Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Michelle
Newbie July 2019 Ontario

Photography Nightmare Come True

Michelle, on July 12, 2019 at 18:43 Posted in Just married 0 18

My wedding was last weekend and our photographer just informed me one of the memory cards corrupted - the one with ALL our post-ceremony (family) photos! This means I may not have a single photo with my parents, family, close friends and it is devastating. We did pre-ceremony photos with the wedding party (thank god!) but cannot quantify this loss of photos with family.

The worst part in all of this is knowing it was preventable - yes, this was a technology glitch but professional photographers have the capability to use 2 memory cards at the same time (one backing up the other) to prevent this very thing from happening. It was her job to take every precaution available incase this very thing happened. I'm not a professional photographer but wouldn't their motto be "always have a backup" when their business literally relies on it?

We spent a large % of our wedding budget (over $3000) to secure a reputable professional photographer and asked her sooooo many interview questions in advance. Our package came with 2 photographers, but to keep the flow of family moving efficiently, the 2nd photographer was rounding up all the troops according to our "shot list" while our primary photographer took all the photos. We quite literally have no back up.

Anybody else have experience with this, and what type of re-course did you have? Our photographer offered a partial refund however no amount of money can replace what we have lost, and never can we re-create the day. My family flew in from all over. Does a partial refund even sound fair? We didn't lose everything, but she failed at her job imo. I now have to break my mom's heart and tell her she has no photo with her daughter on her wedding day.

18 Comments

Latest activity by Becky, on July 23, 2019 at 11:00
  • Becky
    VIP September 2019 Ontario
    Becky ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am so so sorry to hear this! This is not okay in any level and I would suggest what Natasha said below however at no cost to you. This should be 100% up to her to pay and if she can get photos backk then small refund for what happned

• Natasha
    Newbie February 2022 Ontario
    Natasha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow that really sucks!
    Im a photographer myself and even though I double back up my cards- I have heard of the camera SD cards malfunctioning. (This has never happened to me). This being said YOU CAN PAY TO RECOVER CARDS. Tell the photographer to look into recovering options. It’s super expensive... but WORTH IT. Even if you pay for it a bit yourself. Good luck!
  • Katherine
    Curious August 2021 Prince Edward Island
    Katherine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    My heart shattered as I read that. I’m glad she offered you somewhat of a refund, hopefully the amount seemed fair enough. You could always put that money that you received back to go towards another photographer and maybe re-create the shots? Put the dress back on and take photos that way. Even if there’s no photos, everyone still holds the memories in their hearts.
  • K
    Frequent user September 2024 Nova Scotia
    Kelly ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

My heart breaks for you Michelle. I hope that you can come to a reasonable agreement, but I know what you mean, those photos can't be replaced Smiley sad

• Bianca
    Master August 2019 Ontario
    Bianca ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Oh no Michelle, that is awful. Have you had a chance to talk to your photographer yet? Did you decide on what you want as compensation for your loss? You definitely deserve something for this.

• B
    Newbie June 2020 Ontario
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear that. Unfortunately most photographers I know of do not use double or backup memory cards. They should invest in doing that...

• Miav
    Devoted September 2020 Alberta
    Miav ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't mind me asking, who is the photographer?

• Tamara
    Frequent user July 2019 Nova Scotia
    Tamara ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

So heartbreaking! Were any other family members around snatching photos along with the photographer? I find most of the weddings I have been to there is always a family member taking photos beside the photographer on their phone because they like the shots too.

I agree with the others that there should be some recovery software to retrieve the photos. It's happened with work cameras before and our IT department was always able to get them up and going. I've even deleted a photo from the card before and they were able to restore the file. Definitely look into it.

• Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    This is heartbreaking. It's possible it can be repaired though. I would get the card from her and find somewhere to bring it and have it looked at.
  • Rhonda
    Newbie July 2020 Alberta
    Rhonda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There are recovery programs that the photographer can look online for and sometimes they are free. Also, I just talked right now to someone who had this happen and he said the photographer can try reformatting the card IN THE CAMERA IN WHICH THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN and the choice should come up where they are asked if they want to keep the 'old' photos. Good luck!!
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Keep your fingers crossed people got some unprofessional pics so at least you'll have that. Reach out to any guests... you never know some candid shots can turn out to be incredible. Everyone has their phones out at weddings. Good luck and I hope that the card can be repaired.
  • Allison
    Master October 2019 Ontario
    Allison ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

That's is so insane, very sorry this happened to you!!

Sometimes the memory card can be repaired and the photos can be recovered, so I would start there. Ask your photographer if they can take it in to get someone to look at it.

If all else fails, they are willing to give you a partial refund - even though no amount of money can make up for their mistake.

• Mystica
    Beginner August 2020 British Columbia
    Mystica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    That is devastating, & nothing will be able to compensate this loss. However, I don’t think you should be aiming to get a complete refund, but negotiate something fair if the partial refund seems minor. I’m sure the company feels awful for their error, & never intended it to happen as their reputation is on the line. Hope you can salvage something from the memory card Smiley sad
  • Tiffany
    Frequent user August 2023 Ontario
    Tiffany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I am so sorry that this is happened to you. This is one of my nightmares as well. As a photographer by trade (not weddings) I would be frustrated and angry.

You have the full right to ask for a portion of your money back and there should have been a back up card.

I am again so sorry.
  • L
    Curious August 2021 Alberta
    Lindsay ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Oh my that awful! Can the photographer give you the corrupted card? If it’s a SD cards you sometimes can have them repaired, I’ve done it myself at home. I would still ask for a partial refund as well, fingers crossed they can sort it out for you!
  • Sharlene
    Expert August 2019 Alberta
    Sharlene ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Omg my heart breaks for you.
  • Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Ridicoulous!

Professional photographers always have a back up of memory cards and camera if anything to ensure it works even before they start their session. She is offering a partial refund, accept it from her mistake.

its sad to give the news to your mother and the family when they ask about the pictures. Even for yourself to see what could have been of the memories of the day.

• Kelsie
    Master July 2021 Ontario
    Kelsie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Wow. Ridiculous.

I would ask for more of a refund, although I’m not sure if you’ll get more than half.

youre right it’s more emotional than monetary at this point. Did any guests happen to get photos of your photos with family? Maybe you can see if any one else has any?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics