Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kaytee
Devoted September 2017 Alberta

Receiving line - yay or nay!?

Kaytee, on July 19, 2017 at 19:23 Posted in Wedding reception 0 24
What is your opinion on doing a receiving line? We are getting married from 4:00 to 4:30 and then want the speeches to start at 5 ish so I don't think 30 mins is enough time to "receive" 110 people. Are you having one?

24 Comments

Latest activity by Kaytee, on August 1, 2017 at 20:17
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah, I think that would be tough Smiley atonished

• Laura
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having one, but we are allotting and hour and a half for 180 people. I don't know if 30 mins would be enough time. Maybe if it's just the two of you as opposed to your parents and new in laws as well?
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think we will thank everyone in our speech and then maybe on the dance floor we can see everyone. If someone wants to talk to us, they might just have to come up to us.

• Tiffany
    Devoted October 2017 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm thinking we are going to do a receiving line !! We will also thank everyone in a speech... I don't want to spend my entire evening going from table to table - I want to be enjoying the evening, dancing with everyone!

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I like it Smiley smile

• Rekramer
    Expert November 2018 Ontario
    Rekramer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

With 110 people, you probably don't need a receiving line. You'll get a chance to talk to everyone during the evening. That's my 2 cents.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so true. Thanks for your feedback.

• Jennifer
    Frequent user August 2017 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Kaytee,

We are not having a receiving line, there is enough time in between speeches and meals that we can go around to every table and see and speak to them personally. Honestly I dont like receiving lines i find it makes everyone to stand in line to see you and forces the rest of the evening to be put on hold until the line is done and depending on the amount of people that could be awhile.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your welcome Kaytee. I have to readjust my timeline as I want to have events captures for the big day too. I hope it all works out for you.
  • Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel like that too. Even dancing with people will be more of a fun interaction.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Simone. That sounds nice.

• Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I feel like after we eat and have the speeches and the first dance I can spend the rest of the reception talking to everyone and spend more time with everyone than I would in a reception line anyway. Much less pressure and just chit chat. We are also hopefully going to have a couple extra chairs at our sweetheart table so if someone wants to come chat with us they feel welcome.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanking everyone in your speech sounds like the way to go. I think we will do that. Thank-you!

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I never thought of it that way but that makes sense. It kind of does feel like that now that I think of it. And I really don't want it to take that long. OMG. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That was my fear, that one person or a few people would just want to keep talking and talking and wouldn't keep other peoples wishes in line knowing that there is a time line.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is like us as well. I think we will just leave it out and make sure to talk to everyone at some point in the night. I really feel like that might work out better for us.

• Kaytee
    Kaytee ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds like a good plan. I feel like I will have enough time to see everyone at some point or make the rounds but thanks for the tip about how long it takes for 100.

• Katherine
    Super September 2017 New Brunswick
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a receiving line right after the ceremony as people leave the church... To speed things along it will just be my husband and myself... Our mothers will hover to keep things moving... All my research has suggested that it will take 20 to 40 minutes for 100 guests.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think I am doing a receiving line because we are a wee bit crunched for time as well. The ceremony is from 530-600 and then we have an hour, maybe an hour and a half for photos and then reception.

• Chelsea
    Master August 2017 Ontario
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I agree with Simone! 30 minutes is not enough time for a receiving line and if you want one. We are having one but we spaced out our ceremony and reception with enough time in between to do the receiving line right after the ceremony! I think it is better to do this right after the ceremony vs right before the reception!

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I went to a wedding with a receiving line and everyone had mixed feelings. It was nice for the couple to greet to everyone then so that they could enjoy the rest of the evening without worrying about forgetting to say hi to someone, but for the guests it meant standing in a very long line, waiting a long time for food and it also meant the entrance was blocked and anyone would wanted to step out to go to the bathroom either had to make their way through the think line of people or they had to wait and and step out at a later time potentially missing a speech of when the food arrived. And with a receiving line an issue is that if someone starts talking too long and holding up the line its rude to ask them to move on and you can't excuse yourself because you'll be standing in the same place the whole time
  • Louise
    Devoted September 2017 Quebec
    Louise ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am not doing a receiving line. To me it is a business transaction and that IS NOT the feel I want for my wedding.
    I have 80 people coming to my wedding so I will be spending time with my guests.
    I went to a 300 person wedding last summer. The receiving line was 2 hours long and no one could eat until it was finished. I don't know if this is the norm but many people were not pleased.
  • Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We aren't having a receiving line. We will be thanking everyone in our speech and we are having a small enough wedding that we will be able to speak to everyone at some point in the evening.

• Simone
    Master August 2017 Manitoba
    Simone ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hi Kaytee, I'm having a receiving line at our wedding reception. I would agree that in your case, 30 minutes is not a lot. If you feel. It's important, I would look at adjusting your time line for the reception, as an option.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics