Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Super June 2019 Ontario

Reception Seating

Amanda, on November 22, 2018 at 12:32 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23

This this probably going to sound ridiculous BUT I don't want to do assigned seating... Is that crazy? We're having a small wedding at a restaurant, looking at around 50 guests. I don't want to make people sit together that maybe don't want to, but on the flip side - is it too much to ask guests to pick their own seating? I'm not sure how the room will be set up yet if it's going to be small tables or one big table.

I would just hate for my easy peasy attitude about it end up being a negative for our guests.

23 Comments

Latest activity by Bianca, on November 28, 2018 at 23:04
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I work in a restaurant and have served many, many parties of 50+ and let me tell you, I wish everyone had assigned seating (if not that, then tables). Otherwise people move chairs and tables are empty or tables aren't full. It kind of sucks in my opinion.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Luckily, everyone knows each other.. so that won't be an issue.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree.. this is my biggest thing to do right now.. seating plan. Nope.

• Janaya
    Expert August 2019 Saskatchewan
    Janaya ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Im having a bit of a bigger wedding (120 people) and we will tell people which table but I could care less where someone exactly sits. haha it just seems more stressful than anything else to plan where everyone will sit when most people will shuffle around anyway haha

• Donna
    Devoted July 2019 Ontario
    Donna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's your BIG DAY you do whatever you like. Smiley cake

• Dar
    Frequent user December 2018
    Dar ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    As someone who attended a lot of weddings single, take into account whether there’s anyone flying solo that may not know other guests well. It’s awkward enough sitting at an assigned place at a table without having to insert yourself into a group yourself. If everybody knows each other, then a non-issue.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was exactly my thoughts. I don't want it to stress people out to have to decide on their own. I will wait until I have an exact number and if it's as small as I anticipate I'll decide then if it's practical.

I love all the input. Thanks !

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with Gina. My first thought was, reserved seats for the most important guests, parents, bridal party, etc... so they are closer to the bride and groom, and together, then if you feel comfortable having people sit themselves, leave the rest open.

I would suggest making a quick mock seating chart. Just to see how long it takes you to seat people. I found once I started assigning seats, there were guests who shouldn't be close together, some who really need to, some who are singled out and would be better seated near certain people...

My motto for seating assignments is: if it takes you a while to figure out seats, imagine how people feel trying to do that on the spot at the wedding.

If all of your guests would be fine with anyone they end up next to, then you have nothing to worry about.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats true.. I will probably do that.

Thanks!

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With that size of a guest list. I think its great not to have assigned seating. the only thing that I would want to make sure of. is maybe reserve certain seats if you want them closer to you (like your wedding party or your parents). so they don't end up at the far end away from everything.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good idea too.. thanks!
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I truly didn't even think about that. I will have to ask them. thanks!
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ok that's great. thanks for the feedback
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oooh I didn't think of that. I will have to ask. thank you!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its not crazy and cimmon for small weddings. One of my in law got married and had no seating arrangement at a community Center.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I do t think its unreasonable!! But I have seen other comments that yeah check with the restaurant first to be sure! Usually it's hard to do with larger weddings because you dont want groups or couples to leave single chairs between people... but with a smaller crowd I doubt you would have a problem!
  • Lisa
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are having a small wedding (apx 45) at a restaurant and we are required to do assigned seating - but that is because our guests will be picking their meals ahead of time, and the restaurant requires the seating chart ahead of time in order to be able to serve the right meals to those that ordered them. Just check with your venue to make sure it's not a requirement.

If I didn't have to, I would not have a seating chart at all - it's a small enough group that they can decide to sit where they'd want if it wasn't for that. Smiley sad

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can definitely let people pick their own seats with that size/situation. the one thing i would suggest is making sure there are a few extra seats, kind of like they do at a movie theatre, to make sure that people who want to sit together can?

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You’re welcome!
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm thinking this may work.. Thanks for your feedback; I have only been to weddings with assigned signing.. Glad to hear it can work.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You should be fine with that guest count, and like Gina said, you can reserve select seats if you want.

We went to a wedding without assigned seating and it worked out well! The couple had a few tables reserved for immediate family but we were free to sit anywhere.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oooh I like that. Great idea.. Thank you !

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think with it being 50 people and at a restaurant, you’ll be totally fine to let people pick their own seat! You could always just put “reserved for couple” on your spots. And even “reserved for family” “reserved for brides parents” etc on seats close to you both. Then people know where not to sit lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics