Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amanda
Expert July 2022 Ontario

Premium Bar or Standard Bar

Amanda, on May 1, 2019 at 14:08 Posted in Wedding reception 0 21

Hi All,

I am having a tough time figuring out if I should get just a standard bar, which I personally think is great, or upgrade to the Premium Bar which contains your Crown Royal type of drinks.

Our Families are all drinkers, but I also know they drink the items that are on the standard list.

Do you think we should stay or "impress" at the cost of us, for the premium bar?

Suggestions?

21 Comments

Latest activity by Amanda, on May 9, 2019 at 11:03
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love this idea! I am just not sure if my venue would offer that option. I will have to look further into it! Thank you so much !Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's super true lol! Smiley xd

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue had a standard bar offering premium liquor if guests requested. Many venues offer standard bar if the higher end liquor isn't served.

Suggestion for premium drinks can be one ticket per person if they choose to use it.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are just doing the standard bar because the people who are having casual drinks will like the drinks offered and the people who are drinking to get drunk won’t care what gets them drunk as long as it works. We might as well get a cheaper bill out of it lol
  • Sandra
    Beginner October 2021 Ontario
    Sandra ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I wouldn't go premium just to impress! Standard bar is fine Smiley smile

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I probably wouldn't bother then... If all that is offered regardless and it's a big cost difference, I wouldn't find it worth it

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its a big jump for us sadly, this is why I am weighing my options. The good thing with our Venue that regardless if its a premium bar or Standard it will still include Unlimited Wine for the table, Sparkling toast & Coffee or espresso. Its strictly just the bar choices that would upgrade and give more options.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For us it also wasn't a huge price difference per person so we sorta thought - for a little bit more we get the best option.. it just made sense to us.. every venue is different and some prices are verrrry different or the upgrade doesn't include much different.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We upgraded to premium.. It just offers much more in terms of alcohol as well as other bonuses like champagne toast, table wine when the bar is closed and cake cutting.. and also cappucino and coffee later on... the standard option doesn't include all of that.

• K
    Expert September 2018 British Columbia
    Kim ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We went with a standard bar and just special ordered in one premium scotch cause we had a couple of connoisseurs in the family, including both of our fathers - and scotch is the one spirit you *can* tell the difference on.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Stick to the standard bar! FH and I were torn with the same decision but it was my mom who talked sense into us. She said that it wasn’t worth upgrading (at $5/head) for the handful of people who will request premium alcohol. Standard is fine!
  • Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Definitely just go with the standard. Your guests won't care how much you spend on the bar as long as they are having a good time! Like you said they will drink whatever is on the standard so there is really no need to spend more on the premium. Save some money and stick to standard!
  • Donna Yeung
    Devoted August 2018 British Columbia
    Donna Yeung ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Amanda,

I agree with the others, unless your venue only has a premium bar, go with the standard and just swap out some drinks and pay the difference. The costs will add up to your tab especially if you plan on doing an open bar. And since you mentioned that your families are drinkers, that might be $$$. I would not try to impress at your own expense. Because at the end of the day, you don't want to be in debt just for one day of fun when you have the rest of your married life ahead of you!

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Casey!
    Thank you so much for your input and suggestion! Smiley smile

• Casey
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Casey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our venue includes a premium bar, but if it didn't I most likely wouldn't upgrade. Chances are people will drink whatever is there. But you can always swap some things out.

Beer is a big thing for my family, so we will be swapping out some beers.

Like Tori said, wine is wine lol, unless you have people who are super picky about their wine.

• Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We chose The Vue Clubhouse & Event Space in Etobicoke.
    I am sure if I speak with them this is something they will be able to do for us.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would go with the standard bar unless there are any that like Kelsie said - you would rather switch out.

Beer - depending on what they have you may want to change 1 or 2

Wine - don't bother, red is red and white is white

Spirits - depends if it matters to you. I know that for our wedding we are buying all the booze and hiring bar tenders so we will most likely buy spiced rum instead of regular but other than that we will be going with either standard or just above.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem! Which venue did you choose?! Our coordinator actually gave us the idea for picking and choosing so I’m sure yours will do the same!
  • Amanda
    Expert July 2022 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I didn't even think of doing something like this!
    I will be having a talk with my Venue to see if this is an option for us!!
    Thank you again so much! Smiley smile

Happy Planning !

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re going with the standard bar but what we’re doing is swapping out some standard liquors for premiums ones and just paying the difference. It was actually a lot cheaper than going with the premium bar.

we really only changed one whiskey and a polish beer my FH didn’t like.

People have their preference but at the end of the day they won’t decline a drink because it’s not their favourite liquor.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics