Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Caiden
Newbie June 2020 Alberta

Reception only invites

Caiden, on June 30, 2019 at 15:55 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 12
Me and my fiance are having our ceremony out on a local golf course. Our total guest list sits around 300 so we were thinking to just limit the ceremony to immediate family to cut the size down.(300 on a golf course seems like a lot). Is it rude of us to not invite everyone to everything? My mother said that normally when people do that they invite everyone to the ceremony and a select whatever to the reception so our idea was weird to her.

12 Comments

Latest activity by Kelly, on July 4, 2019 at 13:18
  • Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance's cousin did this a couple years ago. They had a small, intimate ceremony with just immediate family and close friends, then had the rest of their guests come for a late cocktail reception. It was just drinks and some finger food, not a formal sit down dinner which is why it started later around 7:30.

But it was really great! They stood outside of their reception area and greeted all their guests as they arrived and it was actually so cute. They were so excited, and they were running up to people and hugging them like "oh my god hey!!! WE'RE MARRIED!!!!". It was too funny.

I personally think its rude to invite people to just the ceremony and not the reception (i.e. the free stuff). If you don't want to pay for their dinner, they're not important enough to you to be at your wedding...

• Erin
    Super May 2022 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I believe what your mom is thinking is that it is common to limit your reception guests due to costs but include people to the ceremony bc that is the main part and little cost vs the reception cost. Just as in when you invite people to the dance part but not the dinner. To be honest I get confused when you say that 300 seems like a lot on a golf course, are you having the reception somewhere else? bc if you limit your ceremony but then include everyone for the reception at the end of the day it's still 300.

• A
    Devoted October 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Once the wedding date gets closer we will be letting others know they are welcome to the reception. Everyone understands that weddings are expensive and we are paying for everything ourselves. The feed back I have gotten from some that I've talked to says it's good. They can still celebrate with us, so they are happy.
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Caiden,

My FH and I have decided because size of church and budget we are having a max of 100 people to ceremony/dinner and we invited about 55 to the reception part.

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have totally heard of people in inviting specific people to the ceremony and then the rest or everyone to the reception. Or even vice versa, I've heard of both when my family has talked about guest list and everything.

I think if you have a specific group you'd like at the ceremony, invite them to come be a part of your ceremony and celebration. Then the rest, invite them to come celebrate the start of your married life with you and your then husband. If your guests have a problem with it, maybe it helps you cut down on the overall list? lol

Only you know what's going to work, but if you have limited space as is, I'd definitely say pick who you want for which part(s) of your special day. And you can even out that in the invite for the reception only guests. You can be honest that there's limited space for the ceremony but you'd love them to be a part of your celebration afterwards. I dunno, just a thought. 😊
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agreed! Never heard of it being the reception as optional. There are actually types of invitations specially for this with wording like: "John Doe & Jane Smith will be married in a small ceremony on Month Day, Year. Please join us in celebrating at 5:30PM at...."

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have actually never heard of what your mom describes.. I sort of think that would be kind of rude to invite someone to your wedding but tell them they can't come to the reception. What you are thinking is normal. A lot of people do that. Some people do it with just parents at the ceremony, so I see no problem in that... so many people ditch the ceremony sometimes depending on the details that I wouldn't even give it a second thought, your guests will be happy just to be a part of it all.

• M
    Curious January 2020 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Doing the exact same thing! Wedding party and immediate family only of the ceremony and everyone else for a cocktail reception. So far everyone is really on board with it - they are just happy they get to come to the fun part Smiley smile
  • Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    It is your day! Whatever you and your FH prefer is how it should be. I think a smaller ceremony would be more intimate and personal.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think you can absolutely just invite people to the reception, but just be ready for some potential backlash. I think it’s fine but not everyone might feel the same way!
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It is up to you to have 2 invites and whom you wish to have at your wedding and not at the reception. Vice versa for guests wise. If family only for the ceremony, go for it and then have other guests attend the reception after.

I know its done as my brother had done the same in 2001 when he got married. There were 3 events to which was limited to some guests. Wedding (500 guests) and Reception (1000 guests).

Do what's best for you to know your comfortable having your day flow smoothly.

• Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Caiden! Welcome to the WeddingWire community and congratulations on your engagement! I am doing exactly what you’re thinking and having some guests be only invited to the reception! i want my ceremony to be intimate and the idea of having tons of people did not interest me, however I do want to celebrate with everyone! My mom also found it weird at first but it’s working out great for us so far!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics