Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kristy
Beginner October 2019 Alberta

pvc A-frame

Kristy, on June 14, 2019 at 08:16 Posted in DIY 0 6
I’m looking to make something like this. I want an A-frame arch made out of PVC then I’ll spray paint it. I can’t find any ideas that aren’t made from wood (I’m avoiding all things rustic and going for minimal/moody/industrial) have any of you made from PVC? What did you do for the bottom to keep it sturdy. I will be adding at least one floral arrangement to it so I’d say it needs to be fairly sturdy. Show me your arches please Smiley smile

pvc A-frame 1

6 Comments

Latest activity by Tina, on July 10, 2019 at 23:19
  • Tina
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Tina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The bottoms will be easy - just a T-joint and about 3'-4' of PVC for balance. You can lay something on top of it for weight (or fill the pipe with bean bags). It's the top that will be tricky. You can get 90 deg connectors, and you can get 45 deg connectors, but the 45s are usually three sided. Maybe you can cut off the one side?

Here's the 45 deg type: https://www.homedepot.ca/product/bow-plastics-ltd-pvc-4-inch-wye/1000119211

I'd be wary of PVC though if you want to paint it. The plastic doesn't take paint very well. You'd have to scuff it up pretty good to give it a texture that the paint would adhere to. Copper pipe might be better, but then metal paint is more expensive.

• Kelly
    Devoted May 2020 Ontario
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love this look! Maybe make it the three sides and two back supports at the side?

Here is is a picture of our arch (already at the venue) and the backdrop we’ve created for it.

pvc A-frame 2
  • Kristy
    Kristy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Great ideas thank you. It will be on a hard surface indoors.
  • Brittany
    Devoted August 2019 Alberta
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Will it be on a hard surface or grass?

If grass you can get slightly bigger PVC and put it in the ground and set the stand in it.

If a hard surface... I made a balloon arch out of PVC and used umbrella stands as the base.

Not the most aesthetically pleasing but if you cover them with greenery/flowers it should be fine!

• Kristy
    Kristy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Never thought of putting it together at the store. Thanks!
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

By the looks of the picture you posted - they used a T bottom to keep it standing. I'm thinking that maybe if you use that kind of T attachment on the PVC that it will stay up? Might need it to be longer though so you will probably need to extend the PVC after the T piece. (Of course you can try putting it together at the store before you pay for it so you know if it will be sturdy enough.)

Edit: You could also see if putting weights in it would keep it down so that you don't need the extra pieces coming from the T!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics