Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Curious October 2020 Nova Scotia

Plus One

Linda, on November 14, 2018 at 12:24 Posted in Wedding reception 0 23

Do people always let their guests invite a "plus one"?

23 Comments

Latest activity by Kelsie, on November 22, 2018 at 22:22
  • Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Each couple we know will be addressed together on an invite and those that are single will definitely get a plus one! The more the merrier for us.
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hahaha that is EXACTLY what I was thinking
  • Chelsea
    Super June 2020 Alberta
    Chelsea ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    100% agree! No tinder dates at my wedding, thanks 🙅🏼‍♀️
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I don't think you have to depending on the relationship. We are inviting a lot of couples, most of which we both know both of them.

I have a a couple single friends from work that I will be inviting, and if from now until June they are not in a serious relationship then I will not be addressing it "plus one". I do not need/want random strangers at my wedding because one of my guests just needed to grab a quick date.

Nope.

• Amie
    Devoted August 2019 British Columbia
    Amie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I love reading all the responses. It’s good to hear other people’s point of views. we are having a bit more of a traditional wedding so every member of our bridal party will get a plus one.

As for our guest list (it’s small - thank God), we have a rule, if they are married or living together or if we met them as a couple, they will be getting plus one. Also, if it’s a long-term relationship, they get a plus one. It only seems right (IMO).

I also think If you have guests coming from out of town, it may be gracious to offer them a plus one, especially if they don’t know a lot of your guests.

Surprisingly, all of our guests fall into the above categories so all of our guests will have plus ones. It’s OK for us because as of now, our guest list is 80 people. YAY for an intimate wedding.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This! I’m team plus ones.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We only included plus ones for people in serious relationships and our wedding party.

• Rachael
    Super October 2019 Ontario
    Rachael ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're only allowing +1s for guests who are in serious relationships. I don't want strangers appearing in the background of my pictures!

• Marleau
    Devoted October 2018 Ontario
    Marleau ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We only aloud guest that had been in long term (year+) relationships to have a plus one, any one else wasn’t given the option lol.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    No plus ones was on our list to any guests. It was particular to budget and some individuals whom came alone.
  • Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are!!! We have a few singles coming who may not know too many other people at the wedding so were allowing pretty much any single goer a plus one!
  • L
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That's a good idea Brittany. I will try to do that.
  • Brittany
    British Columbia
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Not at all. We have a "no randoms" rule. When our invitations went out, every single person who was invited had their name on their invite. If you're in a serious relationship now, we put down your S.O., if that relationship ends, your newbie date is not invited... if you aren't in a relationship 3 months out from the wedding, chances are you won't be by January, no plus one. Also, we made a point of meeting friend's/family's S.O.'s that we hadn't yet, so that we wouldn't be meeting them at the wedding.

• L
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Great answers everyone, thank you.

• Peggy
    Super May 2019 Alberta
    Peggy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Nope - it's totally up to you!

We have no plus one's - both due to cost, and due to space constraints.

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Obviously budget and how many people you want at your wedding play the biggest factor. so I can see people saying no to that.

we are giving plus ones as there are only about 10-20 people on our guest list without a significant other. so we will let that guest make the decision. its manageable for us.

as a person going to a wedding. before I was with my FH. I HATED the 2 weddings where I wasn't given a plus one. Not that I necessarily would have brought one (one I would, one I wouldn't have). but I liked the option. and because I got stuck at the table with a bunch of single people I didn't know. or at the table with all my aunts/uncles. it was annoying feeling like an after thought.

• Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Short answer : No!

Long answer: It depends on the couple, their budget and general feeling towards giving plus ones to everybody.

For us, it's definitely a budget thing and we want to keep it 'intimate' by keeping our guest list around 100 people. For these reasons, we're very much controlling who will be getting a plus one: couples and friends who wouldn't know anyone else.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Since we have a max of 250 people and have an even bigger list of people we want at our wedding (in fact we will have an A-list and B-list for invites), we will only be extending the plus one option to those who are in serious relationships. Even with that we should know the name of the S/O so it will have their name on the invitation - therefor not being a plus one but a regular guest. If you decide to limit the plus ones, just know that you will get nosey people asking why and if they can bring so-and-so. It happens 9/10 times. Just know that you can tell them that you are limited on space and if you end up with room that they will be the first to know.

• L
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's true.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Everyone is definitely different when it comes to plus ones. We offered a plus one to everyone. Some people are more comfortable when they can bring someone, even if it’s just a friend.
  • L
    Linda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. If they have to go looking for a date to the wedding then it seems better to skip the plus one.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally up to you! For ours, we're giving plus-ones to people who are in a serious relationship (dating at least 6 months, living together, engaged, etc)

• Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

No definitely not - depends on the size of the wedding and their relationship status as well.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics