Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Shaylyn
Beginner July 2020 Saskatchewan

Pizza and pasta bar reception dinner?

Shaylyn, on May 7, 2017 at 14:46 Posted in Wedding reception 0 9

Our caterer has tons of different food options available and we are having a hard time picking what we want to serve! We've considered a pizza buffet (five different options!) as well as a pasta buffet (four options with a two types of meat!) and it comes with salads, garlic bread, desserts and drinks for only $18pp for each bar. Our other option is double the cost at $50pp for a steak and salmon entree buffet (not even plated) which is obviously more traditional. I'm wondering if a pizza and pasta buffet is too tacky for a wedding reception? Both options do fit into our budget, but I know my FH and I would definitely enjoy the pizza and pasta WAY more than steak and salmon, so saving money isn't the reason. We've also tossed around the idea of giving funny "bibs" for guests to wear so they don't make a mess of their nice outfits!

But I'm concerned that my guests will feel "cheated" almost after having to travel a bit of a distance to come to our wedding and not having a Red Lobster meal.

If it makes a difference, we are having a full, open bar all night and offering lots of discounts on activities in the area so they can make the most of the wedding weekend. We are also having a semi-formal ceremony/reception.

9 Comments

Latest activity by Vinod, on January 10, 2018 at 12:20
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your having soething out of the ordinary ans its fine. Everyone will be happy to eat whats being offered. Plus its your day to enjoy and make all the decisions.
  • Laura
    Super September 2017 Alberta
    Laura ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Honestly I think the only people that you should worry about not disappointing with your wedding is you and your FH. If pizza and pasta will make you guys happy then that is what you should serve. I also think the idea about bibs or aprons for people is a great idea and will be a happy memory for you guys to cherish for years! Your friends and family will be coming to your wedding to witness your union and to celebrate with you and not likely for free food and drinks or to judge you on your decisions (okay someone will probably be judging you but if that is why they came then their opinion doesn't really matter) Smiley heart

• Michelle
    Curious September 2018 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Pizza and pasta is totally fine! People come to weddings for the fun experiance and to see people they love join together.
    Obviously some people are judgey but realistically, majority of the weddings I've been too, the expensive food they pay for whether it be steak or a chicken breast, it's always poorly cooked. Half the time a delicious pizza or Pasta dish would have been preferred.
    Weddings are about having an amazingly fun time, laughing with your friends and family, and enjoying a tasty meal, and I think everyone can agree pasta and pizza is amazing 😊
  • Jen
    VIP June 2018 Ontario
    Jen ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pizza and pasta sounds absolutely fantastic! Do what will make the two of you happy and if that means having a cheaper meal rather than $50pp I'd say go for it! At least you know your bellies will be full and happy at the end of the night.

• Katherine
    Frequent user August 2017 Quebec
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I think pizza and pasta sounds great, especially since they offer so many options! I wouldn't worrie about people feeling cheated, they are getting more options and variety than if they had steak or salmon
  • Melinda
    Devoted September 2017 Ontario
    Melinda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Pizza and pasta sounds delicious! I would prefer that over meat and potatoes for sure!

• Sasha
    Super October 2017 Ontario
    Sasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That sounds amazing! Honestly you should do what you prefer. If that's more of your style then go for it! If people have an issue that's their problem. This is you and your FH's day you should enjoy every aspect of it. And especially if it helps the budget that's a plus! My FH and I were going to have a couple of food trucks or have Lonestar (a texan style restaurant) cater because that's just so us lol. But our venue does the catering so we ended up not going with it.
  • Zoë
    Master June 2020 Ontario
    Zoë ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi Shaylyn!

I think you should do what you want. It is your wedding day, don't think about what other people would think.

I'm sharing this discussion with you, I think you will like them.Smiley heart What food will be served at your wedding? and How much food and drinks will you need?

Where will your wedding take place? Smiley love

• Hannah
    Frequent user March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Hannah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Your wedding should reflect you and your FH. If pizza and pasta is more your style, have that! If you are concerned about what your guests will think, you could have the traditional meal and have pizza come out as a late night snack.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics