Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cherry
Devoted October 2019 Quebec

Pictures and posting in social media

Cherry, on March 13, 2019 at 18:17 Posted in Wedding ceremony 0 26

I need advise on what's the right way to tell people not to post any pictures in social media before I did it first. This started 2 weeks ago when we had our Jack and Jill bridal shower. One of my friends was posting the pictures all over FB before the night was over, tagged me in too before I had the chance to do it. Since I was tagged, all my other friends saw it and started congratulating me. I find it very annoying and I think it's totally trespassing. I might be selfish. But it's my event and I want to be the first to post in the social media. Now, I am worried the same things will happen on our wedding. Does anyone have the same concern or am I too sensitive?

26 Comments

Latest activity by John, on June 21, 2019 at 09:59
  • Dionne
    Frequent user August 2019 Ontario
    Dionne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I just went to a wedding where the officiant made the announcement before the start of the ceremony that we should put our phones/cameras away, as the photographer is only one allowed to take pics. You could have your officiant do the same and request no posting of pics taken at your event until after you as a couple has done so. Good luck

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I have seen signs that say this is an unplugged wedding.. They look nice and are part of the decor.

You can even explain that it's ok to take pictures but to please not post them on social media until you have the chance to post.

It's also something you can announce if you have an MC or have your bridal party tell people.. I can't imagine anyone being offended by this request so I don't think there's a wrong way to deliver it.

• Candace
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Candace ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We are having a unplugged ceremony so that people won’t have ceremony photos to post of social media until we do. We are also going to get a photo of us very shortly after the ceremony is finished and post it on our social media so that we be the first to post about us being “Mr and Mrs Longhorn”. We paid for the wedding we get to introduce ourselves on social media first lol.
    Then whatever our guests post during our reception isn’t a huge deal
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

This may be a hard one to say that guests will still go ahead and ignore you asking to post pictures before you do.

The only way to stop pictures is to go on media and post that no wedding pics be posted until I have done so first and thanks.

I know during our ceremony, there were 2 girls that were posting pictures of themselves and of the wedding while it was happening. That I found rude and annoying. Reception time came and there again, these 2 girls the same and 1 taking a selfie while the photographer was trying to get a nice picture of the table.

• Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Turn the tagging option off.Politely ask people not to post until you have but take away their option of tagging you in everything.
  • Elizabeth
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Part of my frustration with people posting photos early on comes from boundaries. You never know who does or doesn't want their picture up on social media.

My step dad was full on livid when his son put pictures up on Facebook with him in them. He wants nothing to do with social media. Then on the other side of the family, my step-mom has no boundaries with posting pictures of her grandchildren... despite knowing full well that the parents do NOT want their kids' photos on the internet.

• Kelly
    Expert September 2019 Manitoba
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I think your friends are just really excited for you, and I understand their wanting to share that excitement.

Everybody's already covered the bases below for ensuring your guests are cellphone free on your day. Good suggestions all around re signage.

Honestly, I never would have thought about not posting pictures of the couple while at their wedding. Its just not something that would have crossed my mind, so that's probably the case with a lot of your guests as well. Just communicate that with your guests, and you should be fine.

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahhh... it makes more sense now. Smiley laugh. Thanks a bunch Valerie.
  • Valérie
    VIP September 2019 Quebec
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Here's the picture I had originally attached to our messages. The 2nd translation/wording I sent you will make more sense now haha.

French Unplugged WordingPictures and posting in social media 1

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would talk to those two and let them know that you would like to be the first to post about your wedding. I think having an unplugged ceremony will definitely help too, so you get a chance to be first!

• Valérie
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm francophone.. so I can totally come up with something for you! I'll send you a message later today with a little something Smiley winking

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for knowing the feeling.

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is a good advise. Thank you. So far, I only know 2 people among all the guest who would likely to post right away. One is my friend and the other one is future sister-in-law. They are the type who posted what they ate everyday, pictures from past vacations repeatedly and was posting their selfies few times a week as if they are afraid others would forget how they look.

• Stephanie
    VIP May 2019 Ontario
    Stephanie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

To each their own for sure! I personally LOOOVE when people post my events during! When I get home and can go online and see a bunch of re-caps and photos idk I love it! I had my bridal shower last weekend and seeing all the posts was great! I still haven't had time to make a good proper post yet so I'm thrilled others have shared already!

But again! If this is something you don't like I think you're more than fair to feel this! I would just make sure you let people know ahead of time like you said, this day in age people post on social media before they talk to people in person so you gotta be on top of that!

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don't mind if they posted their own pictures, as long as it's not mine. I never had this kind of feeling nor even thought bout it until the Jack and Jill. I didn't touch my phone when I am with friends or in any events. But that night when we got home past midnight, I was checking my email in bed and I saw lots of FB notifications and only then I noticed my friend had been posted our bridal showers pictures all over her FB and was tagging me saying "Cherry's Bridal Shower". I totally felt it was trespassing. What if I didn't want any of my other friends to know I had bridal shower? Not all people like to share their life in social media.
  • Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We won't be having any wedding hashtag as we are from older generation and not too much into this new trend. The only social media we have is FB with the purpose to connect with friends and family overseas.

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you. I will add the posting in the invitation too.

• Cherry
    Cherry ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the advise. Our wedding will be in Gatineau, Quebec. I had a little concern if that's the norm there. But when I saw you are in Quebec, I think that should be the norm too.

By the way, I don't know if any of my FH sisters would know what to write on the sign (they are in their 50s and 60s) and I don't know French. I am wondering if you could help with what I should write? Thanks.

• Elizabeth
    Frequent user September 2020 Ontario
    Elizabeth ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

For the Jack and Jill or the shower it may be harder to stop people from posting to social media. Those events are usually less formal so I find guest are less worried about how other people will feel about the photos going up. If you have another pre-wedding event the best bet is to ask people to wait for you to post before they do.

I get a wee bit annoyed about stuff like that too. My future MiL posted that we were engaged before we had announced it on Facebook. Thankfully we had already told our immediate family members but it was a little annoying. Her post got way more likes and responses than ours did because she posted it before hand... plus its kinda awkward to accept congratulations on someone else's post. She didn't mean anything about it though, she is just a bit flighty at times.

• Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I would strongly recommend having an unplugged ceremony, if you're not already. That way, guests won't be able to post photos of you, your FH, Snapchatting your vows to their story, etc.

I'm like you and find it totally annoying when people are posting moments instead of living them - don't get me started on Snapchat stories of concerts lol.

I have the same concerns, which is why our ceremony is unplugged. Once we leave the space, we'll veer off into a side hallway, take a quick selfie (#married!) and I'll post it right away so I'm first lol. We're having signs that say Unplugged Ceremony, our officiant is announcing it, so guest will know. You could have that and a blurb saying "please refrain from posting on Social Media until the bride/couple does!" Also, you can change your settings in FB so that your permission is needed to tag/show up on your timeline so you can "tag" yourself when you have a chance. If you know it's a specific person that's posting before you, talk to them about your concerns and ask they don't post right away until you do.

• Liana
    Curious June 2021 Ontario
    Liana ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    When I see guests post pictures, I look forward seeing what the bride and groom will post. Guests pictures makes it look like they had a great time enough to post it online.
  • Robyn
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Robyn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I'm not asking anyone to be unplugged before the wedding, but it will just be me, my mom, and my MOH. The ceremony will be very strictly unplugged though - we intend to ensure this goes smoothly by having signs, putting it on the ceremony programs, asking the priest to announce it prior to the ceremony, and having our day of coordinator act as an anti-cellphone "enforcer"

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I get what you mean, and as much as there being no way to fully avoid it - your best bet is probably to have a bunch of signs reminding people that it's an unplugged day. With that being said, it will have to say no posting on social media. You may also want to make sure you don't have a wedding hashtag as if somebody sees a hashtag then they will most likely post asap.

• Holly
    VIP June 2019 Ontario
    Holly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    For me I don't think it's a big deal if our guests post pictures before I post anything. However, we are having an unplugged ceremony so no one will have any personal pictures of that so I don't have to even worry there. Just have a sign posted as well as something on your invitation or website telling guests to not take it post photos on social media. They should respect your decision.
  • Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ditto to this! Just have signs at the ceremony and reception that you don’t want pictures shared until the next day (or never). I’ve been to weddings like that and people respected it.
  • Valérie
    Valérie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I mean, in the age of social media and instant gratification, this is bound to happen but it doesn't mean it's right.

You could add a blurb about having an unplugged wedding (ceremony + reception) on your details card, or on your wedding website. Also, printing a sign reminding guests that it's an unplug event on the day of your wedding.

Personally, I can totally understand doing that for the wedding ceremony, as I don't want to see guests' phones in my pictures or have a photographer who is blocked by guests. As for the reception, I am looking forward to seeing other people's perspective via social media by using our wedding hashtag.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics