Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Proposals - private or public?

Joey, on June 13, 2018 at 08:05 Posted in Before the wedding 0 24

Private or public proposals - which do you love? Which did you have? Did you and your partner talk before hand about which type you wanted yours to be?

Private?

Proposals - private or public? 1

Or Public?

Proposals - private or public? 2

24 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on June 22, 2018 at 09:34
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Public and private proposals are based on every couple. Some brides like the surprise element of being at their place of meeting. Other brides may be down low key type.
  • Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both would be nice if by "public" you mean in front of close family and friends without too many onlookers. Both my fiancé and I are shy so ours was private, and I'm thankful he kept it that way (though he couldn't propose how he originally planned to because I was sick with the flu!)

• Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My FH propose public. He took me at a garden park where he took me after our first date. There was a pathway that sometimes no one uses but as he propose 2 couples walked by and as he gets down on his knees they we're watching, awwing & congratulated us after. I didn't mind it at all.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was private and very personal due to the nature of the circumstances surrounding how he proposed lol.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Private for me. I am so overly emotional that a public proposal was not an option. I told my husband that if he were to ever propose to not have anyone around as I would get super flustered and probably ugly cry lol. I also wanted the opportunity for us to revel in the moment just the 2 of us.

• Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I guess it was a bit of both... we were alone, but it was at Butchart Gardens in Victoria, so it was in a public garden... we were alone when it started, but by the time I said 'yes' and kissed him, a family walked by.... They had missed him down on one knee I guess, so they thought we were just a young couple making out in the Rose Garden Smiley xd Smiley laugh Smiley heart

I wouldn't mind either way... but I bawled my eyes out so I guess I'm glad it was private/and dark! (night time)

• Alexandra
    VIP November 2019 British Columbia
    Alexandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I personally wanted something more private and that’s what I got. It was really personal and private it was just in our bedroom! He had this set up on the bed when he called me in and he was down on one knee
  • Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think both are fantastic. really depends. for me personally I didn't care either way. I just wanted him to do it.

ours ended up being very public. he did it in the dining room on a cruise ship. so a TON of people cheered for us. the great thing though is that 2 of our closest friends were having dinner with us. so they got to be there which made my heart happy. and a ship photographer was nearby and captured it all.
    and the more public of it is that we were on our friends wedding cruise (he got the brides permission to propose...the groom helped him pick out my ring) and there were 120 people in our group. so EVERYONE knew and knew QUICK. hahahha

• Courtney
    Super July 2018 Ontario
    Courtney ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We had always talked about not wanting a public proposal. When I see them I think they're cute, but I really cherish the fact it was something just for the two of us.

He booked a weekend away to a small cottage in the woods on the edge of a rolling pastures with horses.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that you asked him Tori! I had no idea when/if my FH was going to propose so I kind of had a plan to ask him on our vacation too, but he beat me too it Smiley tongue just how he beat me to asking the first date and saying I love you first.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine was public: my FH knows I don't mind the attention and he knew I was going to say yes lol. We were on a beach in Miami with 2 other couples, one is married the other is engaged (he was going to propose on that vacation but ended up doing it sooner). My FH asked one of our friends to take pictures of us by palm trees and then he went down on one knee! There were not a lot of strangers watching so it was just in front of friends. The funny thing was that everyone knew he was going to do it and were trying to figure out when he'd ask Smiley tongue

• Breanne
    Expert August 2018 Ontario
    Breanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine was about as private as it gets. My FH proposed at a castle on a hill in Glasgow, Scotland and there wasn't a single soul in sight.

Balloch Castle, ScotlandProposals - private or public? 3

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Private - My FH almost didn't do it, because there were cars in the parking lot. He thought the area would be full of people, but we saw they were all on the frozen lake kite surfing! That left us all by ourselves on the dock.

I don't like public proposals as I find them extremely awkward.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Mine was strictly private! I wanted absolutely no one around. In fact, when my now-husband went to propose a family had come down to look at the falls where we were, so he stopped mid-proposal haha...and we went further down. A little odd on his part, as I knew what was happening by then, but I like he respected my "private" wishes

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Both are amazing in my opinions. I had a public proposal. I never really thought of how I would want to be proposed to haha

• Marcia
    Super August 2018 Manitoba
    Marcia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Both kinds are beautiful, public or privateSmiley smile. I had a private proposal!
  • Tatiana
    Expert April 2018 Ontario
    Tatiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Private proposal. I really appricieated it was just us when my hubby proposed.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    100% private. However the plan he had for if I didn't mind public was pretty cute, we were in vacation and they had lighthouse tours so we wanted to do it at the top of a lighthouse. But I'm glad he didn't because the tours had like 20 other people that I didn't want to share the moment with. So he did it when it was just us two, no one around. We were camping so it was peaceful and quiet, it was perfect.
  • Leah
    VIP April 2019 British Columbia
    Leah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I prefer private proposals.

I’d always dreamed of my FH secretely putting a down payment on a starter home then taking me to see it and showing me where we could garden with my mom, what we could fix up with my dad etc. Basically how we could make it ours. That’s a dream proposal for me.

Instead my FH left his job and immigrated to Canada. Not quite how I’d envisioned it but a major sacrifice that I appreciate and cherish.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a public proposal - but no way was I going to do that Smiley tongue I proposed to my FH in the privacy of our car before we got out and took pictures in the winter light show tunnel of love Smiley heart (Of course I am glad it was private - I cried 2 sentences in to telling him what I love about him and could barely get the question out let alone the rest of my speech I had originally prepared!)

• Sara
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Sara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Definitely private.

Ours was in our apartment, I knew he had the ring so it was just a matter of getting it. It was amazing they way it happened.

• Sheilah
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Sheilah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Private. I couldn't handle a public one, I hate attention and crowds. We had talked about our fears of public attention before.

He proposed to me on the front steps of our house at around 11:30 at night December 4th 2016 - during the first snow fall. It was private, romantic and definitely us. ❤❤
  • Clarissa
    Expert October 2018 Saskatchewan
    Clarissa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love that ours was private and intimate (just the two of us at my apartment). I really like keeping certain moments private and haven’t shared all the details even when family has hounded me for them cause I like that the moment was just about us and no one else and would like to keep it a private thing.
  • Andie
    Expert May 2019 Ontario
    Andie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours was very private (inside a car!) even though we had talked to death about it being public. I didn’t mind that though... what I did mind was that he didn’t even get down on one knee!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics