Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vinod
Top August 2017 Ontario

Pre nups

Vinod, on February 6, 2018 at 13:54 Posted in Ontario 0 10
We all get excited when the boyfriend/girlgriend proposes and wants to be your shining Knight/Princess. Though at times we don't think about the chances of something happening that leads to a bad break up, a pre nup is always suggested by family or friends as a back-up.

Does anyone believe that agreement should come up knowing if the other half was to file divorce after marriage to protect yourself. Finances become harder and splitting the priceless items based on family sentimentals.

10 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on June 5, 2018 at 21:11
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Thank you for a great ideas to look forward to ask an lawyer. Its always good to include anything important to you in order to have something to start a clean slate after. I can post a site for anyone interested to know what to ask.
  • Helen
    Frequent user September 2018 British Columbia
    Helen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Any idea what to prepare/discuss prior to seeing a lawyer? Want to maximize value and minimize legal cost by knowing exactly what we want drafted-- however being both new to marriage not sure what exactly to include. For example I have property, he does not. I want to protect that, however the financial decision we make together moving forward will affect that property (and he is contributing to the mortgage) and equity/debt should be split from the wedding day on. Same with investments, Just not sure what to cover and what not to , in order for it to be enforceable in the chance we ever have to dust it off Smiley sad

• TrixJelly
    Newbie August 2018 Ontario
    TrixJelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Just make sure that it's enforceable. I know several people who had pre-nups that weren't enforceable either after death or divorce because the terms of a will or the divorce decree superceded it. Make sure that you both have council look at it and it's in both your best interests.

• Danielle
    Curious July 2019 Ontario
    Danielle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not going to be doing one but we’re going in as fairly equal financially and both tend to have the personality of crossing that bridge if needed. My widowed father was remarried in his 60s after accumulating more wealth. He also chose to forgo a prenup. However they did have one written up and went through it together to discuss finances but neither one signed it.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re not getting a prenup for personal reasons. My parents went through a divorce (after 30 years of marriage) and handled it perfectly fine without a prenup, so I’m not worried for my FH and I.
  • Victoria
    Expert November 2019 Ontario
    Victoria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My FH is a lawyer and I'm a soon to be family lawyer, so I am jaded lol.

But I think it depends... My FH and I will be making very similar salaries, and when push comes to shove I'll be the more cut throat lawyer anyway (kidding lol... kind of).

My friend makes $40k and her FH makes $100k with a lot of upward mobility, so they will be getting a pre-nup.

HONESTLY though legal battles/divorces with pre-nups don't really suck any less. They're all kind of a giant headache/shitty time.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Please keep on giving your opinions. Its great to hear from both sides of the coin. Other way of professional and non professional. Thanks once again.
  • Vanessa
    Beginner January 2019 Alberta
    Vanessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Being a legal assistant at a family law firm, I would highly recommend it. You're getting married and obviously don't think it would happen to you, but you can never predict the future. It's unbelievable what people fight over in a divorce. Even though my fiance and I don't think we'll ever get divorced, we're still planning on doing a pre-nup, just to be on the safe side, should something happen.

• Joey
    WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland
    Joey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My husband and I don't have a prenup, but I wouldn't have been mad at all if I'd been asked to sign one (assuming it was fair of course!). If either of us had any sort of money when we were first married (we were struggling grad students at the time, lol!) then I might have considered it myself. I don't think prenups are anything bad or any sign that one or both members of the couple think divorce is likely. Personally I don't think it makes the marriage less special, I think it hopefully only makes a divorce easier and faster to resolve should that ever happen.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think that some people find it a valuable safeguard but I personally feel like it takes away a lot of the magic and happiness of a proposal/wedding planning/marriage. I definitely think these things need to be discussed though. Many marriages seem to fall apart because people don't talk about things and once their different opinions are known it changes things.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics