Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Devoted August 2021 Nova Scotia

Planning "re-do"?!

Kl, on April 15, 2020 at 20:46 Posted in WeddingWire 4 29

Hey everybody!

This discussion is geared towards those brides and grooms who have made the heart-wrenching call to postpone their weddings due to COVID-19. I am a former August 2020 bride who made the tough decision to postpone until 2021. I've tried to make the best of a disappointing situation by focusing on the silver lining: an extra year to plan, save, and revisit earlier (and perhaps rushed) choices!

I have no doubt that many (or most?!) of you orchestrated your dream wedding for your original date, and were totally confident in each and every decision. And I feel you! I was also pumped for my "original" wedding. But I for one also got caught up in the whirlwind of planning when we first started out. I then spent months second guessing certain choices. So one upside to postponing is that we now have a chance to re-evaluate our priorities and further refine our special day.

More time also means more time to save, even if it isn't much! So I guess I'm wondering what, if anything, would you do differently this time around? Will you try to splurge for any special extras (decor items, videography, photobooth, dream dress, more food or booze, etc.), given the additional time? Will you leave everything as is? Will you alter or enhance your honeymoon plans?

Here are a couple of changes I'm making in my planning "do-over":

- Instinctually, I always knew I wanted a band for the reception. But we decided to go with an (awesome) DJ for cost reasons. With the extra time to save, I've now booked my first choice band.

- I'm re-evaluating the guest list a little. We hadn't sent out invitations yet, so I can now wait and see if I've actually maintained a special relationship with certain guests a year from now.

- I'm rethinking a few decor items I ordered in a rush.
Disclaimer: I absolutely understand that these questions may seem frivolous, particularly since some couples who have had to postpone their weddings are taking a major financial hit. It's simply intended to introduce some lightness/optimism Smiley smile
Much love to all!

29 Comments

Latest activity by Bouthaina, on April 25, 2020 at 22:37
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My pleasure girl!
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! Yes, I should probably just go for it at this point. You can't plan around possible future waves of a pandemic. I may breathe a little easier though if our date is similar to yours though lol.

• V
    Frequent user September 2021 Ontario
    Veronica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is so cute! I love how you guys got married on your original date, congratulations!

We also were not sure about 2021 and we kept putting it off, we then regretted it cause now we had to settle for September 25, 2021 when if we re-booked a little earlier we may have gotten an earlier date. All our vendors were so booked up, because like you said 2021 is jam packed with weddings already. I hope you guys find a beautiful day in 2021 for your reception Smiley smile
  • Megan
    Frequent user April 2021 Ontario
    Megan ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We cancelled our 4-4-2020 wedding. We actually ended up getting legally married on our front lawn that day with family watching from their cars. We are going to move the reception to 2021, but I'm a little torn about picking an actual date until we see some improvement. With that being said, I'm sure 2021 will be jam packed with weddings, so I'm not sure if we should just go for it. I'm with you, I think we might rethink the guest list a little.

• H
    Beginner September 2020 Arizona
    Heather ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your post has defiantly made me feel better on the fact of "More time to plan" Thank you for that Smiley smile
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh! Clumsy fingers. As I was saying, I think it’s key to still honour the occasion in some way so there’s a little something to look forward to. Hang in there!
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s fabulous that you’ve assembled such a great team of vendors who can accommodate the change!! And agreed. I’ll definitely be sad when my original date arrives. I think it’s key to honour th
  • Jeff
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Jeff ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our date was scheduled for June 20,2020. We have ourselves until 60 days before to decide on postponing until 2021.
    This last week with all of the news announced we decided to move our day to may of 2021. It was a heart breaking decision as we had really wanted our original date.

I think moving forward it will allow us to save some more money so less(none) goes on credit, and anything we hadn't thought of doing, we maybe will come up with having this extra time.
    We may alter our guest list a little bit to focus more on the people we truly want to be there with us, and I think decor wise we may add or change a few things. Most of our vendors have been fantastic and we wouldn't change a thing in that regard
    Ultimately, June 20 I think is going to be a tough day for us for a long while, but, what can you do!
    Best of luck to everyone in a similar situation.
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Preach! The uncertainty is brutal. Hopefully November will be safe bet though Smiley smile
    Your seating chart sounds like such a fun extra. I absolutely LOVE acrylic signage. We ordered an acrylic welcome sign and I’m obsessed with it.
  • Beatriz
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Beatriz ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I would say that although I didn’t want a very big wedding at first I was really excited had turned out and absolutely love my vendors. If things did go as planned in November I may splurge on a few extra things that I was going to be frugal on, like our seating chart. I was going to print it ourselves at staples, but now I will likely get a rental company to do a nice acrylic one for us!
    If only I had a magic crystal ball to tell me if our wedding will go forward on our new date🔮
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aww Im sorry to hear about your honeymoon! At least there are countless fun travel opportunities across our great nation Smiley smile
    That’s awesome that your wedding is planned and essentially all paid for tho. Time to kick back and brainstorm ways to mark the occasion in October?!
  • Kevin
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Kevin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We moved ours from October 24 /20 to April 3 /21 and we have cancelled our honeymoon to Disney World. We have decided if we go on a honeymoon then we will do it in Canada. Unsure where yet though. If the pandemic allows we will do something just ourselves to acknowledge our original wedding day. We think we may do a Easter themed candy bar-not 100% sure yet. Everything else we kept the same and we have already paid 90% of it, so it's just relax now and wait impatiently.

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally. That was the headache/heartache I was trying to avoid by pushing it out a year. But based on the latest forecasting it does seem like we can expect a significant shift by August. I’m crossing my fingers for you!
  • J
    Beginner May 2022 Ontario
    Julianna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We moved from May 2020 TO August 2020 so I'm hoping that August is okay or else I don't know if I have the heart to reschedule everything again...
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Love it!! It is indeed so easy to get carried away. My FH has definitely had to rein me in a little haha.
  • Darren
    Frequent user May 2021 Ontario
    Darren ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your decision to postpone until next year is a feeling I know all to well. My partner and I have moved from August 2020 to May 2021. Even though we were already mostly done with everything we have also chosen to not make any changes as to avoid getting carried away.
  • Vanny
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hell yeah! We def have to look at the silver lining in all of this
  • Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We were unsure how long this would last so that made it really hard to plan for many reasons; people are hesitant to RSVP and commit, hard to get ahold of some vendors, and also just became really not fun to plan.

Further, we didn't want people to worry or stress or feel like the wedding is a burden. THis is a financially, emotionally and mentally hard time for a lot of people!

• K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Honeymoon is huge! I inadvertently left that off my own list. We were gonna have to push the honeymoon until 2021 regardless due to work commitments. Now we can merge everything together. Hang in there girl!
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is exactly what my friends were talking to me about and what my fiancé and I were talking about! We haven't officially postponed yet but we feel like it's going to come down to it. Don't even know how many times I can tell you I cried but we've accepted the fact that it's most likely not going to happen......a whole year means more planning and not hesitating to get things we were thinking of getting / really wanted but had to put on the maybe / let's see if we could afford it list and we can definitely hire those vendors now! More to put on decor, etc and the best part -- planning a nicer and longer honeymoon
  • Vanny
    Vanny ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey girl! What made you postpone your Sept wedding ?
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is such a fun and unique idea I absolutely love it. Sounds like you two are 100% making the best of all this.
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    More time to finesse the details is a definite bonus. I’m totally with you in terms of motivation. Since deciding to postpone and figuring out the logistics and administrative stuff, I’ve certainly taken my foot off the gas a bit. It’s chaos out there. We shouldn’t put pressure on ourselves to be super productive!
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    FH and I were talking tonight about having the party one day shy of out anniversary so we could have a new year's eve style midnight countdown to our actual anniversary. I'm liking the idea more and more!
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh!! A second dress. SO exciting. That would be a wicked extra. I love the idea of an elopement on the original date and then vow renewal/bigger bash later down the road or even on your first anniversary. I think the eventual reception type event would have such a special energy
  • K
    Kl ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Totally! Rentals definitely streamline the process. I feel like my home storage space is already maxed out with wedding knick knacks lol
  • Amelia
    Master October 2020 New Brunswick
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I totally agree with you! When we booked our venue I had a panic because all of a sudden there was a date and a location and I couldn't change my mind. I'm so indecisive, that having the ability to change my mind taken away was really hard.

We haven't officially decided to postpone, but I can't imagine we will be having our original plans because family may not be able to travel, and older relatives might not be allowed to attend gatherings. We're officially deciding in July, but I would be happy to call it postponed before then.
    I've enjoyed playing with the idea of eloping. We always talked about it but we wanted to keep family happy too. Now we can dream about a wedding with just us, maybe even on a different date, and we've talked about having a gathering for our first anniversary to keep our family happy. It definitely gives us more time to save for the party. And I've toyed with the idea of going back for the "almost" dress and having one for our elopement and one for our anniversary party/vow renewal. So many possibilities again!!
  • Emily
    Curious August 2022 Ontario
    Emily ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Love this post and the positive spin!

We moved ours from September 2020 to August 2021 and as you said, gives us a lot more time to save. We have booked all of our vendors, have most decor but it is definitely extra time to add smaller and more expensive touches that we decided to forego to respect our budget.

With that said, I thought quarantine would give me a chance to do more DIY but I haven't been super motivated to do much wedding related

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Its great to re evaluate the choices made and look at the cost of each.
    The onw thing i considered was simple decor on rental basis to avoid giving away and keeping at home after the whole thing is done to resell. Rental saved less on the cost and putting it together within minutes. The centerpieces, gift table and backdrop would be the main areas to focus so you have nothing to pack up and have vendors tear down when the party is done.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics