Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Frequent user August 2020 Ontario

Postponement Announcement

Msss, on June 8, 2020 at 16:02 Posted in Before the wedding 0 7
Hello everyone,

My fiancé and I made the difficult decision to postpone our August wedding to next year (June 2021) because of COVID-19. I've been anxious about sending out a postponement announcement simply because we don't know what will happen yet. I'm worried about having to downsize our wedding if by that time things remain the same. Are you experiencing the same anxiety about this? What would you recommend?

7 Comments

Latest activity by Ashley, on June 9, 2020 at 17:49
  • Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would tell people once you 100% have postponed and confirmed a new date with all your vendors. let people know in case they start looking at hotels and booking stuff. were gonna email all our guests and update our wedding website

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My fiance and I had postponed our August 8 wedding last month to August 7 2021.

We told everyone right away what we had decided. Everyone was really supportive and understanding about postponing since we're all in this together. If things have to change again, then we'll let them know again Smiley smile Right now no one knows what's going to happen in the next year. I'm praying for the best outcome for next summer. I want my wedding to happen!

• A
    Frequent user August 2020 Ontario
    Anna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We just postponed our 08/08/2020 in the KW area until 2021. We still plan to get married on our original date with 10 people. If we are allowed 15 or even 20 by then, great- we will invite a few more. Our original wedding was 250+ people.

We sent a postponement announcement out 3 days ago. Although we have a 2021 date booked for our reception, we are not broadcasting the new date yet.. in case things get worse with covid and then we need to cancel/reschedule again. Our new date is August 2021 but we probably won't send a save-the-date until January. We aren't hiding the date if people ask... but just not broadcasting it yet.

Our notice said something along the lines of "it's with heavy hearts we have determined our wedding cannot continue as planned due to covid-19. We are working to reschedule the celebrations to 2021 and will send out a save-the-date when we feel confident it will be safe. We intend to marry on our original date with immediate family, and appreciate all your love and support during this tough time. Looking forward to celebrating with you in the future"

• Savannah
    Frequent user April 2020 Ontario
    Savannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We announced our 2 postponement dates ASAP (originally rescheduled our May date back in March to August, and postponed our August date to April - our first anniversary as we ended up getting married at home). The reason we did is we wanted everyone to be aware and not be worried about attending amidst a pandemic/ recovery from the pandemic, a lot of guests were relieved that we did and that we kept them informed. Our guest list is very small, about 60 total so we just said same time, same place, different date. We haven’t gone into much detail about the plans and are planning on continuing to communicate with our guests as we get closer to the date, we are keeping optimistic that our 2021 date should be a go!
  • K
    Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I took the same approach as Amelia. I notified everybody as soon as we canceled our original plans - and people were very thankful for the update as they’d been wondering. I was intentionally a little vague about the specific plan next year in case we do have to downsize. Of course I went ahead and told my closest people the details of the new date and plan. But I’m hopeful wedding-size gatherings will be ok by next summer and I can still include everyone!

I hope that helps!! So sorry you had to postpone 😢
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

There's nothing wrong with leaving things as TBA since we are in an unpredictable situation. Most people would understand. If you have a website for taking RSVPs, you can include a FAQ with whatever info you are comfortable with letting people know.

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I've definitely felt like I need to tell people the plans have changed, but Im a little bit worried that I won't be able to include everyone next year if any restrictions still exist. My game plan has been to let people know we've postponed, but not give details about the 2021 party and leave it with a "we will let you know when we know" kind of vibe. I've kept our closest people in the loop the whole time, it's the more distant friends and family that I haven't told yet.

Ultimately I hope that if we need to cut people they'll be understanding because this is unprecedented and totally out of our control. In the end they need to know that 2020 isn't happening, but it's up to you how much you tell them about the new plans.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics