Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amelia
Master October 2020 New Brunswick

Planning Milestones - Time for Cake!

Amelia, on January 7, 2020 at 21:03 Posted in Wedding reception 0 17
I love cake. I get extra excited for birthdays and weddings and baby showers because there will be cake.

I promised my fiance that we would pause the wedding planning over the holidays and now we are diving back in with our cake! In the next few weeks we are stopping at a few local bakeries to try cupcakes. I've been saying for months that I didn't think we would do cupcakes and I'm about to eat my words (and a lot of cupcakes). It seems like the best way for he and I to each have the flavors we like and that guests are most likely to enjoy (he loves lemon, I want vanilla with buttercream, my dad made a request for red velvet or carrot cake...)

I want to hear about your wedding cake!Will you do cupcakes, or a tiered cake? Will you skip cake and opt for an ice cream sundae bar or something else fun and different? Did you chose a flavor that you loved or go for the crowd pleasers?Do you plan on smashing a slice on the face of your new spouse?

17 Comments

Latest activity by Allison, on January 13, 2020 at 13:22
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We did a small one tier cake (for cutting) as well as cupcakes! We didn't regret it since we were able to provide a variety of flavours, and while our venue provides cake cutting services, we didn't want to have guests wait around for cake-cutting.

The only downside was we didn't remember to do the cake cutting while the photographer was still there and some guests had left so we had a lot left over - which could be a good thing if you and FH like sweets lol

• Michelle
    Expert October 2021 Nova Scotia
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're doing a two-tier semi naked cake! We booked our baker back in summer based off of her reviews and price alone. I was a little nervous booking someone before tasting her desserts but I didn't see a single negative review at all. We go for our tasting in July this year and I'm looking forward to it!

• B
    Beginner September 2021 Ontario
    Breanna ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We're going to have a small cake for the head table: marble cake with vanilla buttercream icing. Guests will have their choice of cupcake:

- Marble cake - vanilla buttercream icing
    - Red Velvet cake - cream cheese frosting
    - Vanilla cake - raspberry filling - vanilla buttercream icing
    Honestly, the cake tasting was my favourite part of planning so far!

• Ashley
    VIP August 2020 Ontario
    Ashley ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can do a tier cake and pick a few flavors that way you all get what you want lol and people have the choice for which cake they want to eat

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Totally get the cupcake thing for the flavours.

Although we didn't go with a cake-cake (we went with a Korovai which is a braided bread "cake"), we picked out dainties as our dessert Smiley tongue Which actually did include a cake! We had; carrot cake, brownies, butter tarts, and Nanaimo bars!

Then later in the night we had a s'mores bar.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

The plated service had our 3 tier cake sliced served (saved the top tier) with the choice of pastries to other guests than family with our dessert chosen Crème brulee. The amount picked was perfect and nothing left at the end of the night.

• Madisyn
    Expert February 2020 Ontario
    Madisyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    After all the healthy eating leading up to the wedding, I cannot wait to stuff my face with cake!! We are doing a two-tier cake - bottom tier being vanilla, and the top tier red velvet. Both will have a whipped cream icing.
  • A
    Super September 2020 Ontario
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

FH's aunt is a french-trained chef so she's going to be making our cake Smiley smile We'll probably go with a few tiers with maybe a few flavours. FH and I both want at least one tier to be vanilla with salted caramel filling and a vanilla bean buttercream. And we'll probably see if she can make one tier a vegan chocolate concoction since my sister is vegan.

• Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Brave or crazy..... Lol
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My office would love to be cupcake guinea pigs!
    I don't really bake. I've just started to dabble a bit now that our new house has a big enough kitchen and I made the mistake of baking zucchini bread for my coworkers. Now they have expectations!

I wish I was brave enough to bake our wedding cake. Props to you!
  • Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    😂The more the merrier! I've been using my coworkers as guinea pigs for my recipes and was told by my boss that she would arm wrestle anyone for the maple cupcakes if I didn't make enough lol
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My whole mouth filled with saliva just reading that...room for one more at your reception?? 😜
  • Miranda
    Curious May 2020 Alberta
    Miranda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going to be baking our cupcakes! I am going with Boston Cream with a chocolate ganache, vanilla with maple buttercream and mocha with Bailey's buttercream Smiley smile.
    FH loooooves boston cream pie, I am nuts for anything maple and we both love our coffee and baileys so the flavours were a no brainer 😂
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I tried them at the wedding show in September and still think about how good they were.
  • Amelia
    Amelia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ooh I like that idea! Picturing a table covered in cakes makes me a very happy girl!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm going to do my own 6" cutting cake and I think we are going with nothing bunt cakes instead of cupcakes. They have 10 flavours to choose from. They brought a white chocolate raspberry that was so good. Since we will likely get a few dozen we will probably get 4 or 5 flavours.
  • Caitlyn
    Super January 2020 Ontario
    Caitlyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We’re doing a three tiered cake. We’re hoping to save the top tier to freeze and eat on our anniversary. We’ve chosen to do two cake flavours, red velvet and dulce de leche. Cake tasting was so much fun!

We won’t be doing a cake smash, it’s a waste of good cake 😛

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics