Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Jennifer
Curious July 2021 New Brunswick

Plates & Cutlery

Jennifer, on April 17, 2020 at 11:19 Posted in Wedding reception 0 13

Hey there!

I am curious as to what to use for the plates and accessories (cutlery & glasses/cups) for the dinner. I am thinking disposable, but at the same time do not want to come off as tacky to some, plus I am thinking less clean up for my team of people I would assign to do this.

Opinions please!!!!

13 Comments

Latest activity by Jennifer, on April 23, 2020 at 19:49
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am going to be taking a look there, that is for sure.

Thank you

• Taylor
    Devoted October 2021 Alberta
    Taylor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Party city! If you look hard enough you can find some decent looking disposable options in many different colors. Anyone who judges you for it tell them they can do the dishes during the holidays or something lol
  • Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had actually forgot about that style of plates, will have to look into that! I have actually seen the wooden utensils!

Thank you!

• Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    You can find compostable options now. Some look like plastic, others are more of a wooded cutlery which would still work for rustic.

I wouldn't worry too much about the guests thinking disposable is tacky. As long as the food on the plates is good they won't even notice what they're eating off of. The one exception is if you need sturdy knives to cut steak, then I would rent instead of using disposable.
  • Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ya lol, we looked around everywhere for them (they were copper)! 😂 Just sucked to get the bill for them... had I known, I may have kept some for myself... Smiley tongue

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is gorgeous!

I do not have a decorator, but I myself have helped a couple of my friends plan their weddings, so I am not to bad.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're doing the rustic look too! I found so many mason jars on Marketplace, but then my decorator says that she has 60 available for rent, so I thought that was easier lol. So if you happen to have a decorator, or will be looking to hire one then keep in mind that they're a great resource for that kind of thing.

This is the kind of look we're going for, just with more spring/summer colours instead of fall

Plates & Cutlery 1

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Must of been some nice cutlery! Was thinking plastic as well, can get some reasonable prices on them. Really thinking of renting the plates to give it more of the classy look as you stated.

Thank you for your information!

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Our food catering comes with plastic cutlery and paper plates - so we opted to go to a rental place and got those from them as to not only come off as more "classy"/ "put together", but it's better for the environment too. As for the cups... ya... we went with plastic cups :/ We weren't wanting people to break cups or have us run out if we can't wash them fast enough. Plus you don't need to wash the dishes and cutlery - just return them dirty!! Only problem we had was one of our guests stole a set of cutlery and we were charged for not returning a set... wish we knew who it was...

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As we are looking at a rustic look for our wedding, was thinking of mason jars with the handles for the glasses. Which are seemingly easy to find!

Thanks for the info!

• Jennifer
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, we have looked into that option of renting as well.

• Samantha
    Super June 2021 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to be using plates from Ikea and are $1 each that have that porcelain look (we only need 60). Then we'll probably sell them on Facebook Marketplace after so other brides/grooms or whoever can use them. When we thought we were going to go the BBQ route we thought about disposables but I didn't want to produce that much garbage if we didn't have to. As for glasses, FH's mom has a friend who's son just got married and they're giving away their glassware so we snagged those. Have a look on Facebook Marketplace, you never know what you can find and for usually a good price, too! And depending on the look you're going for you can mix and match different sets so you can buy some here and some there and keep an eye out at garage sales and places like that.

And like Gloria said, there are places where you can rent those things so you don't have to worry about selling them later.

• Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Depends on your budget/vision nr of people, and venue. You also don’t have to buy- renting is a cheap and easy way. Think of catering companies that will come and do all the leg work, clean ups etc

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics