Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ally
Beginner May 2021 Ontario

Reception

Ally, on February 22, 2021 at 12:37 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13
Hi everyone,
My wedding is in May and I’m starting to figure my whole reception. I need some ideas on how to keep my guest entertained without breaking the bank since we can’t have any dancing. I’ve come up with some wedding games but their are so many games you can do without your guest starting to get bored.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

13 Comments

Latest activity by Lisa, on August 7, 2021 at 11:14
  • Lisa
    Curious June 2023 Alberta
    Lisa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• Carly
    Newbie May 2021 Alberta
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha it's no problem! I'm the quiet introvert of my family so this is my playful payback. The wedding is going to be really small and presenting their creations will be completely optional. Not to mention, each table is guaranteed to have an exuberant extrovert.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Definitely do what will make you and your partner happy but I think your guests will be entertained plenty with the wedshoots challenge you mentioned or providing games at the tables. Speaking just for myself, I would absolutely dread being given a "group assignment" at a wedding and it would give me crazy anxiety knowing I was expected to come up with something and present it to everyone. But you know your guests and I obviously don't so maybe they'll be down for it. Just thought I'd give my thoughts as an anxious introvert in support of other anxious introverts lol.

• Carly
    Newbie May 2021 Alberta
    Carly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in May, too! I've been looking for good ideas as well. It's tricky because a lot of the fun things I've thought of require technology of some sort and our AV company is ridiculously over-priced so it's a no-go for us. If it was an option, we would probably do something like Jackbox Games (jackboxgames.com) and/or create a Jeopardy-style game with the emcee as the host and the tables would team up against each other. Instead, we're thinking we'll get our tables to create something that represents love - whether it's a song, poem, story, drawing, dance, figure/statue, or anything else they can think of. We'll then ask the tables to present their creation to us in front of everyone (perhaps after a bit of wine). We're also getting our guests to download the WedShoots app and giving them a challenge, much like the bingo idea listed above. We'll probably also get our guests to play games like Psych and Heads Up at each of the tables. This really only works if your guests all have smart devices, so just make sure that won't be an issue.

• C
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Claudia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We are putting some games together so people can interact while taking social distancing into consideration. Considering that dancing is not allowed, we thought 3 - 4 games will bring everyone together for sure!
  • Shelly
    Curious July 2022 British Columbia
    Shelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

What about like a "I spy" bingo card type thing. You could have different tasks on the bingo card for people to do (sort of like a scavenger hunt/ picture contest). Could have things like catch a photo of the couple smooching, find a yellow flower on the lawn, find someone whose first name starts with the same letter as yours etc. Although it would have to be covid friendly so perhaps not so much emphasis on mingling with others haha. Or could do a musical challenge where you play 30sec of a song and guests have to guess what song it is or something. I've also seen people do crossword puzzle where you answer questions about the couple.

• Stacey Tc
    Devoted August 2022 Saskatchewan
    Stacey Tc ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wedding games aren't my thing either, but calling someone else's idea tacky is kind of rude.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Shoe game is a way to get your guests interacted to share answers knowing some guests will make conversations out of it. I spy game is another way to get the interactions of items on each table to notice when they get to their table unknowing what is going to happen when you make the announcement as the tables can work together.
  • D
    Beginner August 2021 Ontario
    Devrie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Board Games, trivia about the couple as well as the bridal party. If your doing it outside you could have lawn games, potato sack race, egg on the spoon, all the fun fmstuff you did at birthday parties as a kid!
  • A
    Curious May 2021 Ontario
    Angie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just let everyone sit, talk and drink. Adults can keep themselves entertained with drinks, food and conversation. Like a dinner party!

Games at a wedding are pretty tacky.. so depends on the vibe you want.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a DIY photobooth (with permission from the venue) - one of our photographers is going to be taking the photos to reduce touchpoints and have actual nice photos! We have them hired for 11 hours so... May as well! There are only handheld props and an abundance of santizer. It'll be open from after dinner/speeches until near fake midnight (our wedding is postpone from NYE and we refuse to change our plans... No one celebrated properly anyway right?! Haha)
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There are a lot of online style games that people can access with their phones. You can project the game on a big screen. That way, everyone can participate and stay at their own table without without jumping around. Those who don't want to participate can just sit back and watch the screen. Prizes help make the engagement level even higher.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would enjoy some guided games, or fun at the expense of the couple/wedding party. Things like the shoe game, and the newlywed game are more spectator games but would be fun so people can watch and not participate (since not everyone loves participating). You could also have some kind of kissing challenge where instead of clinking glasses the guest who wants the newlyweds to smooch has to complete a little challenge (think truth or dare: sing a love song, give a piece of advice, tell a story about the couple).

I'm guessing people will be mostly stuck with their tables, so having a few game stations for tables to move through together could work. Maybe have some of the wedding party run little bridal shower style games like guessing the ages of the bride and groom in old photos, guessing facts about you guys (who said I love you first, who is the better cook, who hogs the covers etc). You could do these in stations or hand out score cards and keep people at their tables. Maybe the winning table gets dessert first!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics