Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha
Super June 2021 Ontario

Reception Music

Samantha, on October 31, 2019 at 12:21 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9
FH and I decided that it's not worth it to hire a DJ and instead are just going to make an awesome playlist on Spotify and just let it play. We're also adding a "song request" portion on our RSVPs so that we'll hopefully get a good mix of music and everyone will have at least one song that they're excited to hear lol. Has anyone else done it this way and were there any problems or issues that came up?

9 Comments

Latest activity by Amelia, on November 3, 2019 at 00:58
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're doing this too. I'm thinking I'll ask someone to be in charge of the device in case someone has a request, or if we want to take a break for speeches.

I went to a wedding that did this and years later asked the bride who they used as a DJ because I hadn't realized it was a playlist!
  • Sarah
    Beginner May 2020 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing the same thing, no DJ just an IPod. Hoping everything works out with a few friends that know the Qs for specific songs
  • Cara
    Beginner September 2021 Alberta
    Cara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I really like this idea! I’m not set on having a DJ necessarily, and also wanted to include a song request in our invites. This seems like such a great way to save $$ and make sure all of your favourite songs are played. Definitely considering this plan Smiley smile
  • Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It's a venue that FH and I have been going to since we were kids, so we know everything lol definitely one of the perks! Smiley laugh They just did a renovation and upgraded their sound system which is amazing now, which is another reason why we thought a DJ was an unnecessary expense
  • BunnyBride
    Super August 2334 Nova Scotia
    BunnyBride ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

One thing I would definitely talk to the venue/whoever is providing the audio equipment is what connection the equipment requires. Some will take USB or a microjack - both of which are really common - but some will have less common plugs like Firewire or need a midi-interface.

We are doing the same thing at our wedding and the speaker system is built into the venue.

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My cousin did this at his baby shower. they had 130 guests it was awesome! great way to save money!!

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good idea for a contingency plan! That might even be a better plan A actually lol we were just going to use one of our phones, but then I was thinking what if we forget it after or if we forget to turn off any notification sounds. So iPod may be the better way to go from the get go, thanks!

• Steph
    Expert June 2022 Ontario
    Steph ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Cool! I'm hearing about more and more couples that are skipping the DJ, smart way to save! I would suggest making sure it's all downloaded so you can avoid streaming, and then you're also safe in case wifi is down that day. Maybe have a fully charged and loaded ipod or something as a backup just in case spotify itself has any glitches or issues. By the time your day comes around you'll have it all figured out and ready to go Smiley smile
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had our DJ kind of do that - when she went to have supper she que'd up a playlist and there were no problems. Just had to make sure that she had the music all downloaded as where our venue was there was little to no cell reception or wifi (of course a week after our wedding they had it all up and running with LTE though...)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics