Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gina
Super April 2019 Alberta

Plated vs Buffet Dinner.

Gina, on May 4, 2018 at 16:12 Posted in Wedding reception 0 54
I’m back and forth on having a plated dinner (4 course) vs a buffet. The problem with a plated dinner is that there won’t be an option (they don’t allow options for over 60 people) for either beef, chicken or fish. I love the formality of a plated dinner. Everyone eats at the same time. No one has to get up (especially in heels). No worrying about calling table numbers. But then buffet allows more food options.
what have you chosen for your wedding? Or more importantly, which do you prefer when going to a wedding?

54 Comments

Latest activity by Natalie, on August 2, 2018 at 14:59
  • Natalie
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Plated. As someone with food allergies I really hate buffets.
  • Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have been torn on this as it isn't that much cheaper for us to do a buffet. I think we are leaning towards plated as almost all of our guests will be travelling and I think it will be nicer for them. I am more concerned as I wanted to do a chicken, fish and vegetarian option and my mom is insisting we have a beef option. My FH will be home soon (from deployment) so I will discuss it more with him.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Midnight taco bar? That’s awesome! I am probably doing poutine as a midnight snack lol.
  • Mandi
    Curious April 2020 Alberta
    Mandi ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a buffet. It's for not only budget reasons, but allows for more options for the guests as well. We are then planning a midnight Taco bar.

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm glad they told you beforehand because that would have been crazy information to receive out of the blue!

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They can change the prices up until 90days before the wedding lol. The menu items are going up between 5-8% and our corkage is going up to $15 per person. Booooo!!! He mentioned it before we signed the contract, so we weren’t surprised when the new menu came up. You’re right, the options better improve lol
  • Karen
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Karen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm doing buffet so my guest can have options to what they wanna eat. Plus some guest may eat less than the others so it'll kinda balance it out.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope the prices aren't increasing too much! What does it say in your contract regarding that?

And they better have some great things if they're charging you more for it now lol.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    They said it’s a complete redo, so it could definitely go either way now. Prices are increasing on everything (of course) lol. So hopefully they are expanding their options! Because they only offer plated with options to under sixty people, im really hoping they up that number to 100. Lol.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're absolutely right about the stress of figuring out who eats first/last lol. I personally don't care but I guess it depends on how much you're paying attention to it (my older guests will definitely notice this I'm sure).

Ooooo a redo on their menu! That is very exciting in so many ways! Will this determine whether you go with plated or buffet?

• Rosalyn
    Devoted August 2018 Alberta
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That would be so hard! We are definitely lucky to have the options given to the guests!
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It definitely adds stress for figuring out who eats first/last. Those were choices I really didn’t want to make. Haha. There wasn’t an option for 2 different proteins for plated BUT I just got an email that their redoing their entire menu in September, so I’m excited to see what’s changing
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s so true. I never eat it all either.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow, that’s a great option! We would have to pick one soup, one salad, one entree and one dessert for everyone, so it makes it so hard! If I had people had that option, then I would definitely do plated!
  • Samantha
    Frequent user June 2018 Ontario
    Samantha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a buffet because it's much more affordable and also fits more with us than a plated dinner. It's totally understandable why most people choose plated. I honestly prefer buffet just because I never can finish the amounts that are served during a plated meal, and I feel like it's such a waste for the people who paid for the food.

• Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our dinner will be plated. 2 starter choices, 3 main choices (plus one vegetarian) and 2 dessert choices (aside drink cake). It cost $10 extra dollars per plate to allow for choice menu but it will be worth it! And still only $55/pp
  • Rosalyn
    Rosalyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I prefer plated.

very buffet that I have been to, we have been the last table called and only had scraps to eat (obviously caterer underordrred). Plus, when people were walking back to their table I’ve had sauce dripped down my back as they passed me, people have dropped their plates, taken too much food, dinner service is longer etc.

But that being said you are totally right about variety!!
  • Natalie
    Newbie July 2019 Alberta
    Natalie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I much prefer plated. I hate buffets. Waiting in line, getting seconds, all of it.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our venue only had plated service 3 courses given the choice we wanted to serve the guests and seperate menu for kids. It was included and affordable.
  • Lor
    Frequent user August 2018 Ontario
    Lor ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

It was based on our venue, they only do Buffet.. and its Fajitas... so i was hesitant at first cause i thought i wanted more elegance for my wedding. but at the end of the day, food is food and this way everyone gets the food they want and how they want it. and people will have fun. And eat as much as they want without costing me extra too.

i think i prefer buffet too cause you can eat as little or as much as you want.

• Hollie
    Beginner September 2018 Ontario
    Hollie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a buffet. We found this a lot cheaper as we are having over 150 people at our wedding. If we were under 80 people though we would of done plated as it would of been cheaper then. The nice thing with our buffet though is the elderly, and my wedding party will still get served. As my main concern was making sure it was accessible for our grandparents.

• Erin
    Super September 2019 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm having a buffet. It's much less expensive and slightly less formal (fits my theme). I never, EVER finish my meal at a wedding when it's plated... I always feel so bad sending back half a plate of uneaten food... With a buffet, I can take exactly what I want and the amount of it that I want. It's also much less difficult than offering options and having to keep track of food choices and dietary restrictions.
  • Bianca
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I chose to do a plated meal (3 courses) with no choice of an entrée except for vegetarians and/or vegans. We're doing a steak and chicken as the entrée.

I prefer to just go to an event and have a plated meal. It seems more formal and there's more time for people to sit down and mingle at their tables.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Buffet is more for us too. But it is understandable considering there are more options and some people will probably eat more haha.The fact that you can bundle it with a cocktail hour is great!
  • Charmaine
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Charmaine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We decided to do a buffet. Surprisingly for us we found it to be a a little more expensive than plated, but we liked the fact that it came with more options. Also the package we selected included a cocktail hour where the plated did not.

• Michelle
    Super September 2018 Alberta
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah I'm thinking of smaller heels and switching to flats during the reception for the dances.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s so great that you get so many options! It’s to bad my venue doesn’t give options if it’s over 60 people. I agree, I don’t mind either way when I go to a wedding.
  • Kay
    Devoted September 2018 Nova Scotia
    Kay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are doing a plated dinner. However, we are having less than 20 people to our wedding, and the venue has a condensed menu (roughly 7 entrees to choose from) for weddings/special events. This way, there's lots of diversity in the foods, can cater to everybody, and the food will be fresh, hot, and delicious. Hoping, anyway! hah.

This all being said, I've never cared if it was buffet or plated at a wedding. Honestly, I'm just happy someone is offering to feed me in order for me to be part of their big day. Smiley smile

• Jennifer
    Super July 2019 Ontario
    Jennifer ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oohhhh man! Smiley sad too bad.
    good luck on your decision making. remember. at the end of the day. do what you really want. and what works with your budget.

• Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s a great idea. I can’t believe buffet is cheaper at so many places. It’s the same for us.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Unfortunately the hotel we are at doesn’t offer it! I asked because the original venue we were going to go with, that’s the only way they serve the food. I have been to two weddings that did the country style serving and it was the best IMO. It was a little disappointing the hotel doesn’t.
  • Gina
    Super April 2019 Alberta
    Gina ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s why I originally wanted plated, I’m so clumsy in heels, I’m wearing flats my entire wedding! Haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics