Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate-Lynn
Frequent user October 2022 Manitoba

Receiving line or table visits??

Kate-Lynn, on April 19, 2020 at 16:47 Posted in Wedding reception 0 11
I have about 150 guests coming and a tight schedule to fit in for photography. Which is a better way?

11 Comments

Latest activity by Hank, on April 22, 2020 at 20:23
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We have 200 guests and our wedding is during winter with shorter daylight hours so we're doing table visits. From my experience with receiving lines, anything over 100 guests can really hold up the start time for the reception and dinner.

• Tiffany
    Beginner September 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My friend did a receiving line at her wedding, but it wasn't a very large wedding. Depending on what you're comfortable with will ultimately depend on what you do I think.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hmmmm for the sake of photo's I would say going table to table is best so that right after the ceremony you don't have to worry about getting back in time to have a receiving line, but if you do photo's before the ceremony then it would be nice to get the pleasantries out of the way and not have to go table to table... We went table to table to avoid a long line of people (as well, it was raining and wanted people to be able to rush back inside) but had it been nice outside I would have loved to do a receiving line instead.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did table visits as it was a small wedding and got a chance to talk to everyone with pictures taken at some of them too. It felt better since we had a Bollywood dance entrance that was practised with the wedding party.

Every couple will make their choice to know what works best for them and sure you will find a way to make that choice based on how your photos are being taken at reception.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We'll be doing table visits. It just works best with our schedule. We're also doing a plated dinner so bride and groom always get served first and so we'll be finished eating first (theoretically) and can start the rounds when we're done while people are getting their food. It's also more casual and better for our older guests so they're not standing in a line up.
  • V
    Beginner October 2020 British Columbia
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are doing a receiving line and according to my research it would take about 30 mins to great 100 guests. It's a nice way to ensure that you get to say welcome to everyone and thank them for coming.. I have scheduled it for right after the ceremony (as we are the first to leave) and just before they go into the reception hall for cocktail "hour". Also my photographer has recommended having a dedicated person in charge of the people that will be in photos that way they can focus on taking the pictures and that person can round up the family members so the photographer is not trying to find people they do not know.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I also really just rambled on without directly addressing your circumstances!! My bad. I feel like our situations are comparable in terms of guest count/tight schedule. So maybe table visits? Also - type of dinner service may be a consideration. If you’re doing a buffet then you and your spouse could serve yourselves/eat first and then you’d be free to make the rounds. As I alluded to in my first post I think a plated dinner could complicate things a little, maybe? But I assume it’s still doable.
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ooo! Good question. Had not given this much thought. When does a receiving line traditionally take place? Probably such a dumb question but I honestly don’t know lol. I do like the idea of one. But we have a pretty short window for drinks between the ceremony and dinner. I suspect a receiving line would eat up most of that time, even if it just consists of quick hugs/hellos. On the other hand I also don’t want to miss out on my own meal because we’re making the rounds the whole time. I guess maybe we will squeeze in a few table visits between each course and make it a goal to eventually hit them all? I also plan to attend my own cocktail hour. So I’ll use that as an opportunity to put in face time with older relatives/people who will bail when the party gets started.
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We were going to do table visits. We have a couple of bridesmaids on duty to not let us spend too much time with one table and our planners keeping us on time. We also will have the photographer taking pictures of us with each table. I think it’s a matter of preference.
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing the receiving line (if our day happens!) it’s the easiest way to greet everyone at the same time and say hello.

Then later in the evening during dinner we’ll also go around to tables as well. Then you get to speak to people a bit more.
    Whatever works best for you!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I like the idea of a receiving line, and some time to mingle at tables after dinner. You want to give yourself enough time to enjoy your meal, have a little time to yourself and with your wedding party, and to enjoy the parts of your reception you've planned like dancing or games.

We are planning to see people before the ceremony so we can have a little more time with our guests and not feel super rushed later on. If that's not an option I would try to have more than one opportunity to see your guests in case you feel rushed and miss someone early on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics