Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kathy
Curious June 2022 Ontario

Photographer?

Kathy, on January 24, 2021 at 11:41 Posted in Wedding ceremony 1 20

Hi Everyone,

We are planning (with any luck) to get married on August 28, 2021. This as many of you has been postponed once already. Our wedding will be fairly small (40-45 tops). The ceremony isn't until 5:30pm.

I do want to get a professional photographer but don't really need or want the whole day service. I'm not really interested in pictures of my shoes, getting ready etc.

I would like to only have them for the ceremony and part of the reception. As we are having something on the small side I don't think we will be doing a full on dance party type thing. There will be music playing in the background after dinner. Probably more chatting and laughing than dancing. It feels weird dancing with such a small group lol.

I'm having a hard time finding a photographer that does less than a full day. Is it possible to have a photographer for only say 4 hours?

I know they want to make it worth their while. Am I the only one that doesn't want all those extra pics of invitation's, bouquets etc?

I just want pictures of my family, friends and soon to be husband!

Any advice?

PS any friends that would be good at taking photos will be at the wedding. I don't want them to have to "work".

Thanks ladies Smiley smile

20 Comments

Latest activity by Rayanne, on June 27, 2022 at 21:41
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I had my photographer for 4 hours on my wedding day. We had a first look, family pictures and then the ceremony. It was the perfect amount of time for us.
  • BarbarMariela
    North Carolina
    BarbarMariela ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can easily discuss all the conditions with the photographer. I think you can book a photographer for a few hours. Why don't you want to capture the moment of preparation, the meeting of the newlyweds and others? I think it's very cool to have memorable wedding photos in the family album. By the way, when my husband and I were getting married, we had several photographers. They captured each moment. At https://alyissalandriphoto.com , you can check out the services of one of them. We got mostly digital photos, as we decided to print only a few.

• Kathy
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooooh thank you!! I will have a look Smiley smile

• Kathy
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats awesome!! Thank you Smiley smile

• Rachel
    Frequent user September 2022 Alberta
    Rachel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I wish I could be of more help but I'm in Alberta. I will say the best tip I received from a videographer friend is to post on local wedding groups on Facebook seeking services. That way you can say exactly what you want without reaching out to 30 photographers individually who turn out to be out of your budget or not your style, and then your vendors are reaching out to you instead. It's definitely possible to find good photographers for a partial day, we are only paying ours for 3 or 4 hours. Good luck!
  • Michelle
    Curious September 2021 Ontario
    Michelle ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

In my search for a photographer I found that the 'Wedding Photographers' really only had full day packages to make it worth their while (6+ hours, plus retouching), because they're almost always booked and someone out there will pay them for the full day packages.

But there are a TON of talented photographers who do weddings who aren't marketed as wedding photographers and who would likely cover your wedding and charge by the hour + retouching time. There is never a shortage of people who love to do photography!

I recommend looking on Instagram for people in your area whose work you really like, or check out Women Who Freelance, or photography groups on Facebook. There's someone out there who can come up with a package that suits your needs!

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Ours sounds very similar to what you have planned. We had Jeremy do such a fantastic job with our wedding and he had a 6 hour contract option which we picked since we had a small day too. His vendor info is on my profile Smiley smile
  • Rayanne
    Master June 2022 Ontario
    Rayanne ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I have seen a lot that are offering smaller microwedding packages lately, many who would never have offered the smaller packages before. I find them on the fb wedding sites. You can even put up a post stating what you are looking for and they will contact you then you can go through what they offer and pick.
  • Patricia
    Frequent user July 2021 Ontario
    Patricia ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Our photographer has packages and one was just like “a la crate” for minimum amount of hours! If you find a photographer you like you could always ask if they’d do a custom package!
  • Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    If there's photographers who are interested in, make sure you reach out to them! Some offer smaller wedding packages, they just don't list them as it is better for them to be booked for 8 hours. But definitely reach out and ask!
  • Kathy
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ohhh cool! I will check this out. Thank you!

• Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You could email the faculty head of a photography program at your local college for them to send to their students and have anyone interested email you. The only thing is, you get what you pay for. A lot of students don't have experience shooting weddings but if you're not picky at all, then it could work out.

• Desiree
    Frequent user August 2021 Ontario
    Desiree ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I lucked out and looked around and some photographers have a package I believe its called short and sweet and it’s not the full service it’s on hrs needed
  • Gloria
    Expert October 2022 Ontario
    Gloria ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    There’s quiet a few actually that offer smaller packages. Checkout some photographers on wedding wire and see what packages they offer Smiley smile
  • Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course hun! Anytime Smiley heart

• Kathy
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhh great idea! Didn't think of that. TY!

• Amanda
    Featured August 2022 British Columbia
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would also check out your local facebook wedding sell/swap groups. A lot of up and coming photographers are on there as well to boost their portfolios

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Internet search forcollege photographers on Kijiji site

• Kathy
    Kathy ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I actually thought of that as well but have no idea how to go about it Smiley sad. Especially now with students not actually going to class. Any ideas?

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Students in college starting out in the field may be an option on the lower cost and time they can give for the ceremony and reception. Check this option out as oppose to a professional that may not give you the time for more money.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics