Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin
Frequent user June 2024 Ontario

Postpone oh No!!!

Erin, on February 8, 2021 at 20:52 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 19

Have any of you decided to postpone the wedding because of everything going on with COVID-19? If so is anyone else getting flack for doing it? A few of my family members and friends that were invited are now giving me a lot of grief over postponing for 1 year. is anyone else having this problem and if so how do you handle it?

19 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on February 14, 2021 at 19:16
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Postponing your wedding celebrations doesn't give others the right to give you both grief over a simple wedding. You two can have your day however you choose. They all will be present to celebrate your anniversary in 2022 as planned and keeping your original plans for yourselves to know your on the right path. Family can be hard to deal with and just let them know your not letting your guard down because of anything or anyone.

We all have gone through some of the dealings in our own way and dealt with it the way we know. You have your battles with the last words to say and feel good about it.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Leanne, I am so glad to hear your day went the way you wanted it too. I absolutely understand, we talked about elopement but decided we really wanted to wait and do the big white wedding thing with everyone and we too will postpone any and all events until everything is safe for everyone involved especially since we have family flying in from all over the place to be with us.

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! It really was great. To be honest, getting married in front of a huge group of people was not what I wanted, so covid gave me a good excuse to quasi elope. We're just waiting around until we can celebrate with everyone now and safety definitely takes top priority for us. We'll wait as long as it takes.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hank,
    Thank you so much for this comment!!!
    It's true, I was always raised that respect is earned not given no matter the age, however that aparently doesn't seem to matter to certain family members who believe themselves to be entitled to the world and everything within it haha. We have since decided that the family who are giving flack shall be invited to a special party all of their own known as the pity party. We are becoming more and more stern with certain family members who are lets say stubborn for lack of better words.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Leanne,
    Congrats on your marriage!!! I hope your wedding was absolutely amazing!!! I completely understand why you did that and agree whole heartedly!! We have family coming from Georgia, England and Massachusetts so I completely understand where you are coming from. We thought the same thing. We are not going to risk the lives of our loved ones just for one day that seemed crazy to us but we still have some family here in Ontario who think we are overreacting. Again congrats and I wish you and your husband all the happiness in the world!!!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Considering we went from an original 250 guest list to one that's under 50, anyone who gives me grief over my wedding plans because they feel entitled to it is automatically getting uninvited. I don't take any bull from people to the chagrin of some traditional family members. As far as I'm concerned, respect goes both ways and age is not an automatic qualifier for it.

• L
    Curious June 2020 Ontario
    Leanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We got married last June. We tentatively postponed the reception to this June and have now postponed indefinitely. We haven't had too much flak except the occassional comment of disappointment or a bit of pressure to set a new date because "things are looking better" but I'm usually able to squash that because my husband's family lives in Peru and the country literally just started their vaccinations today so we can't just base our party on how great Canada looks when we have guests coming from Peru and also the US!

• Gioia
    Frequent user July 2021 Quebec
    Gioia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Girl I understand, I was worried about people being judgmental because we are planning to postpone our reception to next year and still have our ceremony this July. So far everyone has been extremely understanding, all my friends and family have told me that myself and my FH need to do what is best for us, and that we get to be selfish in this decision. You have to do what you and you fiance feel is right for both of you
  • J
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I’m the same way, which is a big reason why we postponed!
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a really good point! I don't think I'd be too comfortable at a wedding until I'm vaccinated (and I'll be one of the last people eligible for vaccination in my province so by extension practically everyone else also should be). If I was invited to a wedding this summer I'm not sure I'd attend.

• J
    Curious August 2021 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I actually had a few friends tell me they were relieved when I postponed. They have a few weddings this summer and are stressed about going to out of town weddings with COVID raging on but also not wanting to disappoint their friends. It can go both ways.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Amelia,
    That is a really clever idea on how to handle things. Thank you for this idea.
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We had a few family members who were a little offended that they weren't invited to our super small ceremony. We used our plan for a reception later on as a way to smooth things over.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much Christiana I really appreciate the feedback and yeah I try to be very firm about the wedding stuff with my family as they are from an older generation but at the same time be as respectful as I can. It can be difficult at times and sadly this happened to be one of those times.
  • Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly we are the same in that aspect. My MIL is not invited to our wedding as my SO doesn't talk to her for us it's my folks the ones that work are now upset that they have to change their entire schedule around just because "You can't stick to one date" they don't care about anything except their own ideas and opinions. It sucks.
  • Christiana
    Super November 2020 British Columbia
    Christiana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We didn’t postpone our ceremony but have a few friends that did. As far as I know they haven’t received any push back from people.
    I think if people aren’t being understanding, especially given the circumstances, they don’t deserve any type of explanation. It’s your wedding and you should do what you feel is best.
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm sorry that you're having do deal with that. No one should be giving you flack for wanting to postpone. I don't get some people and how they think that they can get into peoples heads about other peoples lives especially a wedding that's not even theirs.

I'm kinda in the same position. My fiance and I are swaying our ideas of postponing a second time and my MIL isn't very happy about it. She wants us to be married already. We do as well but we also want to have the wedding of our dreams and not have any regrets about it and have everyone in attendance.

• Erin
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I feel the same way but at the same time the last thing I want to do right now is to say something that is going to ruffle feathers especially with tensions already running high for everyone right now.
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Luckily no one said anything about us postponing for the year. I don't think I would care of they did have a problem to be perfectly honest. They can do whatever they like with their own weddings.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics