Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Joey
WeddingWire Admin May 2015 Maryland

Pet parenting - do you and your spouse have the same ideas about pets?

Joey, on June 18, 2018 at 08:40 Posted in Living together 0 9

Moving in together provides many more changes and challenges than just figuring out who does the chores. Are you and your partner on the same page about pets? Do you like the same kind? Have you decided on the number you should have? Are you in agreement about setting rules for the pets?

Do you and your spouse have the same ideas about pet parenting?

Pet parenting - do you and your spouse have the same ideas about pets? 1

Photo by Trav John Photography in Orangeville

9 Comments

Latest activity by Emma, on May 1, 2020 at 21:29
  • Emma
    Curious May 2019 Ontario
    Emma ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When we moved in together after the wedding, I knew my husband wanted a dog. At the time, he was working a job where he would be away for three weeks at a time. About 4 months after we got married, we were able to find him a job close to home. He had already asked me (more so jokingly) a few times about a dog. I grew up mostly with cats and only with outdoor pets - he grew up with indoor cats and dogs. Leaving his old job, however, was a big deal, and fate would have it that a family friend had lab puppies - we had discussed breeds loosely, but I knew these would be great dogs. I contacted them about viewing the pups, wrapped up a collar, and gave it to my husband as a present the day he came home from his last three weeks away. We went to see the puppies the next day and (of course) he fell in love with one and we agreed to get him. Ryder was initially supposed to be an outdoor dog - he was supposed to spend the first night in the garage, which quickly turned into a kennel in my kitchen. Before I knew it, my husband had Ryder's bed in the living room and now, the dog sleeps at the foot of the bed at night. Although we had our differences about it, I really came around to the idea of having an indoor dog - I knew my husband would be strict with training him to ensure my house was not destroyed (he took the lead on the training, having had indoor dogs growing up). We are incredibly lucky that Ryder is a great dog. We are coming up on our first anniversary and almost 8 months of having our pup. I have definitely become more of a dog person - the next battle will just be convincing my husband to let us get an indoor cat.

• Geneviève
    VIP September 2020 Ontario
    Geneviève ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content
    We do! We love our current pets and agree about the pets we want later in life
  • Amanda
    Super June 2019 Ontario
    Amanda ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes we both love our pets !!

• Vinod
    Top August 2017 Ontario
    Vinod ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

When I moved in with my husband (boyfriend) in 2014, I become and parent to his dog Peanut too. He was a wonderful boy and always remembered since he passed away June 4, 2015 at the age of 16 1/2. Before the wedding, we become parents to 2 teacup Chihuahuas for the simple reason of being small and allergy free (less to fine hair) for me. They are loving and caring yet protective. He had gotten another one from the next litter after and stopped there. 2 is more than enough to handle at this point.

As for training the dogs, I have done that so far and the alpha in a way whereas my husband shouts at them for them to understand him better. We have some rules set for them and when giving treats and food.

• Jessica
    Super March 2018 Ontario
    Jessica ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

I am more of a pet person than my husband, but we decided to get a dog when we moved back to Canada about 3 years into our relationship. She has been a huge handful, and we've had some arguments about how to go about it, but we're managing now about how to train her and care for her. Definitely a learning experience.

• Erin
    Master September 2017 Ontario
    Erin ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are sometimes on the same page about pets. My husband would really like a tortoise or a chameleon whereas I would like something more normal like a dog lol

• Jessie
    Expert September 2018 Ontario
    Jessie ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Yes we are both on the same page with our dog. He is our baby

• Kaisha
    Super March 2019 Nova Scotia
    Kaisha ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

We are both dog people and I got a dog about a month into our relationship, fast forward about 5 years and we now have 2 dogs and are living together. We both grew up with dogs so we definitely understand what taking care of them involves. We have it split up pretty equally and we both spoil our dogs in different ways.

• Tori
    Top October 2019 Manitoba
    Tori ·
    • Dispute
    • Hide content

Well, I have a dog. Her name is Zoey. I like to spoil her but my FH is not so happy about that Smiley tongue She is definitely not going to be let on the bed as much and I'm going to be responsible for cleaning up after her. As for him - he wants a cat. How a dog and a cat person get along so well stumps me!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

Groups

WeddingWire Article Topics