Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Abigail
Curious May 2022 British Columbia

Photobooth options

Abigail, on June 15, 2021 at 14:35 Posted in DIY 4 25

I really really want a photobooth of some kind at the wedding but I don't WANT to hire/rent a photobooth because it just goes over our budget when I'd rather allocate it for other parts of the wedding that I'm realizing we need.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a cost friendly DIY photobooth, that still is fun and not too much work for the guests? I saw this on tiktok but doesn't seem to be available in Canada: https://www.amazon.ca/Tastemakers-Polaroid-at-Home-Instant-Photo/dp/B08P2DM55G/ref=pd_ybh_a_11?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=21PF982RA4B0XV56F0TY

It retails for $300USD which IMO isn't horrible because it's a reusable thing (was thinking I would purchase it prior to bachelorette/bachelor and we could use it then as well, and then for the wedding and birthdays, etc).

25 Comments

Latest activity by Kathryn, on June 22, 2021 at 22:43
  • Kathryn
    Beginner October 2021 Alberta
    Kathryn ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We're renting one from a company for $250 for the day which I think is pretty reslasonable? It connects to the guests phones and I think a digital album for us to view.

Other ideas, we went to a family wedding where they had a polarid and a scrapbook to put the photos in. I don't think it was terrible in price for the film and such.
    You could also get a cheap 'selfie' ring light with a stand off Amazon and have a phone or iPad set up to it and DIY a backdrop Smiley smile tap and go.
  • Kelsey
    Frequent user June 2022 Ontario
    Kelsey ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I'm thinking of doing some sort of a DIY photo area in a corner of our venue. I'll make some kind of backdrop and then rig up an iPad or tablet to the back of a chair or something pointed at the backdrop, and have it open to a camera app that you can signal to take the picture by doing a hand motion. That's my idea anyways
  • Sarah
    Expert August 2021 British Columbia
    Sarah ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Check out in the mix productions they are reasonably priced
  • Christine
    Newbie May 2022 British Columbia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi!

Look up Photo Culture on IG. Ask for Joanna.Photobooth options 1
  • Abigail
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh! Would you mind sharing the company with me? (Also, hello fellow May 2022 bride!)

• Christine
    Newbie May 2022 British Columbia
    Christine ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Hi!

I was going back and forth for a photo booth or not, but I want photos as part of my guestbook and stumbled upon a photo booth company on fb marketplace, and they will beat any quote you find. That way they can help direct people to get a photo and put it in the book. I'm getting the 2 strip option.

Worked out to $150 per hour, and they are amazing to deal with. The wedding wire vendors are overly priced, I asked a lot of quotes.

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Another source of having a backdrop is making a cardboard size of you two as a couple and placing it so guests who always bring a camera or use their phone can ask others to take it for them and vice versa. Its a great concept to have a nice backdrop along of your favourite scenery or just draped. A frame made from a coloured cardboard and your names and date on it for guests to use it how they feel is their best choice. The frame can be placed on the table and a note to say photos welcome with the frame. A DIY project that isn't costing you anything and you have solutions to work around spending an expensive budget.
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    There's always the Instamax/Polaroid route.
  • Abigail
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I was hoping for a more immediate physical copy but this is on our list in case we don’t end up doing a booth!
  • Venessa
    Newbie June 2023 Ontario
    Venessa ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Babe, Buy disposable cameras and put them on each of your tables!! Then your guests can take pictures of each other! ♥️😊
  • Tunisha
    Super October 2021 Ontario
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh damn, that’s crazy with the resellers. 🤦🏽‍♀️

Ah yeah, in that case, the last photo would be a nice additional to getting that great backdrop then have a ring light and they can take their selfies 🤳 or have the photographer take some photos there.
    Let us know your end plan. Good luck! You got this!
  • Hank
    Featured September 2021 Ontario
    Hank ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

You can run a photo app off a tablet or laptop and hook it up to a photo printer. You just need to buy sheets of photo paper if you already have a compatible printer.

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Same!! We put them on our fridge for a bit but then I'd appreciate digital copies so we thought that's good enough (I looked into a mini photo printer etc). I didn't love that we/our guests couldn't have the photos right away BUT the quality was significantly better so 🤷🏻‍♀️.
  • Abigail
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahaha, that's so cute!!! Sending prints is actually a really good idea with the thank you card, that was really my main concern about doing it digitally is that I love a physical copy, and since we're not doing any wedding favours I thuoght doing a photobooth that printed copies right away would be a better alternative!

• C
    Super December 2020 Ontario
    Carmel ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We wanted one so badly too as our wedding was originally NYE but it was about $600 for us so no thanks. We had a perfect wall to use at the venue and so I had a bunch of ideas incorporating my love of balloons haha. NYE is great for a photobooth!! We just bought props at party stores (all stick props... I don't like actual gross props you put on, and covid lol). One had two customizable ones for our names and hashtag. We had planned to use a tripod and an iPad with a customizable photobooth app (I think LumaBooth was the one I was going to get for a month) where guests could immediately send themselves the photos but we would also have them for ourselves with our logo/grid we created. In the end, because of covid and having two photographers for 11 hours, we decided it made more sense to have one running the photobooth and taking fantastic photos for our guests. We sent digital copies afterwards and prints with our thank you cards. We only had it "open" from after dinner and speeches etc until just before our midnight toast (yes even though our wedding was in March in the end we still celebrated NYE 😂). Here's a picture! Unfortunately we had issues with the balloons the day before and then mounting it so we were like k good enough but now see it wasn't quite as high as we thought 🤣 Photobooth options 2
  • Brittany
    Devoted December 2022 Yucatán
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If that is an option - it doesn't seem so bad. If you think about it; no one is really going to take photos during the ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, speeches, dessert/cake cutting and the first dances (if you are doing all that) and by the time that is done, it would probably be around 6:30 - 7:30 pm. This is the time when people are starting to drink more now that dinner is over and the speeches are done - the party starts. So the drinks are making them more comfortable and they will want to take some photos with everyone. By 2-3 hours it will be around 10 pm and this is when it gets more rowdy in the crowd and for some weddings the end of the party.

So it might not be a bad idea, especially if it is a cheaper option than the others you have been looking at.

On amazon they have those exact ring lights with the prop to keep the phone up for 30-50 and then they can put their own photo in and they only other thing you have to worry about is a back drop!

• Abigail
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it shows $1000 because we don't sell it here so they're resellers. I love all of those photos though, specially the bottom one! Our reception area is half outside half inside (inside for eating, bar will actually be set up outside) but I don't think it has QUITE the backdrop like yours, but that is worth noting!

• Abigail
    Abigail ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A rental booth costs about $300-500 here for a 2 hour rental, which imo isn't very long or I'd have to rent them for after the dinner/speeches/etc. so people have more time with it?

• Liberty
    Featured May 2022 Alberta
    Liberty ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    I plan on attaching a backdrop to the wall at our venue and having a table set up with props (which will mostly be bought from the dollar store) then I was thinking about setting up a tripod people can put their phones on to take photos and we will have a sign with our wedding hastag so we can see the pictures!
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Anhhhhhh that’s amazing!!!!! So happy for you have that covered and done.

I just need to create the filter idea, since I have the nature background already.
  • Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's literally what were using but since we don't know anyone who has one we are just renting it. The place we are having the wedding has exposed brick so we don't really need a background for it - its perfect!

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh that’s a cool idea too Brittany.

I cannot locate anything like that here in Ottawa. That sounds pretty cool. Thanks for that idea, I’ll use our cousin’s big ring light and have a DIY project for the backdrop/photo filter. Haha
  • Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Also, the idea you show is really nice. But that’s quite expensive when I checked, maybe because where we live. But that shows $1,000. But again, depends on what your idea can be. You can also look at the following below… I am looking into these as well.

Photobooth options 3
    Photobooth options 4
    Photobooth options 5

• Brittany
    Brittany ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

If you don't mind me asking - how much does it cost to rent a photo booth in B.C? There is a vendor in Edmonton that has the simple ring light with a screen in the middle to take photos that people can send to their phones right after the photo has been taken and this is only $155 for the evening. Do they have something like that in the place where you are getting married?

Because I am also on a tight budget and was able to come across something like this that is actually an added extra for us because it is so cheap.

• Tunisha
    Tunisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    Hello Abigail 👋🏾
    I was looking into photo booth idea as well.

Because our ceremony is outside and this is our background (see photos). We will create a filter looking idea (see other photo) to have the background be the filler.
    Photobooth options 6
    Photobooth options 7
    Photobooth options 8
    Do you have any outdoors that can face a beautiful tree or flowers? In this case, you can look into something like that…

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics