Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kylie
Newbie February 2017 Manitoba

Reception traditions

Kylie, on April 5, 2017 at 22:49 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
Hi everyone!
My husband and I are having a wedding reception for our friends and extended family in June; we eloped in February. I was just wondering what your opinions are on reception traditions. For example, Guest book. How necessary is it to have a guest book? What are your opinions on it?First dance. I know my mother in-law will want the mother son dance, but to have the husband wife dance, and have all those people looking at you, it's overwhelming....what do you think? Should I just suck it up cause it's only 3 minutes?
Thank you! Smiley smile

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 13:15
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Guest book we did, mother and son dance, first dance and cake cutting. We did include a bollywood grand entrance with our wedding party.

Reception traditions 1
  • Denise
    Frequent user May 2018 Ontario
    Denise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's entirely up to you and what you find -- and your husband -- find meaningful.

I've seen so many traditions growing up, like the garter toss, etc. I'm doing only the first dance and cake cutting from what I consider traditional wedding stuff. Opting out of a guest book because I feel that the video and photos will serve as my meaningful memories.

One Turkish (I'm half-Turkish) reception tradition is for your single friends/relatives to write their names on the soles of your wedding shoes. Whosever name is rubbed out the most, is getting married next. I'm doing this in lieu of a bouquet toss.

Do whatever makes you happy on your special day.

And to add, while it is awkward to have people looking at you during your first dance, they're happy for you and your husband. :-)

• Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're not doing some of the "traditional" wedding things. We're not doing a first dance because we aren't having a dance party. I think it is really romantic, but it doesn't really fit in. We're also most definitely not doing the whole garter thing and I won't be doing a bouquet toss. We also probably won't be having a ton of speeches. We are going to allow people to do a short toast if they want and we will give a speech to thank everyone for coming, but no long winded ramblings. I do want some sort of guest book. It will probably not be a book, but I'm thinking of some kind of picture frame where our guests can sign and leave us a message and then we can put it up in our house. But overall, I'm not keen on having all the little traditional things just because everyone else does. We're just doing the ones that we want to and leaving the rest out.

• Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Sweety!! Omg I can't wait to see it!! You can post a picture in this group and share it with me and the other brides!!! Smiley heart

Show off your wedding dress

xx

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are apps that allow you to make a digital guest book. Photos, notes and little videos. That's what we want to go with. As for a dance, you don't have to do it. We're looking at each tradition and asking ourselves "what does this mean to us" and "how can we make this meaningful for us and our loved ones". If we can't find an answer we're happy with, it gets scrapped. We're also probably not doing a bouquet toss or a cake cut. Do what works for you.
  • Kylie
    Kylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you, Katherine!
    You're right, it would be a nice memory too look back on! Smiley smile
  • Kylie
    Kylie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thanks Zoë! I'll join that discussion!
    I do already have my dress, I wore it to the elopement and I am so excited to wear it again!! 😍
  • Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kylie!

I think it is nice to have a book. As this you can always take a look at it. Smiley heart

Maybe you can join this discussion and see what the other brides think about it.

- First dance

I'm sure you will do great! Don't worry about it! Smiley love

Do you already have a dress?Smiley star

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You don't need a guest book but it is memories... You can look back remember the fun and read comments from loved ones who may no longer be around... First dance, again up to you... My FH is not looking forward to it but I am.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics