Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Allison
Master October 2019 Ontario

Rant Time: Sharing our honeymoon!

Allison, on October 11, 2018 at 16:31 Posted in Honeymoon 0 23

Hey ladies, I need to vent so sorry for the long post in advance!

So we have our honeymoon booked; we're going on a cruise in the Caribbean and I'm super stoked for it! It's personal to us since he proposed on our first cruise almost a year ago when we went with 2 other couples.

That being said, he was talking about it with one of the other couples (I'll call them M and A for simplicity). M and A cruise too and are going on a cruise in January. We were invited but couldn't go since we are saving up for the wedding, but if we could, we would. Anyways my FH and M were talking, and he kind of invited M and A on our cruise in October?! He said he'd ask me about it first before formally asking them. Now, I wouldn't mind except it's our honeymoon?! It would seem weird to have them there, because it should be our relaxing time for just the two of us. We wouldn't see them much either, but again, it just seems weird. The 3 of them are all in law enforcement/security and have common ground where I don't have anything to contribute to those conversations.

Also M and A are married, but for the last year, they've been having a rough patch. I won't get into it too much but they haven't been on par with communicating important things and they are at a point where they need couples' counselling IMO. Things could also change in a year where they are in a better spot but I don't want to have them arguing over dinner or when they are around us while we are trying to enjoy being married lol. Or they could be separated, as much as I don't want that to happen to them. Their cruise in January might help them since they might just be stressed about life and they might come out to be stronger than ever.

I have slept on my thoughts with this and gave myself time to think. I'm gonna tell my FH that I would rather go alone, but maybe the next trip to include M and A. I do like travelling with them and had fun on the last trip, but I'd rather have our honeymoon to ourselves. I hope I am not overreacting and could use some other opinions. I think I also just needed to get it out there, I think I might know more about M and A's problems than my FH and maybe I should let him know of my concerns around that too. He might not be aware of the problem and I've been keeping it to myself for awhile now.

23 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on October 23, 2018 at 15:14
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah! I was worried and needed other opinions

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so glad things are working out for you! Good things your FH understands what a honeymoon should be lol.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought I posted an update discussion about this but apparently I did not!

I ended up running into the couple at the mall the other day and we were chatting about it. They thought it was odd that my FH invited them and that they would have turned him down anyways. Later that day, I talked to my FH about it and that I wanted to go alone and stating why. He was able to understand it more from my perspective and we agreed to do our honeymoon solo. Then, we talked about trips after the honeymoon that we could go on with the other couple.

All in all, things turned out great, I just need the advice/thoughts from the lovely ladies in the community Smiley laugh Smiley heart

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh goodness no!

Don't let your FH talk you into inviting another couple on your honeymoon. There will be plenty of vacations to go on together in the future, let this one be just the two of you.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Peggy!

I'm also thinking he might want to get as many trips in as a group before they become family trips with future children, which might be another discussion all together lol. I still want to go lots of travelling before trying to have kids, but maybe my FH wants to have them sooner (I'd be okay with that too!)

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hear you! I think you've made your feelings clear, and respectfully so - I think you need to tell your FH precisely what you've told us.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our trip after our wedding is considered our honeymoon. We are only gone for a week and a half and the cruise part is a week (the majority). I might be doing a cruise Spring 2020 or going to Orlando July 2020. I teach Zumba and there's an opportunity to go on a Zumba cruise in the spring and the annual convention in July. For those trips I would be more than happy to invite friends along since my FH would be bored while I'm in Zumba workshops lol.

I've also mentioned Vegas to our friends as an idea in Winter **** as a group trip. We've done the majority of our travels with this group so I think would be nice to do it once alone after the wedding.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah we are on a cruise for a week and spending a few nights in Miami beforehand. He had mentioned that we would still have that part to ourselves and just meet them on the cruise but I'd rather the whole honeymoon alone lol.

I'm thinking a trip afterwards would be a good compromise, we all want to go to Vegas at some point so we might do that!

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It's a personal decision - there's absolutely noting wrong with feeling the way you do!

For my fiancé and I - we talked about it and extended an invitation to a few close friends to join us for the first week of our 2 week holiday after the wedding (We're not actually taking our official honeymoon until our 1 year anniversary). We are looking forward to spending a week with them, and then a week on our own.

• Casey
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You are not wrong at all for wanting to spend your honeymoon alone just you guys. I went through something similar with my FH, we want to go to an all inclusive for 2 weeks, and at first he wanted his family to come with us for a week and then leave, and we could have the last week to ourselves. At first I was ok with it, but then some of them started talking about staying longer than a week, and that would cut our alone time. I then suggested them coming the second week. It took a little bit of time for my FH to realize he wanted a quiet week, and there has been no mention ever since.

Planning another trip with them may be a good idea after the honeymoon. That may give them the time they need to figure out their relationship. I wouldn't want to worry about that on my honeymoon for sure!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I haven't had a chance to discuss again with my FH, he was working a night shift last night.

Would it be worth it to reach out to the other couple and explain that it would be weird if they were on our honeymoon? We are trying to plan a separate trip with them to Vegas next year so we do want to go on a trip with them... just not our honeymoon lol

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, we've talked about potentially going to Vegas with them next year in the spring/summer or in the winter after our wedding.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I dont think you're in the wrong at all! Like you said its YOUR honeymoon! Its suppose to be just the 2 of you! The honeymoon is about to and the last thing you want is thinking or worrying about another set of people there too.... nooo thanks! I think it's fine to try and make plans to go together soon! But yeah for the honeymoon.... no thanks! Honestly I'm sure if you mentioned Honeymoon to the other couple they'd feel weird going too... that's a very personal and private time. Even if they did do and you didnt see them much. Going with friends you would WANT to be with them right!
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That seems fair, must be exciting to go back to your hometown!

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, M didn't give my FH an answer so they're probably thinking it's weird too lol

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Yeah absolutely not. The only reason my honeymoon is going to have people is we’re visiting my overseas family because we’re going to see my hometown. But we’ll be staying in our own apartment and there’ll be a lot of time we’ll have for just us. We aren’t bringing anyone with us, that’s crazy.
  • S
    Frequent user January 2021 Alberta
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yeahhhhh... I'd tell FH is a big ol' hell no on that one lol

Your friends will absolutely understand and I can't imagine they'd be hurt by you guys saying "we'd rather our honeymoon be just the two of us". No reasonable or even semi-reasonable person would be upset by that! Besides, like Tori said, there's a good chance that they don't actually want to come either but because your FH seemed to actually take the idea seriously they rolled with it...

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, I think it's a case of my FH not knowing that the honeymoon is just us. Sometimes I don't know what he's thinking lol

• E
    Expert December 2018 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I agree your honeymoon is just for you. Nobody else allowed. honestly I would think it’s weird if anyone wanted to come with you.
  • Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fair enough! I don't want the group to feel awkward or my FH thinking that I don't want to hang out with them because of the rough patch.

They might feel equally as awkward about it too, like: "why are they inviting us?!" lol

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Lmao I love Brittany's reply! I completely agree!

It is totally justified that you want to have your honeymoon to just you and him. They may even feel awkward about it too and are not saying anything tbh.

I do however think that you should just say no based on it being your honeymoon. If I were to explain that the others were having a rough patch to my FH then he would think that that was my main and only problem and say that it's nothing to worry about and then not understand that it's besides the point and was just another reason. A simple - "it's our honeymoon and I just want it to be me and you" should suffice.

• Allison
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!! I don't think he really understands that. While he might feel social obligations to check in, I definitely will lol! There will definitely be chances for other trips with these people too, I just don't want my honeymoon to be one of them!

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No no no no no.... Everyone, literally everyone, in my family joked about wanting to go on our honeymoon cruise, because the itinerary is awesome (Southern Caribbean, 11-nights, 5 islands)... but each one of them also followed up with "Just kidding, no on goes on your honeymoon"....

Your honeymoon is yours.... it's not a regular trip, it's not something to share. It's time for you and your new husband to spend time together as newlyweds. You don't want any commitment to anyone but yourselves. Even if your FH says you guys can do your own thing, you won't... you'll always feel obligated to check in with them, hang out, make a point of doing things with them....

Also... I'm planning on being in FULL lovey-dovey mushy-gushy honeymooners mode... I would not want my friends watching/being there when I'm making goo-goo eyes at my new husband for 12 days straight Smiley laugh ... Also, do you really want to have to explain yourself if you run off for "alone time"... *wink* *wink* Haha.

I 100% agree with you, calmly/nicely tell your FH that this is your one and only honeymoon, and you want it to be for just the two of you...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics