into Creekside Villa in Canmore.

Happy Planning!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics